New Bronco faces surgery

I disagree. Better with the ball perhaps as he has more room to move, but his lack of urgency in defence is a major worry.

Beale said:
Gerard Beale or Jharal Yow Yeh can both play fullback.

Tom Hewitt also maybe?

Thanks for putting your case forward Gerard.

I'd say hodges is at least as good as hunt at full back the problem is hodges is also just as good at centre, hunt on the other hand doesn't handel well on the wing and goes quiet. Its like slater and inglis at the storm a couple years back, inglis was probebly better at fullback too but slater just couln't work anywhere else so they kept inglis in the outside backs to strenthen up the two spots overall.

Interesting to note de-vere has been added to the player profiles on boncos.com.au so looks like he's still serious about filling a centre spot, gives you anouther option, you could even push michaels to fullback if you wanted, he's got some talent and experiance now.

^^ I disagree about Hodges being at least as good as Hunt at fullback, Hunt is one of the better players under a high bomb, whereas Hodges will usually let it bounce. I agree that if a defending team has a poor kick chase line Hodges is more likely to carve up. Plus I think Hunt is a better ball-player in the 2nd man decoy plays. Just IMO...

I think 2009 will see a clumsy, frustrated and overweight Hodges who will seriously miss Wayne.
I can't see his 'issues' being sorted out in a couple of months.
He seems a bit too complicated to be playing footy at the moment.

I actually agree with you Ghilbi, it was hunts lack of kick return evasiveness that I think even up a bit with hodges less confident takes under the high ball. Some games just stick in your head but the back end of 06 I just have this image of hodges cutting up the oposition on the kick returns, a little billy slater-ish in some ways. Hodges is deceptive, he'll look like he's moving quite slow then bam he seams to be able to step evade and rush at great pace. Hunt's great in many ways too, and definetly better ball handeling wise, just saying they've both got their strengths.

Raw may also have a point with how hodges "progresses" in the next couple months as well, seams like de-vere will be quick to want to take his spot if theres any problems. Michaels will also easily fill a centre spot its like we're spoilt for choice there at the moment.

Ghibli said:
^^ I disagree about Hodges being at least as good as Hunt at fullback, Hunt is one of the better players under a high bomb, whereas Hodges will usually let it bounce. I agree that if a defending team has a poor kick chase line Hodges is more likely to carve up. Plus I think Hunt is a better ball-player in the 2nd man decoy plays. Just IMO...

TOTALLY agree. As I said earlier, Hodges' defensive positioning and urgency is poor. He can't be relied on at fullback.

Hodges can't be better than Hunt at fullback because Hunt is the best fullback in the world. 'Nuff said.

Hunt has more experience coming from behind, I'd back him any day over Hodges. icon_thumbs_u

I agree with Raw that I really do wonder if we will see the Hodges that he was in his prime, but as for Chief being his replacement, I see Devere as more winger from what I remember of him unless his game has changed lots.

Alec said:
Hodges can't be better than Hunt at fullback because Hunt is the best fullback in the world. 'Nuff said.

[icon_lol1.

Outside of voluntary tackles I remember (and choose not to) nothing of his game.

I was really looking forward to this fellow and see how he would fit in but that Broncos injury curse got him or something. Next, someone will break their wrist signing the contract.

good to hear that he was misdiagnosed and is training with the team

Unread

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • MrMoore
  • Old Mate
  • Dash
  • Jazza
  • kiwibronco
  • sooticus
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.