Movie Thread

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
1917 - I think I have just seen one of the best movies of all time. This was absolutely brilliant, heart-wrenching, adrenaline pumping, suspenseful and gripping. What a movie!!

The way the movie is shot is perfect, you feel like you are right there with these guys and it is scarier than any horror movie. There are some fantastic cameos from some absolute top-tier actors but the two guys who are the central characters are absolutely phenomenal. Do yourself a favour, see this at a cinema as soon as you can, it is one of the best movies of all time and I'd put it top three-five war movies ever, it is that good.

BroncosAlways

NRL Player
Home
Big shame that Collider Live has been cancelled on YouTube. Long time running podcast that's always been an indulgence of mine, as a huge movie nerd it's a shame to lose one of the few better YouTube shows out there. Bit controversial in how it's all unfolded as well, but what's done is done.

Thankful I still have my favourite company in Fandoms Screen Junkies daily though and their best segment Movie Fights to look forward to.
Anyone who has spare time and a nerdy love of all things movies give them a look!

Last edited:

holdzy89

NRL Captain
1917 - I think I have just seen one of the best movies of all time. This was absolutely brilliant, heart-wrenching, adrenaline pumping, suspenseful and gripping. What a movie!!

The way the movie is shot is perfect, you feel like you are right there with these guys and it is scarier than any horror movie. There are some fantastic cameos from some absolute top-tier actors but the two guys who are the central characters are absolutely phenomenal. Do yourself a favour, see this at a cinema as soon as you can, it is one of the best movies of all time and I'd put it top three-five war movies ever, it is that good.
Can't wait to see this!

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Can't wait to see this!
It's Saving Private Ryan meets All Quiet on The Western Front meets Dunkirk meets Downton Abbey season 2 (believe it or not).

On a side point, John Boyega has openly bagged the sequel trilogy apparently.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
There is going to be a second A Quiet Place.

Not sure what to think of that. The first one was brilliant and I guess they did set it up for a potential sequel. I just hope they don't ruin it trying to cash in as much as possible.

holdzy89

NRL Captain
It's Saving Private Ryan meets All Quiet on The Western Front meets Dunkirk meets Downton Abbey season 2 (believe it or not).

On a side point, John Boyega has openly bagged the sequel trilogy apparently.
Well that is...eclectic lol Never seen Downtown Abbey. I hope I can catch it while it's still at the cinema.

Boyega probably has cause to feel kind of hard done by. But at the same time he seems like kind of a douche. What do you make of it?

I watched A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood last night. I know a little bit about Mr. Rogers, not a lot. Tom Hanks was obviously trading off his modern Jimmy Stewart image, and at times moments bordered on saccharine, but ultimately for me it worked and was very inspiring. I wanted to do better as a person after watching it.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Well that is...eclectic lol Never seen Downtown Abbey. I hope I can catch it while it's still at the cinema.

Boyega probably has cause to feel kind of hard done by. But at the same time he seems like kind of a douche. What do you make of it?

I watched A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood last night. I know a little bit about Mr. Rogers, not a lot. Tom Hanks was obviously trading off his modern Jimmy Stewart image, and at times moments bordered on saccharine, but ultimately for me it worked and was very inspiring. I wanted to do better as a person after watching it.
I'm looking forward to seeing A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood.

As for Boyega, yeah he seems like a douche but he is a likeable douche. I think he was hard done by in the series, his character was one of the more interesting wasted potentials of the trilogy unfortunately and that's saying something because most characters were way too underdeveloped. A force sensitive stormtrooper could have been an amazing storyline.

Huge

State of Origin Captain
Ipswich
I can't believe the guy who made Jacob's Ladder made that piece of shit Lolita remake.

On a related note, RIP Sue Lyon - painfully ironic life after the original Lolita, which is a misunderstood masterpiece with heartbreaking performances.
Mmm, she was a good sort. What many wouldn't know was she was an intellectual as well. She wrote books on chemistry and classical composers!!

broncos4life

International Rep
Brisbane

I’m looking forward to this now. Nothing better than I movie that makes you want to do better.

GCBRONCO

International Rep
Gold Coast

I'll second this, an outstanding movie and a very high standard to start 2020.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
I'll second this, an outstanding movie and a very high standard to start 2020.
Well...time to discuss it:

Man, when that rat dropped down on to the trip wire, I was like NOOOOOOO, we're...I mean THEY'RE in trouble here. When that plane then came over the hill, far out that was intense. The first guy dying was really emotional, I shed a few tears, got to say, that was such a well acted scene.

Then, seeing the soldiers just peeing where such an emotional scene just played out showed how detached war makes people. That was probably the best scene in a movie full of great scenes, so much going on and then wipe the blood off and just move on. War has to mess soldiers up who return.

I've also got to say, that chase scene in the town was so intense and then swimming over so many bodies and the breakdown on the river bank before finding the platoon or whatever he was looking for and then taking time for it to sink in was emotional. But the second guy meeting the first guy's brother, man I was bawling. And even before that, when he tells Eggs Benedict the message and he just tells him to get lost, it was such a gut punch that everything we all just went through is done and after all the lack of help he received from soldiers understandably preoccupied with being about to die, just such deep meaning.

It really was far more a character driven movie than action and the way it was shot matched it perfectly. It sticks with you doesn't it, like you are thinking about it all for days afterward.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff

I saw A Beautiful Day inThe Neighbourhood. I’m so confused. I didn’t love it that’s for sure but I didn’t hate it either. Did I like it? I don’t know. It was boring but Hanks was excellent as always. The show style transitions and scenery took me a while to get used to.

Why did he avoid the serious questions though? Was the crashing piano sound symbolic?
- Merged

I saw A Beautiful Day inThe Neighbourhood. I’m so confused. I didn’t love it that’s for sure but I didn’t hate it either. Did I like it? I don’t know. It was boring but Hanks was excellent as always. The show style transitions and scenery took me a while to get used to.

Why did he avoid the serious questions though? Was the crashing piano sound symbolic?

Last edited:

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
The new Terminator movie, that CGI is terrible for a movie made in 2019 and the way it was filmed, it seems as though it's not meant for just watching it on a standard screen.

holdzy89

NRL Captain

I enjoyed it.

Ultimately it's about not being cynical.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
I enjoyed it.

Ultimately it's about not being cynical.
Yep it had a nice message, no problem at all with liking it.

I saw another movie this week:

The Farewell - This is quite arty in a way. Living where I live, I found it fascinating and it is a very common situation surprisingly. Akwafina? Was really good in it but to be honest, grandma stole the show. There are some beautiful moments in the movie, like the groom breaking down at the wedding, the father breaking down at the wedding, any scene between the two sons and so many really interesting rough cuts between moments. It is a deep movie and I liked it but I do wonder how others would view it without such an affiliation with the culture that I have. I liked it a lot but I really don’t think it will be for everyone.

Alec

International Rep
Watched 1917, it was pretty damn good, though short of amazing IMO. Some of the early tense scenes reminded me of watching Aliens for the first time, that scene from relatively early on when the marines are all searching that outpost that sent the distress signal.
The main character, Schofield, did a really good job too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hadeswolf

Twitter