Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
57d90d8926057b137820c0c5e1a86df6

New Broncos signing Andre Savelio on track to play NRL in 2018

December 26, 2017

New Brisbane Broncos signing Andre Savelio is on track to put himself in the frame for selection in the top 17 for round one in 2018 if he continues his impressive performances on the training paddock.

The 22-year-old former Warrington and St Helens forward has several representative players ahead of him with a bench spot his likely entry into NRL football.

Broncos assistant coach Jason Demetriou said the back-rower had been an outstanding performer in pre-season training before Christmas and was on track to achieve his goal of playing in the Telstra Premiership.

"There is no doubt he has set himself to play NRL and from what I have seen so far there is no reason to think he won't," Demetriou told NRL.com.

"Andre is definitely going to push a few players in the squad to make sure they are performing and who knows, he might push himself into the top 17 for round one.

"He's a big body, he's young and he's had a good start to his career over in England at two pretty successful clubs in St Helens and Warrington.

"Andre is one of our fitter players on the training field and with things like his tackle technique he is very competitive.

"I am very excited about what he might be able to deliver and I am looking forward to seeing him playing some games for the Broncos."

It was his childhood dream to play for the Broncos so it is no surprise Savelio idolised two of the club's greats growing up: Darren Lockyer and Corey Parker.

It was "the demeanour and aura" of Lockyer that captivated a young Savelio while Parker's relentless drive to improve throughout his career also inspired.

"I always admired the control Lockyer had," Savelio said.

"Everyone knows how good a player he was but he was a highly respected character.

"You'd put him up there next to Cameron Smith and Thurston in the way they are looked up to by everyone.

"And I've enjoyed watching Corey Parker. You don't play over 300 games by luck.

"He always led from the front, with actions and words, but mainly actions though.

"Corey played more and more Origins and got better as he got older. He was an unbelievable player who worked on his craft."

Savelio acknowledged he had the opportunity of a lifetime at Brisbane after signing a two-year deal.

He spoke to the club several years ago about a possible move when the Broncos were in the UK for the World Club Series but didn't feel he was ready.

"I am stoked, definitely, just to be at one of the best, if not the best, club in the world and playing under the best coach" he said.

"It has been a dream since I was younger.

"I've spoken to (football manager) Pete Nolan a few times about it over the last couple of years.

"I met Wayne Bennett in 2015 and I nearly came over here back then. I was at St Helens at the time, and I was in awe of him.

"I'll play anywhere that Wayne wants me to play, and hopefully I can crack it."

Savelio has watched on as the likes of the Burgess brothers and James Graham forged careers in the NRL.

"That is dream, to come over here and hopefully be as successful as them," he said.

"You look at the English forwards that have come over here and they have gone quite well.

"I wouldn't have come here if I didn't think I could play (NRL). That is the hope, to train hard and hopefully Wayne can see that and I get the chance."

Source: NRL.com

Excellent. Thaiday had best perform at the top of his game, I've no doubt his spot is the first on the chopping block.

Excellent. Thaiday had best perform at the top of his game, I've no doubt his spot is the first on the chopping block.

Anyone who has seen my post history would know I would not be against this, but Bennett may be very wary of creating another Tallis situation of "disrespecting a retiring player by cutting their final season off at the knees". You just know the media will dogpile onto him for it, regardless of whatever form Thaiday is playing with.

Anyone who has seen my post history would know I would not be against this, but Bennett may be very wary of creating another Tallis situation of "disrespecting a retiring player by cutting their final season off at the knees". You just know the media will dogpile onto him for it, regardless of whatever form Thaiday is playing with.
I don't think Bennett is really the type to persist with an underperforming player to satisfy the media, no matter their thoughts on it. In fact I hope he has had a little word to Sam informing him he will be dropped if need be and Sam responds accordingly.

Tallis wanted to retire and Wayne thought he had more in him. Tallis didn't believe in himself and lacked the heart to play. If Thaiday shows a lack of ticker then Wayne will drop him. Wayne has never put up with coasting from anyone. Hopefully Thaiday does a Hancock instead and aims to ne better for the team in whatever that is.

How's our 2018 forward depth looking?

☐ Bad
☐ Good
☑ With boppers like this guy, Takeiteze, Haas, Su'A, Carrigan etc etc, on our depth chats - I'd say we're going ok.

I don't think Bennett is really the type to persist with an underperforming player to satisfy the media, no matter their thoughts on it. In fact I hope he has had a little word to Sam informing him he will be dropped if need be and Sam responds accordingly.

I don't know about that... he did persist with Moga for an entire season

To be fair, Moga showed he has an incredible amount of potential. He looked damaging every time he got the ball. If he could just learn how to position himself defensively, pass at opportune times, and reach an IQ over 75 he could be very good.

With Moga in the team, how did Kahu have the dumbest moment of the year?

I think at least Thaiday Wil have the chance to be in round 1 by default, if all things are even. If he underperforms at training, it will said he has sustained a niggling injury (not fit enough) and will need some time to recover (get fitter). If that is the case, he will know he can play along or give up.

To be fair, Moga showed he has an incredible amount of potential. He looked damaging every time he got the ball. If he could just learn how to position himself defensively, pass at opportune times, and reach an IQ over 75 he could be very good.

I actually think he could be the best winger in the comp. He has the speed and power to do a lot of damage there. At center, his lack of defence, discipline and passing has been clear for everyone to see. These wouldnt be as biug of an issue on the wing.

I actually think he could be the best winger in the comp. He has the speed and power to do a lot of damage there. At center, his lack of defence, discipline and passing has been clear for everyone to see. These wouldnt be as biug of an issue on the wing.
Can he catch a bomb though, or get lowto defuse a grubber in goal?

His kick returns would be crazy.

Maybe his glass knee is stopping him from playing there?

Can he catch a bomb though, or get lowto defuse a grubber in goal?

His kick returns would be crazy.
To be fair, that's where he carved up in junior grades. He's high balls were spectacular that is where they got the next Folau hype from. I'm not sure with his injuries how high he can jump.

Unread

Active Now

• UP DA BRIZZY BRONX
  • Griffo
  • broncsgoat
  • pennywisealfie
  • lynx000
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Scorchie
  • barker
  • Culhwch
  • Xzei
  • Manofoneway
  • Waynesaurus
  • MrMoore
  • Fitzy
  • broncoscope
  • BroncoFan94
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.