Movie Thread

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
IT 2. Could have been so much better, but the payoff for every genuinely creepy moment was a crappy CGI chase - over and over again. Lazy. It had it's moments, some of the performances were good but overall it looks like the film makers took the easy, cheap option.

There is a little bit more going on symbolically in the film for anyone that's into that sort of thing. The three dead lights for example, the concept of three lights as a symbol of death goes back a ways in art and what not. And a few back and forths between IT and Twin Peaks are of interest too.

Worth a watch, don't expect too much.
You're right about the ending and they did take the cheap way out but overall as a sequel I thought it was quite good. I didn't go in expecting much tbh but IT surprised on the upside.
It was a bit long though.

On a side note I've never watched Twin Peaks so I didn't pick up that reference but Stephen King did like reference his other books from time to time.
In the Tommy Knockers he referenced IT which is one example that springs to mind.

Last edited:

holdzy89

NRL Captain
You're right about the ending and they did take the cheap way out but overall as a sequel I thought it was quite good. I didn't go in expecting much tbh but IT surprised on the upside.
It was a bit long though.

On a side note I've never watched Twin Peaks so I didn't pick up that reference but Stephen King did like reference his other books from time to time.
In the Tommy Knockers he referenced IT which is one example that springs to mind.
I watched the first one last night and I thought it was much better, when the inevitable super cut comes out it will be interesting - and long.

My main issue with the second one was I thought it blew a lot of the build up of tension and eeriness with cheap and not scary CGI chases. A lot of the atmosphere of the first was gone but overall it was good, worth seeing for sure.

The red balloons make an appearance in the new season of Twin Peaks, as well as the prominence of the number seven, similarities between Derry and Twin Peaks, the town itself.
The sort of big bad in Twin Peaks is also comparable to Pennywise in a few ways.

The thing that makes IT scary to me (jump scares don't get me) is the psychological elements, namely the red balloons. It's a psychological concept to do with conditioning trauma responses, for the end purpose of feeding on the resulting fear, which is also a concept in Twin Peaks, garmonbozia, which the evil elements in the show consume. So some interesting cross over themes and perhaps intentional nods. Highly recommend Twin Peaks.

soup

State of Origin Rep
I’m totally not reading any comments on ‘IT’. Doing my best to ignore them until I see for myself this Friday. I absolutely loved the book when I was a kid and I thought the first chapter was realised reasonably well. I’m a bit concerned after unwittingly reading the first sentence or two of holdzy89 holdzy89 and Dexter Dexter ’s reviews, but I’ll reflect once I’ve seen it and add my own thoughts.

If it feels cheap and lazily done, I’ll be pissed off majorly. It was the highest grossing horror film of all time IIRC and really has no excuse to **** it up when it’s made so much money on the first chapter.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter