New South Wales 2014 Line-Ups

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
If you were a selector, which NSW team would have the best chance of winning?

My take...

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Michael Jennings
4. Josh Morris
5. Brett Morris
6. Jarrod Mullen
7. Todd Carney
8. Andrew Fifita
9. Robbie Farah
10. James Tamou
11. Greg Bird
12. Luke Lewis
13. Paul Gallen

14. Tim Grant
15. Trent Merrin
16. Boyd Cordner
17. Anthony Watmough

I honestly wouldn't be against them throwing a back onto the bench to change things up if that backline doesn't work out - they have enough forwards to make it happen, but won't go out on a limb and name anyone.

It'll be interesting to see how Will Hopoate gets back into the grind of top football. You would have to think he'd be a chance if he goes OK.

Jorge Taufua and especially Josh Morris shouldn't be in a best NSW side IMO.
I still think Taufua is a poor version of Uate, only going through a purple patch and playing for a much better side.

Josh Morris is like Hoffman, only with even less awareness. He's fast, but since he'll never draw and pass or just pass quickly, he'll be shut down as easily as always.

Last edited:
I don't really see the similarities in Uate and Taufua at all other than they can both take a first hit up if need be. Otherwise, Taufua basically has Uate in all other departments and has been very good for a few years now.

Josh Morris like McQueen was basically my default option, I haven't paid too much thought yet on who I'd bring in.

I'm curious, who would your alternatives be?

I don't really see the similarities in Uate and Taufua at all other than they can both take a first hit up if need be. Otherwise, Taufua basically has Uate in all other departments and has been very good for a few years now.

Josh Morris like McQueen was basically my default option, I haven't paid too much thought yet on who I'd bring in.

I'm curious, who would your alternatives be?

It's hard to say. A couple of options I'd prefer if I was a NSW fan would be

1. Stewart / 4 Hayne / 5 Gordon
1. Hayne / 3. Idris / 5 Gordon/Stewart

I think Idris has improved dramatically in recent times. Gordon should be there if he's fit, he's their best winger IMO. Ferguson would obviously be there if he's allowed to play. Wighton could be a chance if he guns it. Maybe even Jorris on the wing? He won't be killing attacking plays there, but his defence might be suspect.

The halves are the key. I thought the Blues looked more dangerous in 2012 with Carney. I was shocked they didn't pick him again this year (I can't remember if he was injured or not). Maloney and Pearce were easily contained - really hope Laurie perseveres with them next year.

Agreed. I actually thought Carney was pretty poor in 2012, he looked like he got stage fright, but he's still a far better option than anyone else they have. Mullen is the 2nd best half in NSW, so he should be there too.

I do hope they go with Pearce and Maloney again though. How many games has Pearce now played? Like 12? I believe it's the same number as the games he was shit in.

Who cares, its NSW. :lalala:

1. Michael Gordon
2. Nathan Merrit
3. Joel Reddy
4. Ryan Morgan
5. Matt Utai
6. Brad Fittler
7. Peter Wallace
8. Dan Hunt
9. Kurt Gidley
10. George Rose (C)
11. Tony Williams
12. Corey Paterson
13. Jaime Soward

Tedesco must be getting close to that fullback spot with Stewart injured and hayne being considered at centre now. Could be a good team

1. Tedesco
2. Morris
3. Hayne
4. Jennings
5. Mansour
6. Maloney
7. Pearce
8. Fifita
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Bird
12. Cordner
13. Gallen

14. Merrin
15. Watmough
16. Sims
17. Sutton / J Reynolds

Really strong team. I really hope they dont pick Mansour this year. I think he would really trouble us

That's a pretty good team, unfortunately. Sutton on the bench adds a lot more value than Reynolds.

the NSW selectors always do one monumental selection gaff I wonder what position it will be this year.

How many games in a row has Pearce completely failed in? It's the same amount as the total games he has played.

That's a pretty good team, unfortunately. Sutton on the bench adds a lot more value than Reynolds.

the NSW selectors always do one monumental selection gaff I wonder what position it will be this year.
The coach... :laugh:

I rate young Tedesco & Mansour but believe they're still a season or so off from really challenging for a position. Josh in particular still has a couple of bone-head and selfish plays in him, stuff that he may get out of his system by playing with a well drilled side. I'd stick with Taufua who is due back next week.

I still believe the side I named is the ideal NSW side, the question is, will they even make it onto the field. Unfortunately, it appears Mullen will only get one game under his belt heading into Game 1, so you'd almost have to write him off straight away and stick with Maloney. I don't think Maloney/Carney is ideal but the alternatives aren't there. I can see the Blues arguing for Pearce's inclusion on the back of a premiership victory but I don't think he's a changed player - he still needs a series or so away before consideration.

1. Dugan
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. J.Morris
5. B.Morris
6. Maloney
7. Pearce
8. Fifita
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Cordner
12. Bird
13. Gallen

14. Grant
15. Lewis
16. Merrin
17. Watmough

Tedesco must be getting close to that fullback spot with Stewart injured and hayne being considered at centre now. Could be a good team

1. Tedesco
2. Morris
3. Hayne
4. Jennings
5. Mansour
6. Maloney
7. Pearce
8. Fifita
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Bird
12. Cordner
13. Gallen

14. Merrin
15. Watmough
16. Sims
17. Sutton / J Reynolds

Really strong team. I really hope they dont pick Mansour this year. I think he would really trouble us

Way too early for tedesco yet, the kid has only just started to string some games together

1. Tedesco
2. Morris
3. Hayne
4. Jennings
5. Mansour
6. Maloney
7. Pearce
8. Fifita
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Bird
12. Cordner
13. Gallen

14. Merrin
15. Watmough
16. Sims
17. Sutton / J Reynolds

What I always find amusing with NSW team selection banter is that they are so desperate, the moment some young kid strings a couple good games together (ie Tedesco) he is being touted as the next superstar to come out of the southern state.

I'm surprised Luke Brooks hasn't gotten a mention ......:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Mr Fourex
  • Financeguy
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Organix
  • LittleDavey
  • Fatboy
  • Brocko
  • winslow_wong
  • Morkel
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Harry Sack
  • Johnny92
  • BroncoFan94
  • broncos4life
  • Nerd
  • Shane Tronc
  • Browny
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.