Movie Thread

Alec

International Rep
Watched "The Great Hack" last night. Basically a documentary on Cambridge Analytica and their role in the facebook hack/their role in some of the momentous elections over the past 2-3 years. Also details how they/companies like them already know everything about you and accurately predict your behavior.

I already knew a decent amount about this due to study/working in IT, but to see it all in realtime, and the more concerning thing, to have it all happen before anyone even knew about it - that's the a boiling frog scenario, but we're all the frog.
It made me uncomfortable how Facebook actively keeps track of you and posts ads "tailored" to you. I dunno if it's a myth or not, but I'm sure it happened to me too - ads popping up about things you talked about with another person. I've actually disabled the microphone permission on facebook and a few other apps afterwards.

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
Over the past two days, Pinterest has been notifying me of recommendations for TMNT Birthday Party pins. This is after discussing an edible print of BumbleBee that we are organising for our son’s birthday cake this weekend at a party shop in town. Not once have I spoke about it, written about it, searched for it on my phone or computer. Just discussions with my partner in our lounge room. Fucking creepy and I’m really pissed off TBH. I have Siri switched off but I’ll check Pinterest’s mic permissions now.

Last edited:

Renegade

NRL Captain
It made me uncomfortable how Facebook actively keeps track of you and posts ads "tailored" to you. I dunno if it's a myth or not, but I'm sure it happened to me too - ads popping up about things you talked about with another person. I've actually disabled the microphone permission on facebook and a few other apps afterwards.
Yeah they reference this in the movie.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Watched a movie on Netflix called Eli.

I heard about it online, people hyping it up as one of the scariest movies you will ever see and that people that watched it were so scared they started seeing demons out of the corner of their eyes.

I watched it. It's boring. It's shit, the acting is shit and the CGI is shit.

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba

I heard about it online, people hyping it up as one of the scariest movies you will ever see and that people that watched it were so scared they started seeing demons out of the corner of their eyes.

Watched half of it and gave it up.

holdzy89

NRL Captain
I want to see The Lighthouse, but it probably won't play anywhere near me.

Saw The Shining in 4k at the cinema, incredible!

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep

They have a "Scariest movie Evaaaa" every week apparently.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
They base it on the fact that people get so scared they turn it off halfway through. But most of the time people are turning it off because it is shit.
This one is extra shit.

The ending.. I was shaking my head. It was awful. The jump scares were boring and predictable and the story was just shit.

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
Now I'm trying to think of the last movie that genuinely gave me the chills. The Conjuring maybe...I don't watch many horror movies tbf. Still haven't watched IT.

Cult3

State of Origin Captain
Now I'm trying to think of the last movie that genuinely gave me the chills. The Conjuring maybe...I don't watch many horror movies tbf. Still haven't watched IT.
Midsommar was eerie and made me wonder what was happening next, but didn't end up too scary. I can't even think of any more good horror movies that have come out recently. 'Us' was pretty good and I'm enjoying what Jordan Peele is doing with his horror universe.

Not a movie but the latest season of American Horror Story isn't terrible. It's a throwback to the old 80's slasher movies. They haven't had a good season since season 4 (Season 2 if you want to be harsh) but I'm enjoying this season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter