Name Your Latest & Greatest Android App

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
Being a relative android rookie ......I'm keen to hear what apps are working for you and what you would recommend.

I'm enjoying nova launcher prime, BlackPlayer (music) & the BOM radar.

Bit annoyed with either google maps or android (not sure which one is responsible) on the car audio GPS navigation. It appears that in order to have google voice come through the speakers, the audio mode has to be set to bluetooth, which therefore disables listening to FM radio. It's fun at first listening to my playlists from my phone....but, it's starting to become tiring. My previous windows phone while using DriveHere as the GPS app, would play its voice even while I was listening to FM radio.

Interested on what other GPS apps with voice navigation anybody else is using ......

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Google Maps is the best one out there, there are other options but generally paid.

As for apps, I don't do much beyond the basics but:

Colornote - good basic note taking app
Bluelight filter - Useful to lower brightness way down (beyond usual level) for late night reading.
17 Track - Good app to keep track of multiple packages with notifications
Photo Transfer - Easy way to use Wi-Fi (need to download corresponding app on the PC) to transfer photos and videos to your computer, because I generally CBF to find the cable, and since it's not shitty bluetooth, it actually transfers pretty quick.
BroncosHQ app - A stripped down version of Tapatalk for easy BHQ reading
Lastpass - If you use it, the benefits are obvious
Google clock - I'm one of those guys who sets 10 alarms for every morning, and when I wake up earlier than the last alarm it's a pain to turn them all of, with the Google app, if the alarms are within the hour, they show up in notifications and you can "dismiss" each alarm individually for that day only. I can't describe just how much I love that feature.
Google Launcher - Gives the phone a stock Android look, pair this with a "Material Design" theme on the Galaxy theme store and you have a nexus looking Galaxy phone.
Google Keyboard - It's flat out better than the Samsung/Manufacturer keyboard
Google Messenger - better than the stock SMS app IMO

That's all I can think of for now.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Floating Sticky Notes
Chronus Clock/Weather widget
Muzei with the Reddit Addon to change my wallpaper every 30 minutes
FlightRadar24 - I'm a plane nerd
Plex
Westpac
StumbleUpon
Spotify
Twitter
Facebook
Facebook Messenger
Google Rewards
Google Keyboard

I think I'm done. I'm sick of my clock and weather widget. What do others use if you use them?

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Also [MENTION=7980]Mr Fourex[/MENTION]. Google Maps is all you will need for GPS. It's really good for navigation, talks over bluetooth and all that jazz. If you're walking you can set it to walk, ride your bike etc.

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Brisvegas
Floating Sticky Notes
Chronus Clock/Weather widget
Muzei with the Reddit Addon to change my wallpaper every 30 minutes
FlightRadar24 - I'm a plane nerd
Plex
Westpac
StumbleUpon
Spotify
Twitter
Facebook
Facebook Messenger
Google Rewards
Google Keyboard

I think I'm done. I'm sick of my clock and weather widget. What do others use if you use them?

How good is the 3D function on the FlightRadar24 app

Culhwch

QCup Player
Bit annoyed with either google maps or android (not sure which one is responsible) on the car audio GPS navigation. It appears that in order to have google voice come through the speakers, the audio mode has to be set to bluetooth, which therefore disables listening to FM radio. It's fun at first listening to my playlists from my phone....but, it's starting to become tiring. My previous windows phone while using DriveHere as the GPS app, would play its voice even while I was listening to FM radio.

Interested on what other GPS apps with voice navigation anybody else is using ......
I never use the Bluetooth - I just have it play through the phone speaker. Seems like the obvious solution if you want to listen to the radio...?

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
You can't have FM and Bluetooth Audio. Even with an app you can't do that. It's a limitation of the car, and the Bluetooth standard. This wouldn't have been possible on your Windows phone either.

No different to not being able to listen to Spotify while you're listening to the radio. Radio must be in BT mode.

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
I never use the Bluetooth - I just have it play through the phone speaker. Seems like the obvious solution if you want to listen to the radio...?
Yep that is one solution. Previously however, with Windows OS and a different app, the FM radio volume would lower and the nav voice would come through the car's speakers. From what I've read, the only options I have with android and google maps are;

1. Voice navigation from the phone speakers (as you've suggested) while listening to the radio through the car speakers.
2. Voice navigation from the car speakers but, only in bluetooth audio mode, which cancels out listening to the radio and restricts you to only listening to music from your phone device.

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
You can't have FM and Bluetooth Audio. Even with an app you can't do that. It's a limitation of the car, and the Bluetooth standard. This wouldn't have been possible on your Windows phone either.
Incorrect.....it was.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Incorrect.....it was.
How was it setup. The only way I can see that happening is:

1. Your car can be connected to bluetooth audio AND FM radio at the same time (I've not seen this)
2. Your phone was streaming your FM radio via your Bluetooth front your phone to your car which would have been set on Bluetooth audio, not FM, or your phone had an FM receiver to stream via bluetooth.

I have seen some older cars connect play music and this sort of thing over the Bluetooth phone channel rather than audio, but this is not how it should work, nor does that meet the Bluetooth standard, and it will cut out the music completely as the single channel is delivering the Android voice which cuts the stereo.

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
I'm going to pair my windows phone to the car again to investigate.....I'm sure it was. It's why I'm disappointed it won't now.......

TBC

Dash

NRL Captain
Brisbane
I've seen it done before, with a bloke from work. The phone "calls" the car and you hear the direction over the speakers, interrupting the radio. Although this can cause you to miss the first second or so of the instruction while the "call" picks up.

It was a Nokia Windows phone and we were driving some sort of Kia IIRC. Not sure whether it was a feature of the phone or the car.

Last edited:

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
It would have to be the phone side if that's the case. In which case, you would need to hack the Android device and install a modification. I know one exists, as I saw it just the other day. Stuffed if I can find it now.

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
On my car I can select Bluetooth as the audio source, and I have no problem getting all audio from my phone (music, maps navigation, phone calls) to play through my car's speakers.
But most of the time I just want to listen to the radio, and that means I can't hear the Google Maps voice directions over the car speakers. The only choice I have is to disable playing voice prompts via bluetooth and listen for sound coming from my phone.
I've read that this is because Google Maps on Android uses A2DP protocol to play audio instead of using HFP which is what the iPhone can do. I understand using HFP would make your car think a phone call is coming in, so it would lower the radio volume and allow the audio to come through.
Is this a correct understanding of the issue? Is there any workaround that can be done on the 6P, or is this a phone hardware or Android OS limitation?
This is looming as a dead end. Plenty of various threads on heaps of forums ......the above comment, seems to be the guts of it. Even android apps that would have served as a work around, seemed to be getting killed off and now won't work on android 5 and upwards.

FFS!! .......can't everything just work with everything? Is your device choice always going to be a matter of a trade off......?? :motz:

Sigh...now looking into;

BTAudio (doesn't have good reviews).
Xposed....rooting your phone....really?
SoundAbout (thanks Nashy...this might work. Some reviews are a bit scratchy)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter