RUMOUR Newscorp may be going bust

I’d hardly call the Australian a bastion of objectivity either.
Agreed, but it's the most balanced we have.

Aside from the print media, the bigger insidious behaviour is making Sky News a FTA channel in regional areas. It’s radicalised my grandparents due to them losing their faculties a bit, and no doubt doing the same in other areas to try and consolidate Liberal or National power at least at a federal level, using the grey/dumb vote.

On topic, **** NewsCorp and I do hope they die and the club becomes a bit ‘cleaner’. It would be interesting to see the consequences of their departure.
Are they out in the street chanting and smashing shop windows?

I appreciate what you're saying, but the reality is that a significant portion of the population, particularly the older and richer (and therefor more powerful) part of the population, still DO get their news from the mainstream media and are definitely losing, and it's honestly becoming an ever increasing cancer on our society.

News is a properly evil and fucked up organisation and the World really would be better off without them, only I'm sure someone else would come along and take their place and probably be just as awful an affliction on society.

We want more media players, rather than fewer. The notion everyone has to be on the same page or there will be blood is the cancer.

Agreed, but it's the most balanced we have.

Are they out in the street chanting and smashing shop windows?

We want more media players, rather than fewer. The notion everyone has to be on the same page or there will be blood is the cancer.
Lol, The Australian balanced? I've heard it all now. They may as well be a marketing arm of the LNP

Lol, The Australian balanced? I've heard it all now. They may as well be a marketing arm of the LNP
I didn't say it was balanced, but it finds room for praise and criticism across the political spectrum. That's more than you could say about the Guardian or the Sydney Morning Herald.

You might wanna take this stuff over to Religion & Politics guys. This thread is about Newscorp and its connection to the Broncos, not climate change and media diversity.

I didn't say it was balanced, but it finds room for praise and criticism across the political spectrum. That's more than you could say about the Guardian or the Sydney Morning Herald.

Wasn't it an ex Australian editor that Turnbull took to task on Q&A? That segment alone is enough to show that The Australian and it's people are nothing more than Murdoch lackies. Hell, they even had one of their ex' writing an opinion piece on Fairfax a couple of weeks back, talking about how Rudd's petition is crap.

They are just as scummy as the rest of them, they just think they have some great reputation because their name has the country in it.

Wasn't it an ex Australian editor that Turnbull took to task on Q&A? That segment alone is enough to show that The Australian and it's people are nothing more than Murdoch lackies. Hell, they even had one of their ex' writing an opinion piece on Fairfax a couple of weeks back, talking about how Rudd's petition is crap.

They are just as scummy as the rest of them, they just think they have some great reputation because their name has the country in it.
They're also having a massive sook about Rudd's petition for a royal commission themselves. They totally didn't hire a "security expert" to put fake names into the petition, then upon hearing of these fake names purely through mayhap they've pushed the line that the perfidious Rudd must be investigated for this and by no means should anyone anywhere consider looking into the stranglehold News has on politics in this country.

They're also having a massive sook about Rudd's petition for a royal commission themselves. They totally didn't hire a "security expert" to put fake names into the petition, then upon hearing of these fake names purely through mayhap they've pushed the line that the perfidious Rudd must be investigated for this and by no means should anyone anywhere consider looking into the stranglehold News has on politics in this country.

They will get their way though. Both the big parties are a bunch of pussies, and have absolutely no desire to fight the "Don't mess with out media" fight.

Not only that, he’ll likely contribute a fortune of money as well.
Very clever - I’m glad we’re revisiting these 🤣

As @theshed said, just enough time has passed for them to be funny again.

Last edited:
Perfidious...dafuq????? [emoji1787]
Pernicious?

Yeah yeah, I know it's a good choice and totally suitable and I thought it refreshing and just plain bloody wonderful!![emoji846]

They will get their way though. Both the big parties are a bunch of pussies, and have absolutely no desire to fight the "Don't mess with out media" fight.

It's a shame, because I'm pretty sure there would be overwhelming public support for any PM who publicly came out and told Murdoch to go to hell. Obviously the Lib voters wouldn't, or at the very least it would split their base.

It's a shame, because I'm pretty sure there would be overwhelming public support for any PM who publicly came out and told Murdoch to go to hell. Obviously the Lib voters wouldn't, or at the very least it would split their base.

The issue is fighting the newspapers that the majority read and trust. They won't tell their readers to get behind it.

I don't put any of the Australian media on a pedestal. If you're interested in analyzing media bias, Ground News does a good job of revealing "blind spots" though it's US-centric.

About the only masthead that's come through the Trump years with its integrity still intact is the Wall Street Journal. FWIW, it's in the Murdoch stable.

Last edited:
How exactly would weakening or even disbanding the organisation that has a monopoly on around 70% of the nations newspapers not create more media players and competition?

The issue is fighting the newspapers that the majority read and trust. They won't tell their readers to get behind it.
Exactly. People seem to genuinely not understand how scary it is that Boomers, who grew up in an era where Newspapers and mainstream media were considered largely more trustworthy and even infallible than they are today, are in charge of the country and the world at large and still have largely not waivered in their trust of these traditional news sources.

I heard that Murdoch doesn't really care that his media holdings aren't profitable, he is more instrested in the political implications thats why he was happy to sell off 21st century fox studios which was his most profitable business to disney so he could maintain the unprofitable media empire.

When you consider that fairfax is run by Peter Costello the Media in this country is like 90% Tilted in one direction.

How exactly would weakening or even disbanding the organisation that has a monopoly on around 70% of the nations newspapers not create more media players and competition?
Newspapers are a business, not a service. They rely on creating drama and keeping you hooked. The online model, which has almost completely supplanted paper, has instant metrics so operators can tune their headlines and narratives to maximise profit. If you don't do that you go bust.

You don't have to read Murdoch papers if they trigger you. This isn't Cuba. But you'll get **** all rugby league drama if you rely on Fairfax.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Skathen
  • BRC088
  • Bucking Beads
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fatboy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Big Del
  • HarryAllan7
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.