National Broadband Network

Porthoz

International Captain
My NBN (HFC 3.1 btw), is arriving on the 21st June, hopefully it won't be a poisoned b'day pressie, because I have a pretty good connection now via cable. It will be good to have better upload though.

I probably will be going to Aussie as well, as everything I hear about them makes them probably the best available provider at the moment.

Morkel Morkel , you are hopelessly out of your depth here mate. Please quit while you're ahead. The LNP failed so badly here, you're fighting a battle that was lost ages ago when this discussion took place with Coxy, and him arguing for the same reasons you are...

Last edited:

Morkel

International Captain
I’m not interested in the nerd huddle’s opinions of my tech knowledge. The point still stands that the argument that this version of the NBN “costs” more is a flawed argument.

If they end up going back through the entire system and replace it again with fibre, I’d agree with you. But that’s not going to happen, because we’re not far away from alternative technologies taking over. People won’t be relying as heavily on the hard connection.

In fact what we’re doing at our work is proof of what I argued all along - if the basic architecture doesn’t meet the commercial needs, investing in a faster and more reliable connection is an option, without putting it back on the taxpayer.

Similarly, using fixed wireless for residential connections out in the sticks like mine are far more cost effective than running fibre out here, where it’s literally 200m between each property. We already get faster than the base NBN plans, and it’s consistent AF. And as wireless technology improves we’ll have access to faster connections in future.

Aaaaaand, Labor’s “fibre to the anus” was never actually costed, beyond some politicians making up a figure that would appear palatable to taxpayers.

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
I’m not interested in the nerd huddle’s opinions of my tech knowledge. The point still stands that the argument that this version of the NBN “costs” more is a flawed argument.

If they end up going back through the entire system and replace it again with fibre, I’d agree with you. But that’s not going to happen, because we’re not far away from alternative technologies taking over. People won’t be relying as heavily on the hard connection.

In fact what we’re doing at our work is proof of what I argued all along - if the basic architecture doesn’t meet the commercial needs, investing in a faster and more reliable connection is an option, without putting it back on the taxpayer.

Similarly, using fixed wireless for residential connections out in the sticks like mine are far more cost effective than running fibre out here, where it’s literally 200m between each property. We already get faster than the base NBN plans, and it’s consistent AF. And as wireless technology improves we’ll have access to faster connections in future.

Aaaaaand, Labor’s “fibre to the anus” was never actually costed, beyond some politicians making up a figure that would appear palatable to taxpayers.
So again, what's happening in Morkel's life, is 100% correct, and any outside influence is wrong. Completely.

Your opinion on this is flawed because you have no idea, and you know it. Where's the argument when we laid copper? Where's the arguments for the road network? The electricity network? There are none, because the suggestion that remote areas shouldn't get major infrastructure is lunacy.

It has been costed, again, and again. They would have run over. Absolutely. But as of right now, FTTP is the cheapest and would have been cheaper. What the dumbshit LNP can't wrap around their heads, is that those costing were taking into account tech prices dropping at a rate they didn't end up heading for a few years later. You know, similar to what the LNP flogs do with budgets?

NBN was running well when the LNP came in, they hadn't touched their emergency slush fund, they hadn't requested more money fromthe government. The contracts were being adhered to, even if the contractors were complaining. LNP came in, threw the board out, tore up the contracts, paid far more money.

We can agree to disagree though, even though it's quite obvious you are wrong, you only start throwing out crap like "nErD hUdDlE" when you have nothing.

I will say though, the religion thread and conspiracy threads should be the examples people look at. When Morkel knows what he's talking about, it's a good discussion, repetitive, but good. When he has no idea, it's pretty damned obvious, like here. Reminds me of the codec bullshit. Arguing for the sake of arguing. Here though, you're just pushing Abbott's lines, and that's pathetic. The common trend hits all those threads though. Morkel's way or nothing, what Morkel thinks is correct, is right.

How dare you call me entitled for wanting my Government to do something correctly instead of ruining something for Murdoch and because it was Labor's idea. What a pissant way of thinking. You suck Morkel.

Porthoz

International Captain

It's not the nerd huddle opinion about your tech knowledge (which is quite apparent to be lacking), but about the subject itself.
You remind me of antivaxxers arguing about inserts, VAERS, NVICP, and how their "resurch" trumps medical professionals knowledge.

Fact: We're not close to have alternative (wireless) technologies taking over, because they would not be able to cope with the volume on current infrastructure. Think trying to use your phone data at Suncorp stadium during the break of a SOO game, then make it 5x. worse.

Using your house as example, where density is very low and suited for the purpose, is almost as relevant as me telling you that cable to a plane or a ship is probably not as suitable as the incredibly expensive satellite solution. Duhhh

Trying to bring wireless (5G) infrastructure to a density level capable of dealing with the bandwidth and volumes required to replace the current wired infrastructure would be exponentially dearer, at least in urban areas, still require lots of fibre being laid to connect it to the backbone, and could have other unintended issues as a consequence of the concentrated amount of MW per sqm.

P.S. Proper internet is not a luxury, it is exactly the kind of thing taxes are supposed to pay for, just like roads, mass transit, hospitals and schools. On this I am 100% behind Nashy Nashy and Kimlo Kimlo in regards to the LNP being way too conservative about. Don't be a fucking Abbott/Turnbull about it.

Last edited:

Morkel

International Captain
I’m not arguing what’s best for me, I’m arguing what’s best for taxpayers. I really, really wouldn’t suggest you start an argument on advocating for certain things based on selfish decisions.

Porthoz

International Captain
I’m not arguing what’s best for me, I’m arguing what’s best for taxpayers. I really, really wouldn’t suggest you start an argument on advocating for certain things based on selfish decisions.
No you're not. Saying a half baked and already close to obsolete internet, is better for taxpayers, is as ignorant as it gets.
Implying our informed opinions are based on selfish needs, is even more ignorant, not to say intellectually dishonest.

Last edited:

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
No you're not. You're arguing the line the LNP has fed you. You're a shill.

Kimlo

International Captain
Brisbane
It'd be like me having strong opinions on the printing industry. I have no fucking idea, I won't pretend otherwise. You legitimately have no idea about network infrastructure. You're actually embarassing yourself instead of conceding you don't understand the depth of this topic.

Every expert in the country, and experts around the globe told the LNP their direction for the NBN was flawed and would be insufficient and cost more in the long run.

You actually quoted 5G and wireless again. You don't have a fucking clue what 5G to actually work on a national level requires. Base stations every few hundred metres. Guess what powers those base stations? Fibre optic. Your shitty good enough copper cannot power 5G speeds. Do you think it's better suited for the rural areas? LOL. The entire point of 5G is having more towers, closer together it'll cost more than 4G ever did to roll out rural and may never happen. Telstra themselves have admitted 5G will likely not reach the same coverage as 4G. ALP thought of that, that's why the most remote 3% of the population was slated for satellite coverage instead of direct connection.

All the LNP did was buy out Optus and Telstra's garbage cable network realise it was actually fucked so had to decommission the entire Optus network (costing fucking billions) and spending an undisclosed amount of money fixing the ancient Telstra cable network. They were too embarassed to give an actual figure.

Guess who benefits most from a country that doesn't have nation wide, reliable, fast, high capacity broadband? Traditional fucking media. Murdoch. Murdoch corp went hard against the NBN using all the same bollocks arguments you're using and the LNP puppets followed their demand and crippled the network to appease Murdoch and stay in power with favourable coverage.

Morkel

International Captain
It'd be like me having strong opinions on the printing industry. I have no fucking idea, I won't pretend otherwise. You legitimately have no idea about network infrastructure. You're actually embarassing yourself instead of conceding you don't understand the depth of this topic.

Every expert in the country, and experts around the globe told the LNP their direction for the NBN was flawed and would be insufficient and cost more in the long run.

You actually quoted 5G and wireless again. You don't have a fucking clue what 5G to actually work on a national level requires. Base stations every few hundred metres. Guess what powers those base stations? Fibre optic. Your shitty good enough copper cannot power 5G speeds. Do you think it's better suited for the rural areas? LOL. The entire point of 5G is having more towers, closer together it'll cost more than 4G ever did to roll out rural and may never happen. Telstra themselves have admitted 5G will likely not reach the same coverage as 4G. ALP thought of that, that's why the most remote 3% of the population was slated for satellite coverage instead of direct connection.

All the LNP did was buy out Optus and Telstra's garbage cable network realise it was actually fucked so had to decommission the entire Optus network (costing fucking billions) and spending an undisclosed amount of money fixing the ancient Telstra cable network. They were too embarassed to give an actual figure.

Guess who benefits most from a country that doesn't have nation wide, reliable, fast, high capacity broadband? Traditional fucking media. Murdoch. Murdoch corp went hard against the NBN using all the same bollocks arguments you're using and the LNP puppets followed their demand and crippled the network to appease Murdoch and stay in power with favourable coverage.
I never said 5G for rural areas. I specifically said fixed wireless. And doesn’t the current NBN rollout use satellite for remote areas?

If 5G needs base stations every few hundred metres and a fibre network, that still just means the major arterials need fibre. That would make the Labor plan of fibre to the home effectively redundent, which is where most of the LNP’s cost savings were found. Leaving copper to the premises does not effect this at all, except in terms of backup or if there is slow adoption.

Nashy Nashy, if you’re going to claim that I only support the LNP’s plan because of religious beliefs, or claim I’m a shill, don’t get your back up if I reduce your opinion to that of a brat in a basement, whinging that Mummy didn’t buy them the newest and fastest toy.

I’ve already disclosed that my social beliefs are more supported by Labor’s policies. But as you also know, I’m a tightarse, and if I’m not going to spend my money on excess, I sure am not going to expect taxpayers money to be spent that way.

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
I never said 5G for rural areas. I specifically said fixed wireless. And doesn’t the current NBN rollout use satellite for remote areas?

If 5G needs base stations every few hundred metres and a fibre network, that still just means the major arterials need fibre. That would make the Labor plan of fibre to the home effectively redundent, which is where most of the LNP’s cost savings were found. Leaving copper to the premises does not effect this at all, except in terms of backup or if there is slow adoption.

Nashy Nashy, if you’re going to claim that I only support the LNP’s plan because of religious beliefs, or claim I’m a shill, don’t get your back up if I reduce your opinion to that of a brat in a basement, whinging that Mummy didn’t buy them the newest and fastest toy.

I’ve already disclosed that my social beliefs are more supported by Labor’s policies. But as you also know, I’m a tightarse, and if I’m not going to spend my money on excess, I sure am not going to expect taxpayers money to be spent that way.
You argument completely falls over when you somehow attempt to use the same lies the LNP do. NBN is currently costing more. They're wasting your money. The very thing you're arguing to stop doing, is exactly what the deadshit LNP did.

john1420

NRL Player
Wow, there is a lot of passion on here about politics

IS someone really an LNP Shill for having an opinion, an opinion that may have been formed without listening to a thing any political party has said on the matter?

Can someone not have their own opinion, as different as it may be from someone else's, without it being political?

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
Wow, there is a lot of passion on here about politics

IS someone really an LNP Shill for having an opinion, an opinion that may have been formed without listening to a thing any political party has said on the matter?

Can someone not have their own opinion, as different as it may be from someone else's, without it being political?
The issue isn't having an opinion. It's having an opinion that uses false information, and the line the LNP sold to make those lies "right". They're not, and yes, he's a shill.

john1420

NRL Player
The issue isn't having an opinion. It's having an opinion that uses false information, and the line the LNP sold to make those lies "right". They're not, and yes, he's a shill.
OK, to be fair, I have not listened to a thing said on the topic, so I haven't a clue whose opinions are based on what

I'll just quietly exit the room, with some credibility hopefully intact :)

Kimlo

International Captain
Brisbane

Lol righto mate.

There's no shame in having the humility to admit you don't understand a topic.

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
No, but there is in insisting on making silly statements after being schooled on the matter...
No no no, you have it all wrong. The nerd huddle are just entitled assholes. We just want fast download speeds, and Morkel is really good at computers and stuff like that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter

Upgrade to a Contributor Account to remove advertising