Movie Thread

FaithinHook

NRL Player
From what i have read,SBC wanted to movie to delve deeper into the 'darker' side of Freddies life. May said no, so SBC walked.

Personally i would have liked the movie to carry on a little further past the Live Aid period.

Queen still had plenty of life in them after 1985.
Yeah, I have read a few reviews where that seems to be a common thread in terms of criticism regarding the film not delving too deeply into Freddie's hedonistic lifestyle/HIV diagnosis etc. It wasn't completely ignored but the focus was certainly more about celebrating the music. I didn't have the highest of expectations going in to watch as I wasn't sure what direction May and Taylor would take the film. In the end though, I thought it was bloody brilliant.

I think the Live Aid performance was kind of a pinnacle moment for the band though so in that respect, it was certainly ending the movie on a high note - pardon the pun :)

Last edited:

FaithinHook

NRL Player
I don't know if a streamed movie counts but I just enjoyed Green Book. Starts a little slowly and I wasn't hopeful after seeing a heavy version of Viggo Mortensen but by mid movie I was invested. Pretty well handled treatment of a racism issue in 60s USA and close to my heart on the musical side with Mahershala Ali playing the piano.

It had plenty of moments but the one that stuck was Viggo as the bodyguard/chaffeur/tour manager and Ali broken down adjacent a field being worked with hand tools by African-Americans. White Italian Viggo driving the immaculately tailored Ali. Couldn't help but think despite it's incongruity a few field hands must have thought a better life could be achieved. Mind you I'm a whitey so wtf would I know
Saw the preview for it and looks like an interesting flick. Whenever I see Viggo in a new movie though I just can't help but see him as Aragorn every time! He too is a fantastic actor.

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Saw a preview for Clint Eastwood's upcoming movie - The Mule. Can't wait, looks fantastic. The thing with Eastwood is, he rarely makes a shit movie.

holdzy89

NRL Captain
Saw a preview for Clint Eastwood's upcoming movie - The Mule. Can't wait, looks fantastic. The thing with Eastwood is, he rarely makes a shit movie.
Rarely makes a shit movie, but hasn’t made a classic in quite a while imo. Middle ground stuff mostly, sniffing for an Oscar.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
From what i have read,SBC wanted to movie to delve deeper into the 'darker' side of Freddies life. May said no, so SBC walked.

Personally i would have liked the movie to carry on a little further past the Live Aid period.

Queen still had plenty of life in them after 1985.
I get that it’s a celebration of his life, and there was only one and only ever will be one FM, but it does feel like a rip-off when they deliberately falsify the timeline to suit the narrative. Not in such a crucial way anyway. It’s effectively made it a fictional story.

soup

State of Origin Rep
I get that it’s a celebration of his life, and there was only one and only ever will be one FM, but it does feel like a rip-off when they deliberately falsify the timeline to suit the narrative. Not in such a crucial way anyway. It’s effectively made it a fictional story.
Agree, the SBS documentary in the last month was fucking brilliant; warts and all.

Last edited:

soup

State of Origin Rep
Check out Mowgli on Netflix. My partner and I loved it as a new age Tarzan-type flick. Really well done.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
Saw the preview for it and looks like an interesting flick. Whenever I see Viggo in a new movie though I just can't help but see him as Aragorn every time! He too is a fantastic actor.
Trust me, you won't see Aragon in this. It's reported that he put on 24 kilos of fat to play the role and ****, didn't he shovel some tucker down during the movie!

holdzy89

NRL Captain
Vice - Bale killed it, with a bit of Patrick Bateman thrown in for good measure. An uneven film though. 3.5/5.

Glass - much better than some of the reviews are saying. The performances are top notch. I found the end very moving. 4/5.

holdzy89

NRL Captain
Bohemian Rhapsody. Look, it’s all about Malek’s performance isn’t it, which is really good. What the film succeeds with is due to two things, his performance and the music. The rest of the film is almost Hallmark channel worthy, it’s truly a bad film with agenda and bias sprayed all over it by Brian May and that total stud muffin drummer. Worth watching once for Malek’s performance and enjoying the music of Queen, but in every other aspect, writing, directing and support acting, it’s a let down.

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Mary Poppins Returns (don't ask)

Was okay, dragged on for fucking ages though. It was over 2 long - needed to be like 1.5 hours.

Allo

NRL Captain
Just watched Scott Pilgrim (now on Netflix) for the first time.

I get it, but at the same time I really don’t get it. Like at all.

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is a mess. It's a compromised adaptation that tries to stay faithful to the graphic novels, but doesn't have the character development that helped made the story enjoyable. Further, there were plot devices in the graphic novels that are referred to in the movies, but are brushed over. For instance, Nega-Scott plays a significant role in the books, in the movie it's played for a cheap gag that fails to land.

It would have worked better as a TV series, but if they went with the movie, they needed to make more changes. Some lines don't land as well because of poor line delivery or because they don't make as much sense without the proper context.

The question I find myself wondering is whether the source material is that good to begin with. I was at that right age to appreciate the coming of age stuff, but maybe the writing and the characters were always poor?

I do think the movie has a few things going for it. The OST is a lot of fun, the video game adaptation is a fantastic beat-em-up if you can get your hands on it and some of the casting choices were spot on. A lot of the actors went onto do bigger and better things which is sweet and Kieran Culkin was the star of the movie.

Strangely, the part I find myself hating the most is Michael Cera. I didn't like how they changed the character to suit his socially awkward eccentricities and thought the movie relied too heavily on that interpretation of the character.

Allo

NRL Captain
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is a mess. It's a compromised adaptation that tries to stay faithful to the graphic novels, but doesn't have the character development that helped made the story enjoyable. Further, there were plot devices in the graphic novels that are referred to in the movies, but are brushed over. For instance, Nega-Scott plays a significant role in the books, in the movie it's played for a cheap gag that fails to land.

It would have worked better as a TV series, but if they went with the movie, they needed to make more changes. Some lines don't land as well because of poor line delivery or because they don't make as much sense without the proper context.

The question I find myself wondering is whether the source material is that good to begin with. I was at that right age to appreciate the coming of age stuff, but maybe the writing and the characters were always poor?

I do think the movie has a few things going for it. The OST is a lot of fun, the video game adaptation is a fantastic beat-em-up if you can get your hands on it and some of the casting choices were spot on. A lot of the actors went onto do bigger and better things which is sweet and Kieran Culkin was the star of the movie.

Strangely, the part I find myself hating the most is Michael Cera. I didn't like how they changed the character to suit his socially awkward eccentricities and thought the movie relied too heavily on that interpretation of the character.
Yeah Kieran was so good. Young Neil was funny as hell too

Maybe it slipped past me, and it’s probably more a comic book thing, but the video game stuff felt like it was thrown at the script and whatever stuck, stayed in and was never really explained or acknowledged. I’m assuming it’s a mechanic/metaphor for the over-arcing theme or virtues the film is trying to convey, but it all kinda felt a bit off. Particularly when it’s juxtaposed with the ‘normal’ characters of Stacey, Wallace and the band in the same scenes.

Ramona, to me, is used interestingly as the dream girl, who really is just a very bland character with little to no depth. Guessing this was supposed to be another ‘lesson’ to not worship people blindly.

The cuts back to Cera with the hat on after a hair comment is made got funnier every time though.

I see what they were trying to achieve, and can appreciate the style and whatever, but it just didn’t hit the mark for me.

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
Yeah Kieran was so good. Young Neil was funny as hell too

Maybe it slipped past me, and it’s probably more a comic book thing, but the video game stuff felt like it was thrown at the script and whatever stuck, stayed in and was never really explained or acknowledged. I’m assuming it’s a mechanic/metaphor for the over-arcing theme or virtues the film is trying to convey, but it all kinda felt a bit off. Particularly when it’s juxtaposed with the ‘normal’ characters of Stacey, Wallace and the band in the same scenes.

Ramona, to me, is used interestingly as the dream girl, who really is just a very bland character with little to no depth. Guessing this was supposed to be another ‘lesson’ to not worship people blindly.

The cuts back to Cera with the hat on after a hair comment is made got funnier every time though.

I see what they were trying to achieve, and can appreciate the style and whatever, but it just didn’t hit the mark for me.
My take is that the movie is working from a warped millenal perspective where everything plays out in video game and shonen anime logic. These two forms of entertainment represent an adolescent way of thinking and how these characters perceive these confrontations. From an authors perspective, I can't recall there being a commentary on this perception. The one piece from the movie is when Cera learns to respect himself to overcome Jason Schwartzman, but it's still done in a very video game way. Similarly I'm having a tough time recalling the books, but my take was that Pilgrim was using the seven evil ex's to distract himself from having a REAL relationship. He wasn't mature enough to have that intimacy so everything had to fall in accordance to his head cannon to make sense for him. He learns that this type of thinking is flawed and begins to live a normal life, as does everyone else around him.

I feel every generation has that one movie that tries so hard to represent the youth culture and it ends up failing. For me this was my generation's Reality Bites, a movie that has a lot of the culture, but doesn't quite have the substance to pull it off properly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter