ANNOUNCEMENT News: the carnival is over

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
No more peeks behind the paywall from now on, folks. Not from me. Not from anyone.

News LTD has dropped a DMCA notice on us, and we'll be complying. BHQ has deleted all my news postings from the past year or so. If you spot anything that's slipped through, please report it.

I'd also like to take the opportunity to apologize to Mr Rupert Murdoch, the majority owner of both News LTD and the Brisbane Broncos for "any inconvenience."

Thanks for understanding,

McHunt

Last edited:
No more peeks behind the paywall from now on, folks. Not from me. Not from anyone.

News LTD has dropped a DMCA notice on us, and we'll be complying. BHQ has deleted all my news postings from the past year or so. If you spot anything that's slipped through, please report it.

I'd also like to take the opportunity to apologize to Mr Rupert Murdoch, the majority owner of both News LTD and the Brisbane Broncos for "any inconvenience."

Thanks for understanding,

McHunt
Oh ffs.

:Eyeroll:

Are we allowed to call Mr Murdoch a ****?
[automerge]1575074641[/automerge]
If anyone would like the articles private messaged to them you can hit me up.
If **** stands for hugely rich and successful businessman with lots of defamation lawyers, then yes.

One of the journos that gets his scoops from here must have dobbed.
I would be certain of that. It probably didn't help that every thread was littered with graituitous insults directed towards the author.

Not much point complaining. To be honest, I'm surprised they didn't hit us sooner.

Last edited:
This. I was really surprised, reposting has always been a breach from what I understood.

whats the difference between this and having a communal newspaper at work in the lunchroom? One person has paid but 100 can read it for free? The only difference is the ads and the rest of the junk in the paper that people have ‘read’ along the way.

I would be certain of that. It probably didn't help that every thread was littered with graituitous insults directed towards the author.

Not much point complaining. To be honest, I'm surprised they didn't hit us sooner.

there’s an easy way to avoid that: don’t be a shit journo

So are we fine to still post from non News LTD sites?

Last edited:
Are we allowed to call Mr Murdoch a ****?
[automerge]1575074641[/automerge]
If anyone would like the articles private messaged to them you can hit me up.
I'll kiss Bennett's arse to get them bud [emoji28]

It's a shame, but I can't say I don't agree with what they have said. The term "Fair Use" isn't defined very well. The way I looked at it was "Website X does it this way, they have legal teams so would be compliant, we will make sure we copy the way they post them"

It's telling that a tiny site like ours gets hit, but big ones with money don't. But, if we were falling outside of fair use, then their word of blatant is acceptable.

Instead of bagging out old Pete Badel, feel for him. He's just gone from 100s of peopole reading his dud articles, to the 4 people who pay to get through the pay wall.

So much click bait will go unclicked... what a shame for poor old Petey B.

So can we just post the title of the article as new threads each time and assume it's just "bitch, moan, blah, blah, blah... somebody think of the children" Author Peter Badel

and we'll take it from there???

whats the difference between this and having a communal newspaper at work in the lunchroom? One person has paid but 100 can read it for free? The only difference is the ads and the rest of the junk in the paper that people have ‘read’ along the way.
It's tough times in the newspaper game. The Courier Mail primarily generates revenue from three sources: subscriptions; advertisers; and sponsored content, which often masquerades as news (like the travel section). Unless you're extra-ordinarily techno-illiterate you will be blocking ads, so paying for content is becoming increasingly important.

News on the Broncos is a special case. There's a vested interest there from the parent company. The brand is run like an ongoing soap opera, played out across all media, but most of all, in the Courier Mail.

There's a case to be made that making Broncos content free is beneficial for their brand and possibly a gateway drug to making you want to pay to read more stories in the newspaper proper.

It's hard to say whether providing Broncos' news free on the site, and through other sites, would be net profitable for News LTD and even the Courier Mail, but it's a discussion worth having.

Last edited:
I assume someone who has read the article can still paraphrase it for the rest of us. They just can’t put the exact article up. It would even be fair use to include some quotes because there is nothing wrong with discussing the news and using quotes for context as long as the bulk of the article isn’t cut and pasted.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Bish
  • Harry Sack
  • Fatboy
  • Foordy
  • Mister Wright
  • Robboi_321
  • Broncosgirl
  • broncos4life
  • jd87
  • Jedhead
  • Gaz
  • GCBRONCO
  • Jazza
  • Fitzy
  • sooticus
  • Morkel
  • Griffo
  • Sproj
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.