Nines / Trial Games

That's the incident I was referring to. A post was claiming that they'd never seen anybody here wish ill of Darius when in fact it was common and we saw it not once but twice in a promotional game no less.

There was no salary cap for the 9’s. All girls were free agents and anyone could sign anyone for the weekend.
Ye I remember, I misrepresented what point I wanted to get across. The nrl let the dragons buy their way to a premiership.

Not terribly upset at our Nines performance.

Just glad we didn't get any major injuries.

There was no salary cap for the 9’s. All girls were free agents and anyone could sign anyone for the weekend.

Was the rep player weighted points cap still applied? And are they going to continue with that for this year?

While I'm a bit disappointed about the Nines results, I don't think it's the end of the world either. It's a showcase of no consequence to the season proper. Sure it would have been nice to do a bit better, but realistically the boys were probably not putting in 1000%. And it's such a short game, with 9min halves, it's so easy for a game to just get away from a team...especially when a lot of our forwards have big motors and where guys like Fifi and Haas legitimately shine are at the back end of sections of the game where fatigue is playing a real factor...they don't have that opportunity in the Nines.

There was a lot of good to come out of it in my view - Dearden looking the goods, Milf looking fitter, Kotoni strong again, etc - so I'm going to take that for now. Looking forward to the rest of the trial games to see what the squad can start to put together for 80 minutes in a 14-man game.

lol@ everyone hating on Croft 'for not doing much'

lads, its the f*cking 9s. THE NINES. Judge him on a full 80 minute season.

I swear some people are dumb as dog shit sometimes...
80 minute season? crikey, are you only giving him one game?

Hang on a second ... When did it become a bad thing for our players to play well

Yeah this. I have been a big pusher that Macca’s time at starting is over as well as Boyd but that is only because they have shown they can’t do it anymore. If they can somehow become the players we need this would be a brilliant outcome.

Im sure there are those here who are terrified at the prospect of darius and macca lining up in the first 13 for round 1. They believe our future superstars are having their careers stagnated by their mere presence in the 17, let alone the 13.
I would say that nobody deserves a free ride on potential. All our 17 for round 1 need to be there for the right reasons. If those two earn their spots, its a good thing. It means we won't have a "might-have-been" we are continuously waiting to arrive.
However, it is early days and both those players and the others competing for a spot in the 17 have a long way to go to even think they might have a chance. The capra's and the 9's are a stepping stone but the next two preseason trials should count for more, as does the training they apply themselves to every day.
The reason Macca and boyd played well might have a lot to do with approaching their fitness professionally and if nothing else, it will demonstrate to a few younger players how important it is to hit the ground running hard, during the preseason.

Its pretty embarrassing that one of the sporting powerhouses of Australia can’t do a bit better than one and a half minutes of silent “highlights”.

Last edited:
Ye I remember, I misrepresented what point I wanted to get across. The nrl let the dragons buy their way to a premiership.

They had three new players from the GF. Cowan who didn’t play, Bremmer coming back from maternity leave so not even a new player and Kelly.

Kelly from the Roosters was their big purchase for two days and anyone could have signed her from the Roosters.

Kelly on two thirds of nothing probably doesn’t qualify as buying a comp in my book.

Was the rep player weighted points cap still applied? And are they going to continue with that for this year?

Hasn’t been decided yet, they’re all free agents again today so recruitment will be on. QRLW first trial game was yesterday before Broncos game in Rocky.

The comp has massive turn over- 40% last year so It’s hard to manage contracts and have a system.

Hopefully the QRLW and centrally contracted 20 keep filling the void.

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • Foordy
  • Mustafur
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • Matheos
  • Bish
  • bb_gun
  • Culhwch
  • BruiserMk1
  • Organix
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Financeguy
  • Galah
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Strop
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.