Most underated/under achieved footballers on the planet

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Victor Valdes, I am biased but because of the sheer awesomeness of Casillas people just ignore how superb this guy has become. He has the odd hiccup but no more than Buffon, Cech, Casillas or Reina do in fact I watched the highlights of Juve's loss to Bordeaux the other day and Buffon could take partial blame for both goals. Valdes is great coming off the line and is one of the games best shot stoppers, I also rate the fact he has great concerntration because with the possession game Barca play he doesn't get a lot of work so when he is called into action he is always sharp. He one the Zamora trophy last season against quality keepers behind a defense that is constantly criticised (although those criticisms are not looking as accurate as they once were).

Never liked Valdes, but he has been on fire for the past 2 years. But before that, he was too inconsistent and not even close to the best few keepers in the world. Right now, he's up there.

Higuain and Lassana Diarra seem to be underrated.

Agree with VV, always has a place at Barca.

Until about last season, I would have said Xavi, but hes finally getting the recognition he deserves.

Also Antonio Cassano always has to be included in these lists. Rarely gets picked for Italy, yet is easily one of Italys best strikers.

Cassano's attitude sucks. He's only ever really performed at the European Championships in 2004, hasn't done anything since and is the worst team mate anyone can have. Had talent no doubt, but never lived up to it and doesn't really deserve to get picked IMO.

never lived up to it? hes been carving up for Sampdoria for the past 2 seasons. theres a reason why Sampdoria are 4th at the moment.

Ok, lets see, he was at Roma for 5 seasons, and got thrown out because he was too much trouble and had problems with Totti. Then he went to Real madrid and barely played due to discipline issues. Now he's at Sampdoria, you call that "living up to it"? Giampaolo Pazzini is the real deal for Sampdoria, he is the one who might get picked for the National team, Cassano had chances to be a great player at 2 big clubs and he wasted them because he's an idiot. Playing for a high profile club would have helped his international career too. Yes, he never lived up to it.

Why do you think he doesn't get called up to the National team? Because he's just not reliable. They don't have time for his immature antics.

thats discipline issues tho. for matchwinners, Cassano is up there.

I'm not denying he's got talent, yes he can be a match winner. But the managers don't trust him. Talent itself isn't enough. I can only say he's an underachiever, not underrated IMO.

If he was underrated, how did he end up at one of the biggest clubs in the world?

I agree with feno, underachiever for sure, but not underrated.

fenomeno said:
Never liked Valdes, but he has been on fire for the past 2 years. But before that, he was too inconsistent and not even close to the best few keepers in the world. Right now, he's up there.

Higuain and Lassana Diarra seem to be underrated.

Yeah Valdes has really stepped up a huge amount in the last 2 years, he is remarkably consistent now when he was remarkably inconsistent just a few years ago. I agree 100% on Higuain, he is just about Reals' most consistent performer and manages to score almost every time they need a goal whether he is starting or off the bench.

Mikel arteta never gets the plaudits he deserves. He would be starting in any other national team midfield in the world and I think if he was playing in Spain he would have accrued some spainish caps by now. I am always dumbfounded that big clubs pay massive overs for average midfielders, but none ever seem interested in mikel.

Yeah it makes no sense that no one has ever tried to take him off you. He is brilliant, you can tell he came through the Barca system and I agree he would walk into almost any other national team.

Unread

Active Now

• Brocko
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.