Nines / Trial Games

Hang on a second ... When did it become a bad thing for our players to play well

The same time it became an issue that people forget the 20+ previous shit games, and only look at a trial to push for their constant selection again.

The same time it became an issue that people forget the 20+ previous shit games, and only look at a trial to push for their constant selection again.
Theres 3 trial games and the nines'. If we can't figure our who is playing well enough to play first grade then it isn't the problems of players' form but the blokes who pick them.
Macca 2 years ago was good enough for origin. Boyd a few years ago was playing for Australia. If they are as old and decrepit as is being made out, then it shouldn't be too hard for the up and coming players to prove themselves better players.
If form is seasonal and players coping with injury, out of position, poor defensive partners, mental issues etc. has an impact on their performances, then a preseason should prove that. Either way, I don't see the problem.
We won't pick players on what they might have been but on what they can do. If Macca and boyd's performances are not good enough, then picking someone, just because they are young and might someday be better is like going to the roulette and throwing it all on the 20, because it hasn't come up and is due.
They need to show they are better. We have plenty of potental. If they show they can be better, they will be picked, but they have to show it. Macca and boyd weren't the only players having a shocker last year and there were a lot of young players showing some major issues, either defensively or with reading the game. It just got glossed over because you can also see potential if they get it right. But they have to get it right!
Being young and not putting in because you're not conditioned enough won't cut it round 1. Nor will coming back from injury, mental hangups, playing out of position etc. The excuses are gone. The players know what they need to do and where they will be playing if they are good enough, but they have to be good enough, because we don't pick on what you might do or might have done, but what you are going to do.

Bingo !!
Lest we forget......

They had three new players from the GF. Cowan who didn’t play, Bremmer coming back from maternity leave so not even a new player and Kelly.

Kelly from the Roosters was their big purchase for two days and anyone could have signed her from the Roosters.

Kelly on two thirds of nothing probably doesn’t qualify as buying a comp in my book.
Maddie Studdon (Sydney Roosters), Brittany Breayley (Brisbane Broncos), Teuila Fotu-Moala (Brisbane Broncos), Maitua Feterika (Brisbane Broncos), Kimiora Nati (Brisbane Broncos), Ngatokotoru Arakua (Brisbane Broncos) Botille Vette-Welsh (Sydney Roosters), Sarah Togatuki (Sydney Roosters), Stephanie Mooka, Najvada George, Tiana Penitani, Alexandrea Kiriwi, Shaylee Bent, Takilele Katoa

That's a list of the dragons 2019 signings..... I'll just leave that there.... There is no doubt they are trying to buy the comp and the nrl are happy to help via strong refereeing performances.

Maddie Studdon (Sydney Roosters), Brittany Breayley (Brisbane Broncos), Teuila Fotu-Moala (Brisbane Broncos), Maitua Feterika (Brisbane Broncos), Kimiora Nati (Brisbane Broncos), Ngatokotoru Arakua (Brisbane Broncos) Botille Vette-Welsh (Sydney Roosters), Sarah Togatuki (Sydney Roosters), Stephanie Mooka, Najvada George, Tiana Penitani, Alexandrea Kiriwi, Shaylee Bent, Takilele Katoa

That's a list of the dragons 2019 signings..... I'll just leave that there.... There is no doubt they are trying to buy the comp and the nrl are happy to help via strong refereeing performances.

if we wanted to we could have done the exact same thing ... in fact for the 2019 NRLW season we signed one of the Dragons players from the previous year.

we won the GF in 2019 30-6 against the Dragons ... clearly losing those players to the Dragons after the 2018 GF win didn't hurt us in the slightest

Last edited:
Just saw a replay of that storm try off our drop out. Isaako still has the worst upper body strength for someone who looks so muscular. Surely he’s not our fullback?

if we wanted to we could have done the exact same thing ... in fact for the 2019 NRLW season we signed one of the Dragons players from the previous year.

we won the GF in 2019 30-6 against the Dragons ... clearly losing those players to the Dragons after the 2018 GF win didn't hurt us in the slightest

To be fair Annette is from the Sunny Coast. I know the girls that left got swayed by ‘better treatment’. Make of that what you will

ps it’s money

You said their nines side, now you're going back years.

NRLW sides don't have the budget or the recourses to be souring the world finding players like the NRL do and no pathway to bring them through anyway.

No NRLW side can claim to have developed anyone. Do a similar list of the Broncos- Ali was poached from Ipswich and already a Jillaroo when she was bought. Just buy the Australian half and best player in her 20's- that's not development either.

All the Broncos play for other clubs.

The competition has a massive turn over because of work and unable to take a month off essentially unpaid and the level beneath it is small and not complete yet, clubs have no choice but to recruit from NRLW teams and players.

Hopefully the QRLW bridges this gap a bit and it's not club football and then stepping up to NRLW. It should expose more girls to high level football and make the pool bigger.

Dragons like every club are playing with what is in front of them which at this stage if build a team for a month from the pool of 70 players.

To be fair Annette is from the Sunny Coast. I know the girls that left got swayed by ‘better treatment’. Make of that what you will

ps it’s money

There was internal things at the end of 18 at the Broncos that the Dragons were able to capitalise on but that’s the Broncos doing.

Thats what i was thinking.

So if they play well, its because they should anyway and get no credit for it, but if they play poorly they get slated. They cant win!
So we should just ignore the significance of context?

The Capras finished the 2019 season dead-last with a record of 1-1-21 at -502. So they’re the Titans of the QRL, but worse.

Mike Tyson could barely hit the side of a barn toward the end of his career, but I bet he’d still belt some part-time amateur boxer who is the equivalent of the Capras in the boxing world.

Boy I hope for Mike’s sake you’re not advocating we get him in there with Deontay Wilder, Tyson Fury or Anthony Joshua.

So we should just ignore the significance of context?

The Capras finished the 2019 season dead-last with a record of 1-1-21 at -502. So they’re the Titans of the QRL, but worse.

Mike Tyson could barely hit the side of a barn toward the end of his career, but I bet he’d still belt some part-time amateur boxer who is the equivalent of the Capras in the boxing world.

Boy I hope for Mike’s sake you’re not advocating we get him in there with Deontay Wilder, Tyson Fury or Anthony Joshua.

Mate, its absolute bullshit the way people carry on over those two in a trial game. They cant win. Criticised if they do whats expected, criticised for being rubbish. Its actually laughable. They cant do any more really than they did, and they still get people bagging them. The context is you can only play whats in front of you. They did, and they played well enough. If they dont keep doing it, critisice them, but at least give them their dues if they actually do the job.

Mate, its absolute bullshit the way people carry on over those two in a trial game. They cant win. Criticised if they do whats expected, criticised for being rubbish. Its actually laughable. They cant do any more really than they did, and they still get people bagging them. The context is you can only play whats in front of you. They did, and they played well enough. If they dont keep doing it, critisice them, but at least give them their dues if they actually do the job.
I’m not about to criticise them for their performance against the Capras, quite simply because I didn’t see it.

But conversely, even if they looked like absolute world beaters, I wouldn’t be waxing lyrical about it either.

Why?

Because it’s their job, as the 2 most experienced players in our squad, to play solid, consistent football and to be in the best few players most weeks.

So until they’re doing at the least their job, but preferably exceeding it, I think it’s only fair people still hold them to the standard we’ve all become accustomed to over the past 2-3 seasons. After all, one (reportedly at least) good performance against the worst side in the QRL doesn’t erase 3 years of, for the most part anyway, mediocrity in the NRL.

Its pretty embarrassing that one of the sporting powerhouses of Australia can’t do a bit better than one and a half minutes of silent “highlights”.
This pisses me off on another level altogether. they have a camera there filming the whole game. Why not just stream it, or release it in its entirety?

ps it’s money

they may have gotten better offers the point i was making is that there was nothing stopping us offering them those deals... we just choose not to

they may have gotten better offers the point i was making is that there was nothing stopping us offering them those deals... we just choose not to

Exactly because we aren't talking we offered her 500k but Tigers offered 800k and we can't afford that- we are talking we are giving you 10k and Dragons offered 15k.

Then the poor girl has to weigh up do I move for a month for 5k, what about work etc? It's very hard for some of these girls.

The best AFLW girls earn 29k the NRLW girls are no where near that.

Last edited:

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • BroncosAlways
  • KateBroncos1812
  • cento
  • Justwin
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Astro
  • Big Del
  • Mustafur
  • ChewThePhatt
  • thenry
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • Harry Sack
  • Redux
  • Browny
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Broncorob
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.