Movie Thread

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by ningnangnong, Nov 21, 2015.

Tags:
    I'd rather he play Smith than try and play Williams. That's why the Genie worked in the first place, because it was one of the early examples of a celebrity basically playing themselves.

Harry Sack likes this.
  1. Tom

Tom State of Origin Rep

Would have gone with Chris Rock.

2. Alec

Alec International Rep

Hannah Gatsby

Sirlee oldman likes this.
    Should've been Shaq.

Tom and Porthoz like this.
  3. Sproj

Sproj

So I'm going to see this tomorrow night:

It's seriously supposed to be the most convoluted mess of Interstellar meets 2012 meets Gravity meets any disaster sci-fi ever and has a HUGE budget. It is supposed to be a total awesomely terrible mess and I'm seeing it in 4D, can't wait!!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  4. Morkel

Morkel

4D? So 3D plus smell? Because there's lots of methane out there.

5. Sproj

Sproj

Well yeah, of course but it includes the moving seats, fireworks, lights, water spray and the old favourite, the seats that punch you in the back. Haha

Morkel likes this.
  6. Morkel

Morkel

Oh, I just realised that, being 4D and based on the universe, the cinemas could instead be offering a distortion of spacetime. So not that? If it's a shit movie, I guess you could say "I just lost 2-3 hours of my life for nothing". Like magic. Or science.

7. Sproj

Sproj

I'm sure it will be terrible but terrible can be fun.

8. Tom

Tom State of Origin Rep

So apparently this was originally going to be the ending to Independence Day. Fmd it would have been awful.

9. Sproj

Sproj

Ok so do yourself a favour and see this movie at the cinema, so much fun!

It really is 2012 meets Interstellar meets Deep Impact meets Armageddon meets Godzilla (interested to know if anyone gets that) meets G.I.Joe meets Skyscraper meets any other disaster movie ever made.

It’s a mess, a beautifully wonderful fun mess that I’ve now seen twice and loved it both times.

It’s completely original in that pretty much every aspect of the story is ripped off from something else and few of the characters or their development make sense.

I feel like I should hate it but I love it, I feel like I shouldn’t want to see it again but I do. I feel like I shouldn’t recommend it but I am. It’s brilliantly awful or awfully brilliant.

Someone see it so I can know I’m not going crazy!

10. Alec

Alec International Rep

I dunno, Independence Day is certainly no masterpiece or anything, just a fun dumb movie you watch for Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum. The original ending was cheesy as hell already.

11. CaptainHook

CaptainHook NRL Player

I recently watched The Final Winter. A Rugby League film starring Matt Nable.

It is about the dying days of the Newtown Jets and the climate of Rugby League in the early 1980's.

It's fascinating to read about that era of the game. Even more incredible is the fact that the greatest game of all even still exists today in any real capacity. Looking at it objectively, it probably has no right to survive.

By the late 1970's and early 1980's, Rugby League had turned feral. Brawling, boozing footballers getting in trouble on the field and off of it had resulted in fans leaving the game in droves and general interest declining.

The film follows a week in the life of Mick "Grub" Henderson, a forward playing for the Jets who has to come to terms with the fact that the game he loves is changing. It is becoming more professional while he stresses over fronting the judiciary for a late elbow to the face of his brother playing for a rival team.

He's a fascinating character and Nable does a great job of showing Grub's frustration and anger at the coaching staff as well as the club and game administrators, who tacitly condoned his rough and tough play, yet now suddenly wanting him to tone it down.

I like Nable. I first saw his work on the show Arrow. He played Ra's al Ghul, a Batman villain, on one of the early seasons. I lost interest in the show around the end of season 4 so he appears definitely before then.

I read with interest that he now commentates games for Fox Sports. I haven't had Pay TV for years now so I'd be keen to see how he goes. Is he any good?

Maybe I should switch it back on. I confess sometimes I do miss the commentary of Andrew Voss. He absolutely loves the game and knows his stuff and it shines through when he calls the game. But I digress.

A lot of the scenes are comedy gold. The scene at the judiciary is a classic. Matthew Johns (who plays the coach) goes with the tried and true method of downplaying the elbow to the face.

"I didn't think there was much in it."

The judiciary panel are incredulous but Johns persists:

"I saw similar incidents on the weekend."

A panel member pipes up with: "Where were they? Lompoc prison?"

Gold. Lol.

It is heartening in hindsight to think that when confronted with the prospect of sinking into irrelevance and oblivion, Rugby League chose to clean up its act.

The judiciary panel started dishing out lengthy, sometimes more than a year long, suspensions to on-field thugs who just want to cause trouble. It pretty much ended their careers.

In just a few years, a cleaner, more free-flowing game was able to entice mega-star rock divas like Tina Turner to do promotion. I think 'Simply the Best' is the greatest marketing campaign in Australian sporting history.

Nothing comes close to it, imo. Spectacular ads like that had people flocking back to the game and also started to entice women to give the game a genuine shot.

We have never got back to the early 1990's in terms of popularity and public interest. It's a shame. If Super League never happened, and clubs like the Reds and Rams were allowed a decent chance to survive, I think we could've been the dominant sport and a true, national one.

Final thought: This film got me thinking - are there any other films about Rugby League? Or at least films that feature Rugby League in the plot?

For the life of me I can't think of one. Also, I'd settle for any decent documentaries regarding the game.

Anyone seen any? Keen to get your thoughts.

ningnangnong likes this.
  12. Tom

Tom State of Origin Rep

Had never heard of this but the full movie is on youtube in pretty good quality. Will give it a watch sometime this week.

13. No, he isn’t. He struggles to keep up with the play which results in large pauses in his commentary where he just doesn’t say anything.

He also has a knack of just saying the players names and not what they’re doing during the play.

I think he got a bit better over the course of the season but he is still has a lot of work to do.

14. There is a movie called Footy Legends about a guy that’s about to lose custody of his little sister entering a Rugby League Sevens competition to win the prize money in an attempt to turn his life around and keep the social workers off his back.

Little Fish and Broke are movies that also involve Rugby League in the plot which highlights just how far players can fall in life after footy. The character in Little Fish is played by Hugo Weaving.

15. Sproj

Sproj

Went to see The Green Book today. Was a good movie without being great. Excellent performances though from the two leads, they had a good script to work with and worked well together. Was way too long though.

16. I must be one of only dozens who saw Footy Legends in theatres. From memory, it was a decent flick that I found comparable to the Full Monty. In both films, it's more about this group that's all struggling with something, all setting it aside for this one moment. In Full Monty it was stripping, in Footy Legends it's a local competition. Everything in the movie plays out as you expect it to, but it never takes itself too seriously and I enjoyed all the Australian cultural references. Vossy and Matty Johns both pop up in this movie and they both get some good lines in.

I didn't catch The Final Winter in theatres, but I did order it on PPV as soon as it was available about a decade ago. Like you Hook, I enjoyed the movie and how it covered that era. Sometimes I find a lot of these sports movies as unnecessary and feel a proper documentary would do a better job of telling the story, but through the fictionalised events, they were able to capture something most docos would have skipped over. The code was changing and while it was probably for the better, the community engagement was never the same. These players were all people you got to speak to at the pub, or you'd see them working just like anybody else. What I took out of it is that Rugby League has never felt comfortable embracing the professionalism required to be a top line sport. There's always this rhetoric to return to the way things were, to make Rugby League great again. Bring out 78 Year Old Tina Turner, get rid of interchanges, get rid of the video referee, bring back in-goal referees and most of all let the boys be boys.

I feel sorry for Nable. They gave him the gig because of his roots and his relationship with Matty Johns and decided he was ready to call NRL matches. They didn't give him enough time to develop and they should have used him for the NSW Cup or as a Co-Commentator and work with Smith and Vossy. It would have been rough, but I couldn't see it being any worse than having ex-players commentate on games featuring their old clubs. Anyways, they threw Nable into the deep end and of course he struggled. He treated commentary like a role and instead of finding his own voice, he was trying to be Rabs. Instead of calling the action and keeping the fans informed on what was happening on the field, it was more about generating fake excitement by yelling players names. Matt Thompson on 9 is guilty of the same thing, he's just had years of experience honing his craft.

Comparatively, Brenton Speed improved through out the year. At first he struggled with the transition from A-League to the NRL, but as he gained experience and became more familiar with calling players, he became more confident in his call and deferred less and less to his colour commentators. I remember a Storm-Titans game where Corey Parker was cheerleading for Melbourne and Speed wasn't afraid to call him out on his bias.

ningnangnong likes this.
  17. Alec

Alec International Rep

Disney has bought out some cinemas to show nothing bit that shitty looking Captain Marvel movie on some days in March. Can't wait for all this superhero shit to end.

ningnangnong and Tom like this.
    I hope you are patient as you will be waiting a long time.

Whether you like them or not, the Marvel films are far from shit and its pretty easy to find non superhero movies in the months between releases.

Sproj likes this.