Movie Thread

Tom

State of Origin Captain
I guess movies like Braveheart would qualify then. Great movie, although laughably innacurate for what is passed off as a true story.

Last edited:

holdzy89

NRL Captain
Paths of Glory?

Top five easily, along with Full Metal Jacket.

1917 is a fine film. Especially good as a war film but not top five imo. Top ten perhaps. Missing an element that elevates it above very good into greatness. Some of the music choices were odd to me, some were excellent. Acting was good without being great. Main guy looked like Ders from Workaholics a bit haha

I watched the new Wizard of Oz 4K transfer. Never made it the whole way through before in my life. It was a potent mix of weird, moving and dumb. The sets still look incredible.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Can we include Dr. Strangelove in war movies? That was one weird and compelling movie that I feel was made well ahead of its time in many ways. Plus Peter Sellers in like three roles was great.

And it had Lee J Cobb, speaking of which, 12 Angry Man is honestly my pick for best movie of all time. It is a perfect movie in every way and given it is so gripping despite only being in one room with nothing really happening, it’s a masterpiece.

Last edited:

holdzy89

NRL Captain
Can we include Dr. Strangelove in war movies? That was one weird and compelling movie that I feel was made well ahead of its time in many ways. Plus Peter Sellers in like three roles was great.

And it had Lee J Cobb, speaking of which, 12 Angry Man is honestly my pick for best movie of all time. It is a perfect movie in every way and given it is so gripping despite only being in one room with nothing really happening, it’s a masterpiece.
Of course! It's the cold war movie. Masterpiece in every way.

Love 12 Angry Men as well. The original is a masterpiece and even the re-make was watchable.

Tom

State of Origin Captain
I watched the new Wizard of Oz 4K transfer. Never made it the whole way through before in my life. It was a potent mix of weird, moving and dumb. The sets still look incredible.
In 4k can you tell if it's a munchkin hanging itself or not?

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
Is it? I admit it is better than your usual Bruce Willis grumble fest but is it THAT good?
I'm not saying it's a masterpiece, I'm just saying it's good. I've probably seen it 6 or 7 times, it's one of those ones that regularly pops up on Foxtel.

Enjoy the performances from Colin Farrell & Cole Hauser particularly.

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Drunk
The Odd Angry Shot encapsulates the Aussie larrikin spirit and camaraderie. Effects were average but the story etc makes up for it

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
The Odd Angry Shot encapsulates the Aussie larrikin spirit and camaraderie. Effects were average but the story etc makes up for it
Speaking of dodgy effects - shout out to Ed Wood movies, particularly Plan 9 From Outer Space, the greatest so bad it is good movie ever.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
1917 is a fine film. Especially good as a war film but not top five imo. Top ten perhaps. Missing an element that elevates it above very good into greatness. Some of the music choices were odd to me, some were excellent. Acting was good without being great. Main guy looked like Ders from Workaholics a bit haha
The acting could have been better. The people they got did a good job, though. The music choice at times was a little confusing, like when Schofield was running through that town when the flares were going up.. Odd choice of music there.

I watched it in cinemas. It's a more prettier picture and the sound was better but the key things you look out for (writing, acting, filming, editing etc) when determining whether a movie is great or not you get from a screener, as well.

It's definitely not in the top 5. They put too much focus on trying to achieve a one shot style and it had an impact on the final product.

Out of recent war movies, I would have Dunkirk and Lone Survivor ahead of it. When it comes to overall, it's down the list somewhat. In the top 10. It's still a great movie. In fact most of the hype about the movie seems to be over the filming style.

Alec

International Rep
I like long takes, but you don't need a whole movie to be like that (even if it's still stitched together). Looking back, it feels like Schofield travelled maybe like 2ks at the most?

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I like long takes, but you don't need a whole movie to be like that (even if it's still stitched together). Looking back, it feels like Schofield travelled maybe like 2ks at the most?
Definitely felt like he didn't travel far at all. I like the one shot style but at the same time I don't think it really has a place in war movies.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Definitely felt like he didn't travel far at all. I like the one shot style but at the same time I don't think it really has a place in war movies.
Unsurprising I know but I completely disagree. It build tension, it made you feel like you were in the trenches with them. The music in the town was a contrast in order to do two things - give a break in the tension and give the movie a surreal feel. Did it work? I am not sure either.

The one shot was brilliant and is an absolute feat in cinematography.

On the note on your post above, what problem did you have on writing, filming, acting, etc given all of them were done brilliantly (aside from the music in town)?

Jason Simmons

NRL Player
The whole mission was stated as 9 miles, in the film...

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
The new Fast and Furious trailer.

That end of those trailers. No. Just fucking no. How are they possibly going to spin that shit?

I'll still watch the movie because **** it, something to watch. Although I do NOT like the fact it has John Cena in it. They tried Rousey in one of them, it was fucking terrible. I can't imagine this will be any different.

Alec

International Rep
The Rock, Roddy Piper and Andre the Giant have been probably the only wrestlers I enjoyed in movies.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.