National Broadband Network

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
Well my suburb is not even on the 3 year roll out plan so we are stuck on ADSL1 for what looks like the foreseeable future.

Until recently (8 months or so) our exchange was highly congested for about 3 and 1/2 years, during peak times 6:30am to 11:30pm our download speed was basically 0.3Mbps. Telstra acknowledged the problem but chose to delay doing anything about it for a considerable length of time.

Fortunately after a backhaul upgrade we now get about 7Mbps, not fast by any means but solid. After being stuck with 0.3 for so long I'm honestly just thankful for what I have now.

*Waynesaurus gets down on his knees and prays to broadband gods* :pray:
What exchange and what ISP?

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
Before you switch, I would complain to Telstra. Don't mention the internet, say you have noise on your phone line. Never mention internet.

They will have no choice but to fix it if you complain enough, then go to NBN and sweet.

Don't mention Internet. I can't stress that enough. Not even a little bit. The moment you say anything about it, you'll go to bigpond, and you're i na world of pain and hate.
I used a different ISP but they did get the Telstra techs out a couple of times. Made bugger all difference and the line quality just kept getting worse over time so I eventually bit the bullet and paid out the arse for Optus HFC.

There's no NBN in my area yet, our exchange wss slated for FTTP to be installed in 2015 (IIRC) which got cancelled after the election and now have dropped off a cliff and have no indication of what product we'll ever get. So no point in contacting Telstra about the rubbish copper at the moment, but the bit about only mentioning the phone line quality is good advice. It's how I (or my ISP really) got the tech to come out the first time around.

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
I live in Chermside and there's no planned rollout for my area. CHERMSIDE. **** me dead.
It's because Telstra cable is available in the area. It offers 100mbps, same as fastest current NBN, so they won't upgrade yours before others who don't have access to anything faster than ADSL. Anyway, Telstra have approval to convert HFC to NBN which will likely happen within a year or so.

Kimlo

International Captain
Brisbane
With that upload speed it can't be?

Isn't that 25/5 NBN? Are you sure you're on the higher speed plan?

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
With that upload speed it can't be?

Isn't that 25/5 NBN? Are you sure you're on the higher speed plan?
No....I haven't agreed (or been asked to, for that matter) to pay anything extra.

I will be making inquiries on Monday. Still, 25/5 isn't too bad.

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
No....I haven't agreed (or been asked to, for that matter) to pay anything extra.

Mate, you're running with the Peter Wallace of NBN connections.

You oughta upgrade to the Darren Lockyer pack...

During the five months I've had NBN, I think I've done more speed tests than I did during the previous 13 years of having an internet connection.

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
Oooo....94/37 !!!

This 25/5 crap, simply will not do......!
FYI. When I told them I wanted a better deal or I would leave, they offered the speed boost for free. Push them hard. Retentions offered it to me.

Then I left anyway.
[MENTION=1848]ningnangnong[/MENTION] - My TPG issued modem is now a doorstop.

Kimlo

International Captain
Brisbane

My understanding of the NBN plans on offer, is 12/1 is the tier 1 speed, then it goes 25/5, 50/20 and 100/40.

25 ain't bad really, it's doable, but for me personally I would always go for the 100. That download speed is fantastic when you grab a full movie in about 2 minutes. Like Nashy said though, if you bitch and moan with Telstra, you're just about guaranteed to get a free speed boost to 100/40. I've done exactly what he did, about 2 years ago, and I've had a rolling $20 credit to cover the speed boost since then. Win. If you have a mobile plan with them, or anything else, it's going to be pretty easy to get it free.

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
Thanks boys......that's the angle I'll be going at Telstra with.

Super speed me for free or I'm outta here cunts .....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.