Movie Thread

Alec

International Rep
Ended up seeing Detective Pikachu. It was OK, a few good jokes, mostly from Ryan Reynolds. It was quite a nostalgia trip seeing some of the Pokemon in 3D, some were used in clever ways. The rest of the movie, the story, most of the acting etc. was pretty average though. Still had a pretty good time.

Alec

International Rep
Gonna go see John Wick 3 on the weekend, hopefully. Hearing great things about it, looks like the might outdo themselves in the action front yet again.

Alec

International Rep
Saw John Wick 3 tonight. The stories in these movies keep getting stupider (though I do like the whole secret society thing), but the action is just fucking top notch. I'd say the final action sequence here was the best out of all the movies so far, just fucking amazing. Even Halle Berry kicks ass in the earlier part of the movie. The cinematography and the soundtrack were great as well.

Last edited:

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
I've watched two trailers recently and I admit to thinking I have to see them both. One has a totally ridiculous premise, Yesterday and the other a plausible one, The Professor with Johnny Depp in the lead. I know trailers can often be the best of a movie but I reckon watching the trailers might see a few of you agreeing with me.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
So I went to see the new Godzilla movie and can I say, I don't think I've laughed so much in a movie ever. I mean it was sooooooooooooo dumb.

Now I know you don't go to these movies for a good story line or captivating performances but this was next level stoopid. The characters motivation constantly changes, I cannot remember any of their names and the lead constipated face guy has the answer to everything.

In one scene, pooping face man even seems to be in two places at once, it is hilarious. There is a video chat complete with slide show and camera angle changes. One character gets hit on the head by a falling concrete beam and keeps running like nothing happened.

The movie makes no sense at all and I guess in some ways that is what you watch the Japanese Godzilla movies for. The actual CGI monsters are fantastic though, that needs to be said.

However, in a movie where you care more about the villain CGI monster than any of the humans combined (except the Watanabe character), you've got a problem.

Absolute garbage and I might see it again just to laugh again.

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Drunk
So watched a couple of movies recently.

The first was ‘The House that Jack Built’ it’s basically a more fucked up criminal minds episode. Would not recommend.

The other was Rocket Man, pretty good didn’t shie away from his bad times and the kid playing him can sing. Just edges Bohemian Rapsody for mine

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
So managed to squeeze in two movies in the last two weeks:

1. Men in Black International
Stupid story, makes little sense and has been panned by critics, yet I really enjoyed it. I’m not really sure what the problem with it is for many. No one goes to see Men in Black expecting Citizen Kane. It captured the weirdness of the original and had two charismatic leads who carried it fairly well. The villains say about two words in the whole movie and are not developed at all but for a popcorn flick, well worth the ride at a cinema. There is something to be said for a switch your brain off and enjoy the stupidity movie.

2. Spider-Man: Far From Home
I LOVED this movie. I’m a huge Marvel fan and this serves to deal with the Endgame fallout and set up the next phase well. I’m gonna say it, Tom Holland IS Spider-Man, he is so talented for someone so young. It isn’t flawless but it is pretty and it is a total ride, fantastic movie. Gyllenhall is EXCELLENT in his role. There is one scene on a plane that is unexpected and soooooooo cool. The two post-credit scenes are total mindbends and I’m hooked to see what comes of them. Excellent movie!

Horseheadsup

NRL Player
Watched ARCTIC.
A man's survival after his plane goes down somewhere in the Arctic circle.
Flags down a rescue helicopter only to witness it lose control and perish in the storm not far from him.
The pilot is dead but he finds a remaining survivor, a young women with serious injuries who remains mostly unconscious throughout the film.
Engaging dispite almost no dialogue.

holdzy89

NRL Captain
It was a choice between Spiderman and Toy Story 4, kids chose Toy Story 4, so Spider Man next time.

Went into Toy Story a little worried I was just going to see a blatant cash grab, everyone and their slinky toy dog could see how well 3 wrapped up the series - thankfully, those worries were put to bed about half way through. This film is a love letter to parents who took their kids to the toy story movies, watched them grow up and move on with their own lives and then wonder what next?

The animation is simply stellar, during the rain storm scene at the start, I have never seen animation look that realistic, to the point I'm still not sure if they were incorporating real life into the animation. The music was beautiful as always, the themes were pretty heavy (Forky being trash, wanting to kill himself - Woody feeling useless after 'his kid' moves on) - but plenty of laughs, Key and Peele in particular steal the show, Keanu was good.

Stay for the first part of the credits, really good stuff. Highly recommended.

Another great film I watched this week is Burning, a South Korean movie. Not sure if too many here will have heard of it, it has Stephen Yeung from the Walking Dead. It's a slow burn character mystery, impeccably shot and very well acted. Have you seen or heard of this by any chance Sproj Sproj?

GCBRONCO

State of Origin Captain
Gold Coast
2. Spider-Man: Far From Home
I LOVED this movie. I’m a huge Marvel fan and this serves to deal with the Endgame fallout and set up the next phase well. I’m gonna say it, Tom Holland IS Spider-Man, he is so talented for someone so young. It isn’t flawless but it is pretty and it is a total ride, fantastic movie. Gyllenhall is EXCELLENT in his role. There is one scene on a plane that is unexpected and soooooooo cool. The two post-credit scenes are total mindbends and I’m hooked to see what comes of them. Excellent movie!
Agreed just saw it today and I really enjoyed it, definitely worth seeing.
- Merged

Saw a trailer for the next Charlie's Angels, this is one tv series that really doesn't need more movie cash ins.

Last edited:

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Saw Toy Story 4 last Thursday - thought it was really well done.

Kind of felt like the end of an era.

Also, didn't realise the voice of Forky is Buster Bluth!

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
Hey holdzy89 holdzy89 have you had a chance to see Under The Silver Lake? I've been meaning to watch it again, but it was one of my favourite movies of 2018 and has a very Mulholland Drive and Brick feel to it.

I thought I made a post about it when RLM got around to reviewing it, I guess not.

holdzy89

NRL Captain
Hey holdzy89 holdzy89 have you had a chance to see Under The Silver Lake? I've been meaning to watch it again, but it was one of my favourite movies of 2018 and has a very Mulholland Drive and Brick feel to it.

I thought I made a post about it when RLM got around to reviewing it, I guess not.
No I've heard about it though - if it has the feel of those two movies I'm in!

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
No I've heard about it though - if it has the feel of those two movies I'm in!
It's a divisive movie, so I'm keen to hear your impressions. It's also long and you may find your attention span wavering at points. Just bite the bullet and see it through to the end, I found the ending really rewarding.

holdzy89

NRL Captain
It's a divisive movie, so I'm keen to hear your impressions. It's also long and you may find your attention span wavering at points. Just bite the bullet and see it through to the end, I found the ending really rewarding.
It's ironic, but good movies when they are long often need to be seen twice imo. I will give it a go.

Did you see that South Korean film Burning that I was asking Sproj about by any chance, BP?

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
It's ironic, but good movies when they are long often need to be seen twice imo. I will give it a go.

Did you see that South Korean film Burning that I was asking Sproj about by any chance, BP?
No, it's on my radar though. At the moment I'm going through a Tarantino marathon, I just finished up Death Proof and gearing up to watch Inglorious Bastards for the first time since it hit theatres.

Once I'm through with that, I've got a pile of 2018 movies in my backlog I want to get through so I'll squeeze it in there.

An Elephant Sitting Still was another foreign language movie I wanted to see. I also have to get around to watching Huge Huge recommendation The Station Agent which I hadn't heard of before but has my interest.

holdzy89

NRL Captain
No, it's on my radar though. At the moment I'm going through a Tarantino marathon, I just finished up Death Proof and gearing up to watch Inglorious Bastards for the first time since it hit theatres.

Once I'm through with that, I've got a pile of 2018 movies in my backlog I want to get through so I'll squeeze it in there.

An Elephant Sitting Still was another foreign language movie I wanted to see. I also have to get around to watching Huge Huge recommendation The Station Agent which I hadn't heard of before but has my interest.
Keen for Once Upon A Time In Hollywood no doubt?

Highly recommend Burning - one of those movies where the camera work makes you lose track of time, and also gives an indelible impression of South Korea (and the NK border).

So many great films to watch, so little time.

Also enjoyed Spider Man: Far From Home - but the Mysterio reveal was just lazy. On the other hand, something about that train scene felt like Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heaven's Door.

Nothing mind blowing, but another good Spider Man film, and the end credits scenes were awesome!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter