NEWS Morris: don't question our culture

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
HScreenshot 2021 03 17 Fifita quit for cash Broncos boss slams culture concerns

Brisbane chairman Karl Morris, who at first rejected the Kevolution, and then paid a million dollar ransom to flush his mistake, insists there was no culture problem:

“People who want to question our culture ... let’s be honest, David Fifita was offered a $1.2 million deal by the Titans. We felt the position was worth $800,000 and we felt that was right for David at this stage of his career. If other clubs wish to overpay or the Titans wanted to fix a problem they felt they had by paying a lot more than we were prepared to, well that’s their option. That’s the reality of it all. It was an option process. We got to a point where we said ‘this is what we are prepared to pay and we won’t go further’."

“I’m not going to say what the Titans have done is wrong, but the maths just didn’t work for the Broncos at the moment. David is a tremendous talent and we didn’t want to lose him ideally, but every asset can be mis-priced. How do you balance up the short-term and long-term contracts to have the best of both worlds? Sometimes it’s impossible."

Hv3imagesbindd56b6e9ae301a0b09caa490a31545eb rzp89d5w3hwggdsc8u2

Culture coming out of our arse

“The culture wasn’t a factor at all. It wasn’t a great year for the Broncos and I’m not saying the environment Dave found himself in was helpful. But would Dave have left for $100,000 more or $400,000 more? Who knows. Dave as a 20-year-old had to decide between $800,000 and $1.2 million. That’s a huge differential. He has a short window as an athlete to make that sort of money so I wish David all the best and hope he succeeds at the Titans.”

“Every team in the NRL has the same amount of money to spend under the salary cap, it’s how you best allocate that resource. It’s simple maths. Everyone has a fixed amount to spend under the cap and the teams that do best handle their salary cap better than others. It’s imperative to get your contract structure right."

“The No. 1 desire of every football team is having the talent to be in the top four, but also having an eye to the future. As the talent comes up, the risk is you do have a David Fifita who can get poached from you. It’s not only what’s in your cap, it’s what is the right amount of money to pay someone. I’m a bit bemused that the Broncos board gets criticism. We aren’t sitting in on recruitment meetings, we aren’t sitting in retention meetings, that’s for the CEO, the coach and the head of performance. The board does not perform the executive’s roles. That’s what they are paid to do.”

Gold Coast co-owner Darryl Kelly said:

“The fact he is a highly-paid player to me is immaterial. He’s only got to do his job. He doesn’t have to win every game for us. It’s a team sport. The other players have to get to the level they were at (last year) so he can do that one-percenter that wins you a game. If they don’t do their job, he can’t do his. He is still a young player learning the game. He thinks Justin (Holbrook, coach) can teach him a lot more about playing football.”

Justin Holbrook said he wasn’t fazed either:

“He is the best young forward in our game. With the bigger dollars you want them to be game-changers, not necessarily what position they play. He will be fine (with the salary expectations). One thing I have said to him is not to worry about that. He is coming to play back row in our team and that’s it. Yeah, he’s getting paid a lot of money but that doesn’t matter to me. He just needs to come on and do his job in the back row for us. That’s what I assured him. There is a bit of expectation there but I just want him to come and play footy. I am excited to be coaching him. He is so young and raw. There is a lot of upside to that. He is not a goalkicking halfback. He doesn’t have a big expectation as a team member.”

McHunt

Last edited:
since when do chairmen publicly declare the exact amount of offers And counter-offers. Comes across as absolute sour grapes and possibly untrue. Surely there is a privacy agreement in place? If I were Dave I’d be exploring my legal avenues.

since when do chairmen publicly declare the exact amount of offers And counter-offers. Comes across as absolute sour grapes and possibly untrue. Surely there is a privacy agreement in place? If I were Dave I’d be exploring my legal avenues.

I take your point but I think every contract should be open.

"David is a tremendous talent and we didn’t want to lose him ideally, but every asset can be mis-priced."

I wouldn't be coming out and saying that David Fifita was "mis-priced" the week you have to play against him. I hope Dave Donaghy tells our board members to shut their stupid mouths, Lockyer included.

"David is a tremendous talent and we didn’t want to lose him ideally, but every asset can be mis-priced."

I wouldn't be coming out and saying that David Fifita was "mis-priced" the week you have to play against him. I hope Dave Donaghy tells our board members to shut their stupid mouths, Lockyer included.

Karl Morris is news corps representative on our board ... Donaghy wouldn't have much of a say in it

Jeez mate how hard is it to say no comment.

He's just given the media ammunition for articles over the next week.... the playing group will now be asked shit questions like "do you believe Fifita was over paid, because your chairman does"

as i said before he is news corps (our majority shareholders) representative on our board ... when his masters say jump, his only response is going to be "how high?"

What if David Fifita was part of the "culture problem?"
Exactly.

A player who has had got himself into strife twice in a short career and had to pay off people on two separate occasions, including one resulting in the club being investigated for a salary cap infringement.

The concern to me, is that the board are not sitting in on contractual and or recruitment meetings. It completely explains the shit show the club had gotten itself into. It is also further proof that Bennett had the reins in this department, which is fruther backed up by the stacking of Saints, Newcastle, Broncos and now Souths. This muppet needs to cop one fair on the chin and admit the board has given too much freedom to lower level execs that have put the club in a bad place.

Oh and Player Options FFS.

Last edited:
At least after this year we'll only have one player with options left, which is Lodge for 2023 & 2024.

Turps has one for next year iirc

edit: and Staggs

Last edited:
as i said before he is news corps (our majority shareholders) representative on our board ... when his masters say jump, his only response is going to be "how high?"
News Corp aren’t going to say anything because Lachlan is on the other side of the world and doesn’t take an interest in the club. If they did they would have sacked Morris for incompetence a long time ago.

Jeez mate how hard is it to say no comment.

He's just given the media ammunition for articles over the next week.... the playing group will now be asked shit questions like "do you believe Fifita was over paid, because your chairman does"
To be fair when he says Fifita was 'mis-priced' he could mean we 'mis-priced' him!! I don't think so but we could have. The other JT was priced at $1,000,000 a season 4 years ago so maybe we did mis-price Fifita. I don't really care though but I thought 800k was too much.

The concern to me, is that the board are not sitting in on contractual and or recruitment meetings. It completely explains the shit show the club had gotten itself into. It is also further proof that Bennett had the reins in this department, which is fruther backed up by the stacking of Saints, Newcastle, Broncos and now Souths. This muppet needs to cop one fair on the chin and admit the board has given too much freedom to lower level execs that have put the club in a bad place.

How does the claim that the CEO, the Head of Performance AND the coach perform this task indicate that Bennett had sole responsibility? That Bennett had the reins? It kind of indicates to me that three people ran the show. What am I missing?

Get what you’re saying but the board of an NRL club shouldn’t have to sign off on every player contract.. That’s why they employ coaches, CEOs and football directors. Unfortunately in the case of the Broncos, those responsible for carrying out that task over recent years have lacked the smarts to do it well.
It won’t happen under Dave Donaghy’s watch

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fatboy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Big Del
  • HarryAllan7
  • ChewThePhatt
  • davidp
  • Fozz
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.