Movie Thread

Alec

International Rep
lol like **** it was. It was the same episode every week. Marie can cook but Debra can't. Robert is jealous the mum like ray better. ray wants sex but debra doesn't. Frank and marie hate each other.

There I just summed up the entire show.
And I loved every episode of it. Can still watch it again hahaha.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
I still haven't seen The Last Jedi, only the Plinkett review, and I get the feeling I'd prefer the latter.

From the sounds of it, the third is going to retcon a lot of what happened in the previous movie. Was it really that bad? I heard they were unfaithful to a lot of pre-established characters namely Luke.

Where did everyone end up on the Last Jedi? Did it hold up better after previous viewings? Or does it rank alongside the Christmas Special?

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
I still haven't seen The Last Jedi, only the Plinkett review, and I get the feeling I'd prefer the latter.

From the sounds of it, the third is going to retcon a lot of what happened in the previous movie. Was it really that bad? I heard they were unfaithful to a lot of pre-established characters namely Luke.

Where did everyone end up on the Last Jedi? Did it hold up better after previous viewings? Or does it rank alongside the Christmas Special?

It is a very divisive movie. Most hated it but it was watchable. That said, the Canto Bight scene is absolute trash and a waste of time.

It speeds too much of story along in parts and misses huge chunks of important things at the same time.

The director backed the movie into a literal corner. It would have been a good number 7 in my opinion but that said, the current number 7, while still with flaws, is heaps better.

It just felt it was a mess, didn’t know what it wanted to be and every time something huge and potentially unexpected is about to happen, it takes the safe option.

Luke is butchered and Snoke is a total waste of time. The delete scenes actually shouldn’t have been deleted, they make a lot more sense than the movie in many ways.

Mark Hamill (not the mess that is Luke), Leia, Poe and Kylo Ren are great, I really liked Kylo Ren in this movie.

The escape plan and tension is dumb, just tell them what you are doing, this part of the movie makes no sense, though it leads to an epic ship destroying scene, one of the best ever!

All the other characters suck and you just don’t care about any of them, especially Rey and Finn, would have been great if they followed through on an ending for this character in particular.
- Merged

In many ways, I feel Mylo Aden is the Homelander or Star Wars.

Last edited:

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
lol like **** it was. It was the same episode every week. Marie can cook but Debra can't. Robert is jealous the mum like ray better. ray wants sex but debra doesn't. Frank and marie hate each other.

There I just summed up the entire show.
I enjoy the show, but I also think you nailed the predictability.

Same could be said for Seinfeld though.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
I enjoy the show, but I also think you nailed the predictability.

I watched it too, loved Frank. It was watching the reruns a few years later I realised how 1 dimensional it was and how easy I and everyone was to dupe. Still good for a laugh. Plus I realised just how few lines the kids had, they were little more than props.

Alec

International Rep
I watched it too, loved Frank. It was watching the reruns a few years later I realised how 1 dimensional it was and how easy I and everyone was to dupe. Still good for a laugh. Plus I realised just how few lines the kids had, they were little more than props.
I think you'll find most sitcoms have pretty 1 dimensional characters. Their success depends on how good their quirks are. It's why Seinfeld is such a classic. Raymond isn't in the same class, but the characters are all entertaining.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
Kinda sad watching it now though, knowing that Frank & Marie are both gone in real life, they were the life blood of that show. In fact I'd say they're both more important characters than Ray himself, so is Robert. Ray was probably the 4th most important character on the show in terms of comedic & entertainment value.

Speaking of which, even one of the kids you're referring to passed away a few years ago, took his own life.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Kinda sad watching it now though, knowing that Frank & Marie are both gone in real life, they were the life blood of that show. In fact I'd say they're both more important characters than Ray himself, so is Robert. Ray was probably the 4th most important character on the show in terms of comedic & entertainment value.

Speaking of which, even one of the kids you're referring to passed away a few years ago, took his own life.
Yeah, Sawyer Sweeten. All 3 were siblings in real life too.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
I think you'll find most sitcoms have pretty 1 dimensional characters. Their success depends on how good their quirks are. It's why Seinfeld is such a classic. Raymond isn't in the same class, but the characters are all entertaining.
I honestly don't know what you guys are talking about, and I have been pondering it. Seinfeld may have had the odd re-occuring joke here or there but the ones I mentioned were in pretty much every single episode of ELR. Seinfeld is probably the best sitcom there has ever been. Change my mind.

Alec

International Rep
I honestly don't know what you guys are talking about, and I have been pondering it. Seinfeld may have had the odd re-occuring joke here or there but the ones I mentioned were in pretty much every single episode of ELR. Seinfeld is probably the best sitcom there has ever been. Change my mind.
Seinfeld is definitely the best, no arguments here.

holdzy89

NRL Captain
Anyone seeing Metallica S & M 2 at the cinema?

Would you prefer a vocal audience or quiet like a regular movie?

morethenjack

NYC Player
Brisbane
Anyone seeing Metallica S & M 2 at the cinema?

Would you prefer a vocal audience or quiet like a regular movie?
I’m going to see it at Chermside tomorrow night. I would usually go with a quiet cinema but after watching origin in a cinema setting a few years ago that was mostly quiet, it was just kind of strange. I assume a concert would be similar. I was pretty close to biting the bullet and planning a trip to the US revolving around seeing it live.

holdzy89

NRL Captain
I’m going to see it at Chermside tomorrow night. I would usually go with a quiet cinema but after watching origin in a cinema setting a few years ago that was mostly quiet, it was just kind of strange. I assume a concert would be similar. I was pretty close to biting the bullet and planning a trip to the US revolving around seeing it live.
Well let me put it this way - would you be annoyed if people were singing along?

I just think it would be a lot more fun with everyone going 'Hey! Hey! Hey!" along with James. It would have been incredible to see live for sure, but damn expensive. I don't think they have too much touring left in them.

I'll probably see it Friday. I'm not intimidated by crowds, so I might ask everyone there if they feel like singing along - hopefully everyone is feeling the same thing and will go along. Will make it twice as fun!

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation
An argument can also be made for Frasier. I find it very hard to distinguish the best of those 2. I am of the opinion that the classic Frasier episodes are more hilarious than the classic Seinfeld episodes, but that the volume of excellent Seinfeld episodes is greater than the volume of excellent Frasier episodes.

I think my favourite Frasier episode is the one where Niles and Martin go to the theatre and pretend to be gay.
My favourite Seinfeld episode is probably the one where Seinfeld was upgraded to first class and Elaine was stuck in coach, or the competition.

Other all time sitcoms are:
Family Ties
The Cosby Show (pre-drug-raping Bill Cosby was acknowledged)

Everybody Loves Raymond is somewhere a thousand leagues behind these guys. Probably put alongside Modern Family (forumla: Dumb dad, smart hot mum, funny gay guys, old ugly man with young hot 2nd wife, dumb kid, smart kid, hot kid)

Last edited:

holdzy89

NRL Captain
An argument can also be made for Frasier. I find it very hard to distinguish the best of those 2. I am of the opinion that the classic Frasier episodes are more hilarious than the classic Seinfeld episodes, but that the volume of excellent Seinfeld episodes is greater than the volume of excellent Frasier episodes.

I think my favourite Frasier episode is the one where Niles and Martin go to the theatre and pretend to be gay.
My favourite Seinfeld episode is probably the one where Seinfeld was upgraded to first class and Elaine was stuck in coach, or the competition.

Other all time sitcoms are:
Family Ties
The Cosby Show (pre-drug-raping Bill Cosby was acknowledged)

Everybody Loves Raymond is somewhere a thousand leagues behind these guys. Probably put alongside Modern Family (forumla: Dumb dad, smart hot mum, funny gay guys, old ugly man with young hot 2nd wife, dumb kid, smart kid, hot kid)
It was Frasier and Martin. Martin pretended to be gay.

I think there's a TV show thread. Frasier, Seinfeld, Newsradio, The Simpsons - the 90's were awesome.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter