Movie Thread

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
The CGI took me out of it. There were parts with Pesci that looked like a shitty video game. Directing wise it's excellent, the acting is generally good. Interesting story.

On a different note, if those Star Wars spoilers are true...

Easy Sproj
I’m restraining...barely. Hehe

I went to see a Chinese movie, well planned to but it wasn’t showing yet, so saw the new Jumanji instead. It was...average, like the absolute definition of the word.

I yawned and laughed once or twice. Aquafina? Nailed her Danny De Vito though, hilariously. She Tande our like a sore thumb in a movie the other actors were clearly treating as a pay cheque.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Saw two movies this weekend:

1. Knives Out - This movie was extremely good fun. It is a somewhat run of the mill Detective story with some fun and unexpected twists and turns. It is certainly too long but it is only really in the middle where it lags a bit. There are some amazing performances in this movie, almost everyone is great. Daniel Craig and his accent in this film are phenomenal. He plays an amazingly quirky and interesting character in it. It is also fun to see Captain America, Zodd and James Bond interact in completely unsuperhero ways. I'd definitely recommend seeing this but doesn't have to be at the cinema.

2. Skyfire - This is billed as China's first big budget disaster movie...and it is an absolute disaster. I don't know if this is brilliantly dumb or dumbly brilliant but goodness me, this is a must see at the cinema if you get a chance. It is STUPID, it is HILARIOUS and it has some of the most mind-numbingly AWFUL action scenes ever put on film. You know what, I rally liked it because it was so bad and I laughed constantly throughout the movie as people get killed off in increasingly unlikely and ridiculous ways. A shout out to the guy who gets pole-axed literally, the guy on the jetski, wharf and those electrocuted. Meanwhile, one of the main characters somehow survives absolutely everything while being awful to everyone and for some reason, we are supposed to root for this guy. This movie takes the disaster genre, realises no one goes for the story or logic and just goes full destroy everything mode. Do yourself a favour, watch this at the cinema and prepare to laugh a lot and in lots of tears, walking away still laughing and feeling guilty for it.

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Drunk
6 Underground, crazy stupid movie but fun.

Like a mix of Fast and Furious with Transformers level explosions

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
6 Underground, crazy stupid movie but fun.

Like a mix of Fast and Furious with Transformers level explosions
Also a Transformers type soundtrack. Which isn’t surprising considering it’s a Michael Bay movie.

Even has the famous overused super slow mo he loves so much.

Alec

International Rep
Is that like old school fast and furious or modern day nothing like what fast and furious was?
I've only watched these movies until 6, but I enjoyed them all, even if they become heist movies after Tokyo Drift. I feel like the earlier ones are all different anyway

1. Fun classic, probably my fav with 5.
2. Pretty much Miami Vice.
3. High school drama racing, probably the only real racing one?

Alec

International Rep
Oh shit theres a new Shaun the Sheep movie.
The 1st was great, as good as Wallace and Gromit. Way better than Chicken Run shit.

holdzy89

NRL Captain
Two psychological, mind bending thrillers/mysteries I watched recently for the first time.

Mr. Nobody - eh. Interesting ideas, but not executed effectively imo. Can't stand Jared Leto, but I acknowledge he is talented when he wants to be.

Jacob's Ladder - the original. Really good, well made, superbly acted. I love mind **** movies.

I have an idea for a short film - I think I will make it this year.

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
Two psychological, mind bending thrillers/mysteries I watched recently for the first time.

Mr. Nobody - eh. Interesting ideas, but not executed effectively imo. Can't stand Jared Leto, but I acknowledge he is talented when he wants to be.

Jacob's Ladder - the original. Really good, well made, superbly acted. I love mind **** movies.

I have an idea for a short film - I think I will make it this year.
Both good movies. I really enjoyed Mr Nobody. Jacobs Ladder was my introduction to what quality films and stories look like, back in the ‘90’s.

holdzy89

NRL Captain
Both good movies. I really enjoyed Mr Nobody. Jacobs Ladder was my introduction to what quality films and stories look like, back in the ‘90’s.
I can't believe the guy who made Jacob's Ladder made that piece of shit Lolita remake.

On a related note, RIP Sue Lyon - painfully ironic life after the original Lolita, which is a misunderstood masterpiece with heartbreaking performances.

Ironbroncos

QCup Player
NZ
Watched Ip Man 4 before xmas, finale didnt feel like this was the last, but still some good fight scenes, even 'Bruce Lee' makes an appearance & gets to kick butt too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter