National Broadband Network

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Speed has never been a problem, it's reliability. You may not notice it, your area might even be perfect. Every area is going to be different but the NBN didn't do a nationwide halt on all HFC connections for a year for no reason, it's because it had severe stability and usability problems and they only just resumed sales back in December but it's still far from what I'd consider reliable.

I use things like smart bulbs, so every single disconnect is a pain in the arse and noticeable, if you're not on the Internet all day you may not notice dropouts or you might be lucky and have a rock solid connection. I use my Internet for work so it's pretty fucking annoying when it drop outs. I can't do my job properly without Internet and have to rely on 4G hotspots.

But again, mileage will definitely vary area to area. It's an issue with HFC, not the NBN retailers, they have no control over the network or its reliability, they do have control over the speed though. Without getting too technical, Telstra Cable had a wider spectrum to work with than what the NBN has and until the entire Telstra Cable network is decommissioned so the NBN can take over the entire available spectrum, it's not going to be as reliable as what Telstra cable was.

If I had the option of rolling back to Telstra cable I would in a heart beat.
It should also be pointed out that not only do we have a technology mix, there are also two HFC networks operating independent to each other. Those on Optus' old HFC who are now on NBN are likely getting excellent connection, because those areas were the test case for seeing how much it was going to fix to make that old thing work again.

They canned it... Optus laughing all the way to the bank.

Jason Simmons

NRL Player
Speed has never been a problem, it's reliability. You may not notice it, your area might even be perfect. Every area is going to be different but the NBN didn't do a nationwide halt on all HFC connections for a year for no reason, it's because it had severe stability and usability problems and they only just resumed sales back in December but it's still far from what I'd consider reliable.

I use things like smart bulbs, so every single disconnect is a pain in the arse and noticeable, if you're not on the Internet all day you may not notice dropouts or you might be lucky and have a rock solid connection. I use my Internet for work so it's pretty fucking annoying when it drop outs. I can't do my job properly without Internet and have to rely on 4G hotspots.

But again, mileage will definitely vary area to area. It's an issue with HFC, not the NBN retailers, they have no control over the network or its reliability, they do have control over the speed though. Without getting too technical, Telstra Cable had a wider spectrum to work with than what the NBN has and until the entire Telstra Cable network is decommissioned so the NBN can take over the entire available spectrum, it's not going to be as reliable as what Telstra cable was.

If I had the option of rolling back to Telstra cable I would in a heart beat.
Yep, but OTOH, my complex was wired for NBN nearly 2.5 years ago and I got HFC 2 weeks ago... The complex wiring program took ADSL out of the equation, which left me reliant on services like Vivid Wireless 4G home 'broadband' during that time, so you can imagine my astonishment in the relative service I am getting now under NBN compared to Vivid... The 'pause' was annoying no doubt, but I wonder, if the full FTTH program had been continued rather than switching to the MTM, how long that would have taken in reality?

I expect I'd still be on 4G re-starting and even resetting my modem 2-3 times a week to have any internet at all, for the forseeable future...

Dash

NRL Player
Brisbane
It should also be pointed out that not only do we have a technology mix, there are also two HFC networks operating independent to each other. Those on Optus' old HFC who are now on NBN are likely getting excellent connection, because those areas were the test case for seeing how much it was going to fix to make that old thing work again.

I currently have Optus HFC, and we're scheduled to switch over to NBN anytime from last month. Am I in for a good time or a bad time?

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I currently have Optus HFC, and we're scheduled to switch over to NBN anytime from last month. Am I in for a good time or a bad time?
I'm really surprised they're offering it to you. Are you possibly in an area where Telstra is also serviced?

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Yep, but OTOH, my complex was wired for NBN nearly 2.5 years ago and I got HFC 2 weeks ago... The complex wiring program took ADSL out of the equation, which left me reliant on services like Vivid Wireless 4G home 'broadband' during that time, so you can imagine my astonishment in the relative service I am getting now under NBN compared to Vivid... The 'pause' was annoying no doubt, but I wonder, if the full FTTH program had been continued rather than switching to the MTM, how long that would have taken in reality?

I expect I'd still be on 4G re-starting and even resetting my modem 2-3 times a week to have any internet at all, for the forseeable future...
Yeah it all depends what you had before hand, if I had crappy ADSL I'd probably cop the drop outs and be happy with what I have.

I just got home 20 minutes ago needing to write up a quote for a customer, no Internet, resetting modem didn't fix it. NBN closed my fault request because they apparently consider anything less than 5 drop outs a day acceptable service level LOL.

So I'm going to make sure it gets to 5 drop outs a day and re-raise the fault request. It's annoying for me because I went from a 100% perfectly reliable (and faster) Telstra cable to an inferior unreliable NBN mess. Hopefully in a month or two I have nothing to complain about but it looks like I need a third NBN tech out and if that's not fixing it I'm going to the TIO then speaking to my local MP to get them to raise the issue with the NBN directly.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

NBN closed my request on the 13th (3 days ago) and noted they replaced the NTD... WTF.

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
Spent the Easter break without home based internet (used my phone as a hot spot...chewed up a skinny data allowance)

I looked into MyBigpond (I'm a long time Telstra customer). I read there was a scheduled maintenance in my area and we'd be without until the 28th of April. I couldn't believe this, so I rang them up and yep....got the same reply from an operator. So in effect I'm paying for shitty ADSL2, that I'm not getting, for half of this months billing cycle. They offered a credit back. It's not the point.

The scheduled maintenance came without warning.

So this got me looking into home mobile broadband options, of which Telstra, have appalling choices for substantial data users.

I've decided to go with optus 4G 500GB at $80/mnth, no plan...but had to purchase the huawei modem. Since nobody was using the home phone anyway.....there's no homeline bundle. At $80/mnth, I'm $40/mnth ahead of the game compared to Telstra.($119/mnth homeline/broadband bundle....for shitty ADSL)

I cancelled my telstra contract today.

I should have done this months ago.

In my area the 4G is reasonable at 10 DL & 2 UL.....not great but better than the ADSL I was getting. I'll probably hang out in the 4G world (might look into a 4G antenna) until the NBN shows up next year. At this stage, I'll sign with Optus

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
my nbn was connected today (FTTC) ... finally can piss Telstra off ...

ended up going with TPG on the NBN50 plan for $69.99 per month.

the modem was delivered today, then tonight i got a call from TPG asking if i have set it up and checked if it was activated yet ...

I was like "hang on a sec, i'm haven't been contacted about an appointment to get the NBN box installed"

i didn't actually realise you just plugged an nbn device into the phone socket like you would an ADSL modem ... lol

Jedhead

NRL Player

the modem was delivered today, then tonight i got a call from TPG asking if i have set it up and checked if it was activated yet ...

I was like "hang on a sec, i'm haven't been contacted about an appointment to get the NBN box installed"

i didn't actually realise you just plugged an nbn device into the phone socket like you would an ADSL modem ... lol
What does that mean they did not have to install a box at your house?

soup

State of Origin Rep

That seems expensive mate. I get 100/40 unlimited for $10 more FTTP.

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
What does that mean they did not have to install a box at your house?
I was under the impression that they needed to install one of the grey nbn boxes on the side of the house with some plug/point or something.

a place mum was living at a few years ago had something like that installed to get ready for the nbn (although that could have been FTTP)

That seems expensive mate. I get 100/40 unlimited for $10 more FTTP.
not really ... i went for a mid-range price which all varied from about $65 per month to $79 per month

I could have gone for one of the cheaper ISP, but after doing some research (and checking whirlpool) it seems that they can be a bit iffy and have some really bad speed drops during peak.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I was under the impression that they needed to install one of the grey nbn boxes on the side of the house with some plug/point or something.

a place mum was living at a few years ago had something like that installed to get ready for the nbn (although that could have been FTTP)

not really ... i went for a mid-range price which all varied from about $65 per month to $79 per month

I could have gone for one of the cheaper ISP, but after doing some research (and checking whirlpool) it seems that they can be a bit iffy and have some really bad speed drops during peak.
That's only on FTTP and HFC NBN

Soup is right. It's expensive. I'm on double that for $79 too. You'll be contracted now, and TPG is fine, you won't be disappointed.

ivanhungryjak

NRL Captain
Suncorp Stadium
I can't believe the same government that vandalized this project essentially got rewarded for doing so with re-election. It's enough to make anyone cynical about the priorities of voters.
The majority aren’t tech heads though. I mean, I have the nbn, I can stream Netflix, Kayo etc. I download the paper and browse the net. On the list of priorities when I go to the ballot box, internet just doesn’t even rate for me.
- Merged

Last edited:

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
The majority aren’t tech heads though. I mean, I have the nbn, I can stream Netflix, Kayo etc. I download the paper and browse the net. On the list of priorities when I go to the ballot box, internet just doesn’t even rate for me.
- Merged
You should go up a level in your thinking, and look at the amount of your money they have wasted, ruining Australia's greatest technological infrastructure project ever, leaving us with a broken system, which has cost more, and will need to be rebuilt soon anyway.

Thinking "Innernet sucks" isn't right. "Wasted how much fucking money?" is the right question.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
You should go up a level in your thinking, and look at the amount of your money they have wasted, ruining Australia's greatest technological infrastructure project ever, leaving us with a broken system, which has cost more, and will need to be rebuilt soon anyway.

Thinking "Innernet sucks" isn't right. "Wasted how much fucking money?" is the right question.
This argument is flawed though. Wasted / "cost more" compared to what? You not going to seriously argue that Labor's original budget was remotely accurate. They didn't even consult the industry when they came up with their costing, they literally pulled it out of their arse.

soup

State of Origin Rep
This argument is flawed though. Wasted / "cost more" compared to what? You not going to seriously argue that Labor's original budget was remotely accurate. They didn't even consult the industry when they came up with their costing, they literally pulled it out of their arse.
The whole infrastructure was a joke with 5G around the corner. The NBN in entirety was a horrible joke of an expense to the Australian taxpayers.

One of my mates was a supervisor for the field techs. He started his day by going for coffee at around 9-10 (whenever it best suited him) and was home most days by 1pm. All while raking in $180k a year.

You know he qualified for the role? A mate... he was a brickies labourer prior...

The whole thing is a ridiculous waste of money.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter