Nines / Trial Games

Exactly because we aren't talking we offered her 500k but Tigers offered 800k and we can't afford that- we are talking we are giving you 10k and Dragons offered 15k.

Then the poor girl has to weigh up do I move for a month for 5k, what about work etc? It's very hard for some of these girls.

The best AFLW girls earn 29k the NRLW girls are no where near that.
So they paid more for players from other teams? Geez you're tiresome to have a discussion with sometimes. That's exactly the definition of buying a bloody premiership. I don't care if it's a tiny bit more, or if it was tough for the girls, that's all irrelevant to the fact they the dragons "sourced their players from other clubs. 6 players in one year from the premiers. They have 3/4 of the most well known players in the nrl in their club (2 of which have brought from other teams) now despite the broncos winning the last 2 premierships.
[automerge]1581839777[/automerge]
I don't think it's a matter of money, rather it's the introduction of an arbitrary points system that only negatively affected one club.
There's too much common sense in this comment for BHQ!

Last edited:
So they paid more for players from other teams? Geez you're tiresome to have a discussion with sometimes. That's exactly the definition of buying a bloody premiership. I don't care if it's a tiny bit more, or if it was tough for the girls, that's all irrelevant to the fact they the dragons "sourced their players from other clubs. 6 players in one year from the premiers. They have 3/4 of the most well known players in the nrl in their club (2 of which have brought from other teams) now despite the broncos winning the last 2 premierships.

the thing is that your acting like they are the only ones to be able to do it ... news flash, they're not ...

besides you can't buy a premiership until you actually win won ... and the only team to win a premiership is us

the thing is that your acting like they are the only ones to be able to do it ... news flash, they're not ...

besides you can't buy a premiership until you actually win won ... and the only team to win a premiership is us

Win, won...wan? Wun? Wen? I'm so confused!!

I'm acting like their the only ones who can do it... Please, I can't wait to hear this. When did I mention anything like that? How am I acting like that? Are you inside my mind? Hahaha

I'm not pissed off at the dragons, I said, from the very start, it's the nrl I'm pissed off at. These lax salary caps were designed to punish one club. We are the only qld club yet qld players origin players count the same as nsw origin players? We had more rep players because we played well and won the first year, then they decide to use a rep player point system salary cap? Please, it was as blatant as those 3 first penalties yesterday. The nrl thinks its bad if the broncos kept dominating, fact is they will probably lose more fans then they gain with these tactics. The only refreshing thing about the nrlw was that the refs stayed out of it and the salary cap wasn't as much of an issue. Now both of those things have been taken away why would I, and many others, watch a competition that isnt a great standard yet?

Please, it was as blatant as those 3 first penalties yesterday.

I didn't think we'd ever see a repeat of Gillett-Cummins again, then we saw a variation of it inside a minute of the game.

In fairness to the referees, they didn't have a choice on that third penalty, Elliston had a brain fart on the kick-off.

[automerge]1581839777[/automerge]

It would be less tiresome I think if you knew anything about the topic.

Ignoring again every Broncos comes from another club I see; and leaving the fact that the Broncos also added Brander and Grey two international forwards and a rugby international and SOO forward Boyle to their list for 2019 and a international Olympic gold medallist Turner- all big signings.

The pay of the girls is very relevant because paying someone less than a 15 year old earns at Maccas in a year is hardly buying a premiership is it? We aren't dealing with four players here on 1 million each. They're basement buys- it is the opposite of buying success.

Again you ignore that the Dragons weren't the only club to be able to buy players as you wrongly claim.

I'm acting like their the only ones who can do it... Please, I can't wait to hear this. When did I mention anything like that? How am I acting like that? Are you inside my mind? Hahaha

You claimed the Dragons had special cap rules in place just for them and have banged on about their side ignoring that it's an free market and the Broncos could have paid anyone anything and signed anyone they didn't and made their own recruitment calls.
[automerge]1581842906[/automerge]
I don't think it's a matter of money, rather it's the introduction of an arbitrary points system that only negatively affected one club.

I still don't mind the points, it's a way to make clubs recruit and be smart. Spreading the talent is smart for this comp. I'd rather the points than money cap. It didn't hurt the Broncos they were smart and went outside league and still won.

More girls now playing league, it's done it's job.

Last edited:
I’m not about to criticise them for their performance against the Capras, quite simply because I didn’t see it.

But conversely, even if they looked like absolute world beaters, I wouldn’t be waxing lyrical about it either.

Why?

Because it’s their job, as the 2 most experienced players in our squad, to play solid, consistent football and to be in the best few players most weeks.

So until they’re doing at the least their job, but preferably exceeding it, I think it’s only fair people still hold them to the standard we’ve all become accustomed to over the past 2-3 seasons. After all, one (reportedly at least) good performance against the worst side in the QRL doesn’t erase 3 years of, for the most part anyway, mediocrity in the NRL.

I wouldnt be waxing lyrical about their performances either, but i wouldnt criticise them at the same time. People cant have it both ways and find a way to bag them when there is actually no reason. Nobody has to forget about their poor displays in the past, but how long are people going to hold onto that this year? If Macca and Boyd play decently enough this year, but then have one poor game, i bet they get crucified compared to others.

My opinion has always been judge them on the game they have just played. IF they keep playing badly and keep getting picked, thats the coaches fault really. No point people venting their spleens at the players sometimes if a coach can just drop them, and there would be no reason at all he couldnt.

It would be less tiresome I think if you knew anything about the topic.

Ignoring again every Broncos comes from another club I see; and leaving the fact that the Broncos also added Brander and Grey two international forwards and a rugby international and SOO forward Boyle to their list for 2019 and a international Olympic gold medallist Turner- all big signings.

The pay of the girls is very relevant because paying someone less than a 15 year old earns at Maccas in a year is hardly buying a premiership is it? We aren't dealing with four players here on 1 million each. They're basement buys- it is the opposite of buying success.

Again you ignore that the Dragons weren't the only club to be able to buy players as you wrongly claim.
Where did I claim the dragons were the only side who could buy players?

Please quote it for me so I can see. Thanks.

You do this all the time. I think you think you are voice of reason, truth is, in every debate I've had with you you make claims that I've said something that I haven't said. You've just assumed what I'm thinking. Wrongly....

Again, it isn't relevant. If I buy an apple I've still bloody bought it haven't I? 2 cents more is still more. Therefore, as the dragons have PAID more they have BOUGHT a premiership.

I think you think you're some sort of moral compass for decisions the NRL make sometimes. I'm not pissed off at the dragons, although I think they have taken the easy way out and it won't lead to an improvement in comp standards. I'm pissed off at the nrl.
Honest question, and I don't mind either way, but do you support the broncos? Because whenever it's even been suggested that they have been wronged you seem to think it's your role to rubbish the suggestion and defend the nrl, storm (in particular), any other club except for the broncos.

it's done it's job.
[/QUOTE]
You should work for the NRL HAHAHA....
The salary cap was originally designed to stop clubs from sending themselves broke!!!! It was not designed to pull clubs back to the pack. Clubs should strive to improve to beat the best from the year before. Not encouraged to scavenge off each other...

You claimed the Dragons had special cap rules in place just for them and have banged on about their side ignoring that it's an free market and the Broncos could have paid anyone anything and signed anyone they didn't and made their own recruitment calls.
[automerge]1581842906[/automerge]

I still don't mind the points, it's a way to make clubs recruit and be smart. Spreading the talent is smart for this comp. I'd rather the points than money cap. It didn't hurt the Broncos they were smart and went outside league and still won.

More girls now playing league, it's done it's job.

I agree it’s good for grassroots growth, but there’ll come a point that fans will want stable multi-year contracts systems and caps. (Obviously the season will need to be extended and/or teams to be increased).

Because if you keep it as a free-for-all, while the points cap keep things ‘fair’, teams will continue to be a revolving door and a couple of lean seasons so early could spell the end for one of them.

Also, while there are a lot of established stars that have been signed by all clubs, if too many get poached, because of the small number of elite players, there’s not as high a quality production line to replace them, even with only 4 teams.

If the Roosters for example don’t make some astute signings and do lose Kelly, their team is going to be rather ordinary. Not really fair under the design of the points cap. Also you have players that may miss warranted rep selection, and are therefore more easily attained under the points cap, potentially convenient for a certain club. Now that does require a fair amount of conspiracy thinking, but honestly wouldn’t surprise me in this game.

Sure I’m worried about losing some of our girls (yes ours), and while we overcame what was at the time a massive loss of almost our entire forward pack, we got a bit lucky replacing the second-rowers with players we arguably would’ve had all along, and even Boyle being up here for the Reds girls. That sort of luck will run out at some point.

I’m not saying it’s a simple solution, particularly as the money just isn’t there (to that degree I wasn’t aware), but something needs to be put in place relatively soon to avoid the NSW Origin side Dragons or Roosters signing an entire premiership squad inside a year or two.

Last edited:
9. JAKE TURPIN
Fired the first shot in the battle with Andrew McCullough for the No. 9 jumper with a very good tournament. Trials will be a better barometer but Turpin did everything right at the Nines. Scored Brisbane’s opening try with a 40-metre dash and was typically hungry in defence. Showed good speed out of dummy half. The No. 9 jumper is his to lose.
RATING: 8

How did Badel miss his shot on Tino? It won Brisbane the second game.

I wouldnt be waxing lyrical about their performances either, but i wouldnt criticise them at the same time. People cant have it both ways and find a way to bag them when there is actually no reason. Nobody has to forget about their poor displays in the past, but how long are people going to hold onto that this year? If Macca and Boyd play decently enough this year, but then have one poor game, i bet they get crucified compared to others.

My opinion has always been judge them on the game they have just played. IF they keep playing badly and keep getting picked, thats the coaches fault really. No point people venting their spleens at the players sometimes if a coach can just drop them, and there would be no reason at all he couldnt.
My phone is playing up, so I can’t bold your question.

But to answer it, personally, given how poor they’ve been for such an extended time, I think they need to have a number of good games in succession, because even the worst NRL player can have one good game. I guess what I mean is that one game in isolation, like this trail for instance, isn’t even close to enough.

I guess it’s just like people saying 18 year old so-and-so is going to be the next *insert immortals name here* simply because they’ve had one good game.

I agree it’s good for grassroots growth, but there’ll come a point that fans will want stable multi-year contracts systems and caps. (Obviously the season will need to be extended and/or teams to be increased).

Because if you keep it as a free-for-all, while the points cap keep things ‘fair’, teams will continue to be a revolving door and a couple of lean seasons so early could spell the end for one of them.

Also, while there are a lot of established stars that have been signed by all clubs, if too many get poached, because of the small number of elite players, there’s not as high a quality production line to replace them, even with only 4 teams.

If the Roosters for example don’t make some astute signings and do lose Kelly, their team is going to be rather ordinary. Not really fair under the design of the points cap. Also you have players that may miss warranted rep selection, and are therefore more easily attained under the points cap, potentially convenient for a certain club. Now that does require a fair amount of conspiracy thinking, but honestly wouldn’t surprise me in this game.

Sure I’m worried about losing some of our girls (yes ours), and while we overcame what was at the time a massive loss of almost our entire forward pack, we got a bit lucky replacing the second-rowers with players we arguably would’ve had all along, and even Boyle being up here for the Reds girls. That sort of luck will run out at some point.

I’m not saying it’s a simple solution, particularly as the money just isn’t there (to that degree I wasn’t aware), but something needs to be put in place relatively soon to avoid the NSW Origin side Dragons or Roosters signing an entire premiership squad inside a year or two.

I agree, it needs to keep evolving and changing as the competition changes but I do think the next step is to get the level under it working and that's being done. As I said the QRLW is about to start and that means girls will play good quality football all year not just for a month.

Once the pool is bigger you can start to have longer contracts but the problem is still going to be money.

The Broncos spend 400k to put that team on the park and they see no return on that investment. The salaries are tiny and work has to come first. It's hard to demand more when you're not making any but you can't have a stable side without it because girls will continue to put work first and move around. The salaries can't go up either when it's a month of the year.

The cap now with the points means clubs have to recruit and find players which as I said improves the pool- the Broncos went outside the box and found four girls. The points also means that teams remain strong which works well with four teams. Ideally you'd want to move to a money cap and a full time salary for the players/teams but I think that's a fair way off just because they don't make the money to warrant it and don't play long enough.

Where did I claim the dragons were the only side who could buy players?

Please quote it for me so I can see. Thanks.

You do this all the time. I think you think you are voice of reason, truth is, in every debate I've had with you you make claims that I've said something that I haven't said. You've just assumed what I'm thinking. Wrongly....

Again, it isn't relevant. If I buy an apple I've still bloody bought it haven't I? 2 cents more is still more. Therefore, as the dragons have PAID more they have BOUGHT a premiership.

I think you think you're some sort of moral compass for decisions the NRL make sometimes. I'm not pissed off at the dragons, although I think they have taken the easy way out and it won't lead to an improvement in comp standards. I'm pissed off at the nrl.
Honest question, and I don't mind either way, but do you support the broncos? Because whenever it's even been suggested that they have been wronged you seem to think it's your role to rubbish the suggestion and defend the nrl, storm (in particular), any other club except for the broncos.

99% of that irrelevant and you still haven't addressed any of the NRLW issues I raised.

Giving the dragons salary cap dispensation isn't enough I suppose

What special buying treatment do the Dragons receive that no other club does?

So if the Broncos buy two or three cheap players that are on development deals or minium salary in their 30 and win the competition you would be ok with someone saying the Broncos bought a premiership because of those small deals?

Of course your salary impacts. Even if Ethan Bullemor plays and kills it this year scoring the winning Grand Final try it would be ludicrous for someone to say Broncos bought the premiership with him- why? Because he's on bugger all.

Just add too the turn over is a massive issue some unavoidable like Bremmer taking 12 months off for a baby- nothing you can do about that but the figure was huge from year one to year two.

94 contracted players from NRLW clubs in 2018 to 2019, just 41 stayed with the same team. 32 new faces so a third. 38 out of the 90 were without a contract for year two.

Just add too the turn over is a massive issue some unavoidable like Bremmer taking 12 months off for a baby- nothing you can do about that but the figure was huge from year one to year two.

94 contracted players from NRLW clubs in 2018 to 2019, just 41 stayed with the same team. 32 new faces so a third. 38 out of the 90 were without a contract for year two.

and it’s entirely understandable in the first 5 years or so. Along with pregnancy there were also retirements of the old guard after realising their dreams of playing for an NRL club. injury layoffs of a few players like Moran and Fressard (and that’s only for us) that were carried in ‘18 but not in 19. add in how small a pool of players it is as they have both smaller squads and less teams and it’s always going to be a pretty big percentage. I’m not overly concerned at that unless it doesn’t decrease over time (and most of the players that are subject will probably be retired by then)

So yeah I understand the need for a bit of fluidity to cover these instances, but I can see the Dragons (as they are the rightful target currently) keeping Vette-Welsh, gaining Kelly and keeping Bremner and all they do is lose a depth player or two from their 20-odd squad and run out that same backline come August combined with the 3/4 of our pack they took from ’18.

Remains to be seen of course, but I’m not betting against that happening

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • Foordy
  • Mustafur
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • Matheos
  • Bish
  • bb_gun
  • Culhwch
  • BruiserMk1
  • Organix
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Financeguy
  • Galah
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Strop
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.