Movie Thread

Huge

State of Origin Captain
Ipswich
My pleasure, I will be interested in your thoughts.
Thoroughly enjoyed Dark Waters. Thought it was dragged out a bit but overall enjoyable viewing. One scene caught my attention but had nothing to do with the subject matter. It showed me exactly how tiny Mark Ruffalo is ! Shit, even the Hobbit Stallone might be taller!

Back on the movie said midget did a fine job and I think they captured the 'feel' of middle america. Good movie, good recommendation.

Now let me recommend a movie.

Green Book. Rewatched it again just the other night. One scene really stuck with me. 1960's White Mortensen as driver, Black Mahersha Ali in the back seat being driven, broken down on the highway adjacent a field being worked by afro/amer labourers.

I couldn't help but wonder what the field workers thought to see a very obviously wealthy black man being driven around by a white man in the 60s.

Such a good movie(I'm a pianist too, no jokes , heard them all 🙄) and Ali was fantastic. In fact both gave great performances.

Sproj

International Captain
Staff
Thoroughly enjoyed Dark Waters. Thought it was dragged out a bit but overall enjoyable viewing. One scene caught my attention but had nothing to do with the subject matter. It showed me exactly how tiny Mark Ruffalo is ! Shit, even the Hobbit Stallone might be taller!

Back on the movie said midget did a fine job and I think they captured the 'feel' of middle america. Good movie, good recommendation.

Now let me recommend a movie.

Green Book. Rewatched it again just the other night. One scene really stuck with me. 1960's White Mortensen as driver, Black Mahersha Ali in the back seat being driven, broken down on the highway adjacent a field being worked by afro/amer labourers.

I couldn't help but wonder what the field workers thought to see a very obviously wealthy black man being driven around by a white man in the 60s.

Such a good movie(I'm a pianist too, no jokes , heard them all 🙄) and Ali was fantastic. In fact both gave great performances.

Both leads did an amazing job in that movie, excellent actors but overall, the movie just felt a bit bland. Like it was a decent movie but nowhere near best picture of the year good in my opinion.

Huge

State of Origin Captain
Ipswich
Both leads did an amazing job in that movie, excellent actors but overall, the movie just felt a bit bland. Like it was a decent movie but nowhere near best picture of the year good in my opinion.
Sorry, you meant Green Book? I wouldn't nominate it for Best Picture either but sometimes real life is a bit bland. I'm glad they didn't Hollywood it and it spoke to me because, well truthfully I love movies where a piano/pianist features. Not surprisingly that carries over into my choices when thinking about the greatest bands of all time.

holdzy

State of Origin Rep

The acting definitely elevated the film, Deserved acting Oscars imo.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
You’ve got a glitch whenever this movie is mentioned. I don’t get into “Best Movie Lists”.

Sproj

International Captain
Staff
Sorry, you meant Green Book? I wouldn't nominate it for Best Picture either but sometimes real life is a bit bland. I'm glad they didn't Hollywood it and it spoke to me because, well truthfully I love movies where a piano/pianist features. Not surprisingly that carries over into my choices when thinking about the greatest bands of all time.

No problem with you enjoying it and recommending it at all, it certainly wasn't a bad movie. :)

Huge

State of Origin Captain
Ipswich
The acting definitely elevated the film, Deserved acting Oscars imo.
I'm a weirdo on some things but at first I didn't like seeing an overweight, slovenly Viggo Mortensen but I got over my personal distaste...eventually! I even felt a little offended when Ali's character spoke of the great russian composers and left out my all time favourite, Sergei Rachmaninoff (ov)🙁

The Fisherman

QCup Player
I'm a weirdo on some things but at first I didn't like seeing an overweight, slovenly Viggo Mortensen but I got over my personal distaste...eventually! I even felt a little offended when Ali's character spoke of the great russian composers and left out my all time favourite, Sergei Rachmaninoff (ov)🙁
Huge, since your locked up you have to watch The Natural with Robert Redford, made in 1856 but got some good actors in it, particularly if you like baseball, no one in my house lets me watch it anymore, bloody sad situation for me

Huge

State of Origin Captain
Ipswich
Huge, since your locked up you have to watch The Natural with Robert Redford, made in 1856 but got some good actors in it, particularly if you like baseball, no one in my house lets me watch it anymore, bloody sad situation for me
I believe I've seen it but I definitely will try it out again. Oddly enough I saw it on a list quite recently and I'm almost certain it was one of those 'must see' or 50 greatest lists. Thanks for the recommendation.

The Fisherman

QCup Player
I believe I've seen it but I definitely will try it out again. Oddly enough I saw it on a list quite recently and I'm almost certain it was one of those 'must see' or 50 greatest lists. Thanks for the recommendation.
Mate my favourite part is when he hits the ball so hard in the play off that his bat "Wonderboy" which he made himself from wood from the tree under which his Dad died from a heart attack, breaks in half, and the bat boy gives him his own bat called the Savoy Special, of course its a good ending, you have to watch it Huge, I know underneath that tough exterior is a sentimental prick

holdzy

State of Origin Rep

Were they making movies in 1856?

sim.gif

holdzy

State of Origin Rep
Probably not holdzy, I was just trying to say the film is a bit ancient, it was made in 1984 so good while back, Homer does a pretty good impression of the incident, I like it

Pretty great parody of The Natural. Never seen the movie though.

All The President's Men with Redford seems a bit more apt right now.

The Fisherman

QCup Player
Pretty great parody of The Natural. Never seen the movie though.

All The President's Men with Redford seems a bit more apt right now.
Seen All The Presidents Men, top show, they don't seem to make movies like that these days, get a hold of The Natural mate, I reckon you will enjoy it, good story line, has a great cast, Wikipedia gives a good run down on the plot

holdzy

State of Origin Rep
Seen All The Presidents Men, top show, they don't seem to make movies like that these days, get a hold of The Natural mate, I reckon you will enjoy it, good story line, has a great cast, Wikipedia gives a good run down on the plot

Yeah I've probably seen enough parodies of it to piece the whole movie together, I don't know, just nothing grabs me to watch it. The only baseball movie that I like that I can think of is Field of Dreams.

And of course this:
ed.jpg

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Peñíscola
I watched The Intern the other day.

I don't know exactly what I was expecting, but it turned out to be quite a wholesome film. Not the kind of role I'm used to seeing Bobby De Niro play, but fair dinkum that bloke can act.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.