New Gaming/Work PC Build

Mosyzlak

QCup Player
Sydney
Hey guys,

I've run this by a few friends on facebook but I thought why not use the wealth of knowledge that is BHQ to see if there's any strong opinions to help me with my build. I work in IT and have built several rigs that have lasted me a number of years but the current girl is 5+ years old and in need of replacing. The parts I am looking at getting are:

CPUIntel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
MotherboardMSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
MemoryCorsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory
StorageSamsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
GraphicsMSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card Gold Gaming G1
Power SupplyCorsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

I have an existing SSD and HDD so OS and media storage is covered. The power supply may change as I have had a couple recommendations for Sea Sonic, would really like to get a quiet PS as the PC sits in the lounge room and we all know happy wife blah blah.

Any suggestions on a good case with good airflow appreciated too as the PC will sit inside a cupboard with little ventilation. The door usually remains open during use but if I can rig it to work with it closed the blah blah goes up!

Thanks guys 'n gals

Renegade

NRL Captain
I have the same memory, CPU and gfx. Though i've got 24gb (actually bought a 4x8 and had to take a stick out for my heatstink).

so i guess a piece of advice would be make sure you've got heatsink that'll fit your mobo (unless you've got water cooling, in which case same deal for your mounts), cause you'll need it.

i'll try and find my case, i only upgraded in jan (spent 2100) but i forget exactly which case I bought

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
Always been a fan of the Gigabyte graphics range personally. I quite like their windforce coolers. That setup looks decent to me, but I'll bow to the more knowledgeable on here.

When it comes to the case, what are the dimensions of the space it needs to fit?

Renegade

NRL Captain
yeah good point, although if you've build them before you're probably somewhat aware ... gfx cards are big motherfuckers now, make sure whatever case you do get, is going to fix the gfx you intend on buying.

most cases these days have detachable hd cradles internally that you can remove to squeeze in the length of a card, but you'd wanna make sure that's the case before dropping a few benjamins on either.

Porthoz

International Captain
Never been a fan of the MSI range, but other than that, it looks pretty sweet.

I've got a Thermaltake Tough Power Gold 850W (modular)... very quiet, very solid. My case (Thermaltake Level 10) is pretty quiet as well, but probably on the expensive side, as it comes with integrated liquid cooling.

Mosyzlak

QCup Player
Sydney
Thanks [MENTION=1976]Nashy[/MENTION] :) I work for an MS Gold Partner so I think I'm covered on that side

Dimensions of the area are approx 280mm wide by 700mm high by 50mm deep. Would prefer something that is taller rather than deeper as there's cables at the back of course.

I heard Gigabyte had been a bit shit lately with releasing gfx and MB's that have locked voltages. the card I am looking comes overclocked with upgraded heatsinks so I don't have to dust off the OC hat.
[MENTION=2221]Porthoz[/MENTION] Geeeez I like that case! I'll have to dig around and see who might stock it in Sydney.

Cheers all!

Mosyzlak

QCup Player
Sydney
Have you settled on a 970? I hear there are memory allocation problems? I doubt it will be an issue for the average gamer.

Nvidia explains GeForce GTX 970's memory performance issues, admits error in specs | PCWorld
Yeah I saw the previously, the reviews I went off were performance based rather than spec based so that shouldn't change the value of it hopefully. The 980 is an extra $230 so it's a fairly big jump up to that level.

Just re-comparing the R9 290 with the GTX 970 and it's still looking better but with the caveat of not going over 3.5gb of VRAM usage in game. They really did stuff up there didn't they!

coreyh88

NRL Player
Hey guys,

I've run this by a few friends on facebook but I thought why not use the wealth of knowledge that is BHQ to see if there's any strong opinions to help me with my build. I work in IT and have built several rigs that have lasted me a number of years but the current girl is 5+ years old and in need of replacing. The parts I am looking at getting are:

CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard
MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory
Storage
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Graphics
MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card Gold Gaming G1
Power Supply
Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

I have an existing SSD and HDD so OS and media storage is covered. The power supply may change as I have had a couple recommendations for Sea Sonic, would really like to get a quiet PS as the PC sits in the lounge room and we all know happy wife blah blah.

Any suggestions on a good case with good airflow appreciated too as the PC will sit inside a cupboard with little ventilation. The door usually remains open during use but if I can rig it to work with it closed the blah blah goes up!

Thanks guys 'n gals
Unless using programs/games thatare specifically optimised for hyperthreading I strongly recommend going for an i5 k series cpu Suspicious Activity Detected
I vaguely remember the r9 290 being better value but nvidia does have a better track record for drivers (not on windows 10). I'm personally a huge fan of msi. They're expensive but noctua fans offer some of the best cooling to noise ratios around as well.

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
I have never seen any one recommend going an i5 over an i7 for anything other than cost. I'm interested to know if there is a considerable performance difference between the two.

I'm upgrading in a few months, and I won't be considering going anything less than i7.

Kimlo

International Captain
Brisbane
The difference is **** all for anything other than serious video editing or modelling type work. In normal usage and gaming, I reckon you'd see no tangible difference.

For the sake of $150 in a high end build I'd go an i7, but I'd much rather go an i5 and get a next tier graphics card or more storage SSD, or a better motherboard, or... You get the point.

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
Spend the $$$ on a Noctua cooler and clock the **** out of an i5....that's what my plan was but I haven't needed to yet. I did hit 4.8ghz, stable though.

GCBRONCO

State of Origin Captain
Gold Coast
My new pc and monitor arrived yesterday, setup all up last night but didn't have much time to really take advantage of it, just played GTA V and it was silky smooth, should be considering what I paid lol :)

Intel Core i7 5930K
Gigabyte GA-X99-SOC-CHAMPION Motherboard
Gigabyte GeForce GTX TITAN X, 12GB
Kingston 16GB (4x4GB) 2666MHz DDR4
2 x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD in raid
Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Black ATX Case
Cooler Master V Series 850 Watt Power Supply
ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 144hz G-Sync 27inch monitor

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
My new pc and monitor arrived yesterday, setup all up last night but didn't have much time to really take advantage of it, just played GTA V and it was silky smooth, should be considering what I paid lol :)

Intel Core i7 5930K
Seagate Barracuda 2TB

vertigo

NRL Captain
I see you got the $4500 highest end build from Scorptec, the Titan X alone is more than what my last build cost :laugh:

Mosyzlak

QCup Player
Sydney

Intel Core i7 5930K
Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Well makes my build look like a lemon! Did you have to go through a particular supplier for the Witcher coupon? I haven't got any Witcher promo coupon inside the box. Too busy to contact Nvidia just yet

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter