Movie Thread

Jason Simmons

NRL Player
Watched 1917, it was pretty damn good, though short of amazing IMO. Some of the early tense scenes reminded me of watching Aliens for the first time, that scene from relatively early on when the marines are all searching that outpost that sent the distress signal.
The main character, Schofield, did a really good job too.
The movie was very well made and looked amazing. It’s just a shame they didn’t put the same effort into the plot, that they clearly did everything else.

Put those orders into air mail via one of the those biplanes that routinely flew over or put Scofield into a car / truck and the entire film would have been over in 60 minutes or so and could have been a real ‘one shot’ because the whole ‘journey’ to get the orders to the Colonel, would have taken less time than the runtime of this film... Or hell, one of these that were routinely included in recon aircraft flights from 1915 onwards...

89F53A7C-A8E4-4B55-967D-B41CA417E131.jpeg

Last edited:

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
The movie was very well made and looked amazing. It’s just a shame they didn’t put the same effort into the plot, that they clearly did everything else.

Put those orders into air mail via one of the those biplanes that routinely flew over or put Scofield into a car / truck and the entire film would have been over in 60 minutes or so and could have been a real ‘one shot’ because the whole ‘journey’ to get the orders to the Colonel, would have taken less time than the runtime of this film... Or hell, one of these that were routinely included in recon aircraft flights from 1915 onwards...

View attachment 7004
I'm assuming you missed the news that this was pretty much based on the director's own grandfather's first hand story.

Jason Simmons

NRL Player
I'm assuming you missed the news that this was pretty much based on the director's own grandfather's first hand story.
No it wasn’t. It was dedicated to Lance Corporal Mendes. ‘Who had all the stories.’

It was an homagé to Director Mendes’ grandfather who served in the Great War, it wasn’t based on one of his stories though. Because if it was, they would have just sent a message to battalion headquarters through one of the many other ways they had to do so, rather than the ludicrous foot-based journey, depicted in the film.

Last edited:

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
No it wasn’t. It was dedicated to Lance Corporal Mendes. ‘Who had all the stories.’

It was an homagé to Director Mendes’ grandfather who served in the Great War, it wasn’t based on one of his stories though. Because if it was, they would have just sent a message to battalion headquarters through one of the many other ways they had to do so, rather than the ludicrous foot-based journey, depicted in the film.
Sam Mendes has said it is based on a story that his grandfather told him.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff

Except that isn't completely true. Yes it is a conglomeration of stories and a homage BUT this particular mission is one his grandfather wrote that he had to do. The difference was he did it alone, not with a friend.

Additionally, one of the other criticisms against the movie is that the Germans couldn't shoot straight, they were Stormtroopering it up BUT again, according to his grandfather's story, he believes this was not uncommon for Germans to shoot at and miss British soldiers running around in circles on their own either from admiration or suspecting these soldiers had gone mad.

And regardless, it wasn't like the Brits didn't make some stupid decisions in war time (think Gallipoli). They could have feared those plane dropped messages went to the wrong side etc. Higher ups become very paranoid in war time.

Also, tell me one movie that doesn't have plot conveniences or they could have done it better way silences. I feel like these days, people just like to negatively criticise everything.

Even in this movie, I felt that British group in the trucks conveniently rocking up and then not taking him 6 miles around was a far bigger plot convenience than anything else so that he ends up having to go through the town.

I loved this movie, it wasn't a story that hasn't been told before, think Gallipoli or even Saving Private Ryan but it was told in a different way and told brilliantly. This was a masterpiece in cinematic movie craft with some great performances and a score that was very well done without needing gratuitous amounts of CGI / gore to create a compelling story that was excellently told.

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Drunk
So got a round to seeing Joker. I knew it wasn’t going to be a normal superhero/villain movie but wow it just dragged on.
The last 30 minutes was good though.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Just finished watching 1917.

I'm not sure this movie deserves the amount of praise it is getting. It's a great movie, I loved the way it was filmed and I liked the plot. However, there are a lot of people saying it's either the best war movie ever made or it's up there (top 5) as one of the best.

I don't think so.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Just finished watching 1917.

I'm not sure this movie deserves the amount of praise it is getting. It's a great movie, I loved the way it was filmed and I liked the plot. However, there are a lot of people saying it's either the best war movie ever made or it's up there (top 5) as one of the best.

I don't think so.
I don't think you think many things popularly liked are good though, to be fair.

Alec

International Rep
I can see it being in the top 5 war movies possibly, though I'd have to think about the other 4, and I can't be bothered lol.

Fozz

International Rep
Staff
I can see it being in the top 5 war movies possibly, though I'd have to think about the other 4, and I can't be bothered lol.
Saving Private Ryan, Where Eagles Dare, Bridge over River Kwai, Platoon, Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, Hurt Locker, American Sniper, Dam Busters, The Great Escape?

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
The Dirty Dozen, Inglorious Bastards, Platoon, Das Boot, Mash, From Here To Eternity, Patton, Dunkirk etc.

And the GOAT Starship Troopers.

I don't think there's anything worthwhile in going to watch a movie and trying to compare it to the classics from the get go. It's better to just let the work speak for itself and see how it holds up in subsequent viewings.

Also, I think a screener is always going to be at a disadvantage in terms of experience but that's another topic of discussion altogether.

Tom

State of Origin Captain
Schindler's list.
- Merged

The battle of Britain
- Merged

If Inglorious Basterds qualifies so does Indiana Jones.

Last edited:

Alec

International Rep
Yeah, there are a lot of great "war-themed" movies. The Pianist, Grave of the Fireflies, The Deer Hunter, Black Hawk Down would be some others too. Maybe you can even kind of count Forest Gump, haha.

To be honest, it would be too hard to come up with a top 5. SPR and Schindler's List would probably be my only 2 definites.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I don't think you think many things popularly liked are good though, to be fair.
I don't take any notice to the popularity of a movie. The Twilight movies were popularly liked. The High School Musical movies were. A lot of people like absolute garbage. But I literally just said it's a great movie.

Also, I think a screener is always going to be at a disadvantage in terms of experience but that's another topic of discussion altogether.
I don't think it really matters. It might look and sound better in the cinema but that doesn't really make a difference.

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
Pretty much the only thing cinema has over screener is the movie is better quality and there will be better sound but apart from that there isn't any difference.
I don't think watching a movie at home invalidates your perspective but watching a low quality release is going to taint it. I would also argue that you're more likely to engage with a movie when you're in the theatre as there are typically far less distractions and you've made the commitment, so I wouldn't say those are the only things.

I do find that answer kind of funny though. Well, aside from sound and vision, you know two of the most important qualities of a movie, there isn't much of a difference. Especially for a war epic.

Jason Simmons

NRL Player
Sam Mendes has said it is based on a story that his grandfather told him.
‘There was one particular story he told us about carrying a message across no man’s land alone at dusk. I couldn’t let go of that one image. I thought: What if we develop that into a single journey of more epic proportions?’

That is what Sam Mendes said to the BBC. It is not a true story it is a concoction of their own devising, based on the stories that his grandfather told him, with bits from here and bits from there...

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
I don't think watching a movie at home invalidates your perspective but watching a low quality release is going to taint it. I would also argue that you're more likely to engage with a movie when you're in the theatre as there are typically far less distractions and you've made the commitment, so I wouldn't say those are the only things.

I do find that answer kind of funny though. Well, aside from sound and vision, you know two of the most important qualities of a movie, there isn't much of a difference. Especially for a war epic.
Yeah I feel this.

I watched the 1917 screener the other day after the reviews, my first reaction was that it was great, but I wished I had seen it at the cinema. Seems like the sort of movie that would've been unreal in person.

Dunkirk was the last war movie I saw in cinema, no regrets with that, it was a visual & auditory masterpiece.

Harry Sack

State of Origin Captain
Yeah I feel this.

I watched the 1917 screener the other day after the reviews, my first reaction was that it was great, but I wished I had seen it at the cinema. Seems like the sort of movie that would've been unreal in person.

Dunkirk was the last war movie I saw in cinema, no regrets with that, it was a visual & auditory masterpiece.
Was in the process of typing something very similar. Was even going to use Dunkirk as my example. Screeners are great but some movies just really need to be seen in a cinema IMO.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
1. Saving Private Ryan (first 'real' war movie that did not sugarcoat how horrid it would be)
2. Schlinder’s List (This movie is just so compelling, one of the greatest films ever)
3. Apocalypse Now (Probably the first movie to really highlight the mental and emotional toll of war in detail)
4. Life Is Beautiful (Such a unique take on the horrors of war, brilliantly emotional in dealing with such a horrible topic)
5. 1917 (This movie is the best ever at showing what it would be like to just keep on going, moments come and go and you just keep on going until you are dead or it is over, I've also seen it three times now and it is still great every time)

This is in no particular order but I’ve chosen them because they have different stories and were all ground breaking in their own right.

Others of notable mention: Dunkirk, All Quiet on The Western Front, The Great Escape, The Hurt Locker, Blackhawk Down, American Sniper, Where Eagles Dare, Gallipoli, Mad Max (sort of I suppose), Full Metal Jacket, Hotel Rwanda, Argo, The Sum of All Fears, Battle of Britain, Lawrence of Arabia, The Bridge Over The River Kwai, The Killing Fields, Indiana Jones (I guess), Dunkirk and many others.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
1. Saving Private Ryan (first 'real' war movie that did not sugarcoat how horrid it would be)
2. Schlinder’s List (This movie is just so compelling, one of the greatest films ever)
3. Apocalypse Now (Probably the first movie to really highlight the mental and emotional toll of war in detail)
4. Life Is Beautiful (Such a unique take on the horrors of war, brilliantly emotional in dealing with such a horrible topic)
5. 1917 (This movie is the best ever at showing what it would be like to just keep on going, moments come and go and you just keep on going until you are dead or it is over, I've also seen it three times now and it is still great every time)

This is in no particular order but I’ve chosen them because they have different stories and were all ground breaking in their own right.

Others of notable mention: Dunkirk, All Quiet on The Western Front, The Great Escape, The Hurt Locker, Blackhawk Down, American Sniper, Where Eagles Dare, Gallipoli, Mad Max (sort of I suppose), Full Metal Jacket, Hotel Rwanda, Argo, The Sum of All Fears, Battle of Britain, Lawrence of Arabia, The Bridge Over The River Kwai, The Killing Fields, Indiana Jones (I guess), Dunkirk and many others.
Enemy at the Gates, Inglorious Basterds, Fury, Lone Survivor, Hacksaw Ridge, Platoon, The Deer Hunter.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.