NEWS Niu and Carrigan set the tone as Broncos get creative

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Broncos coach Anthony Seibold has singled out teen fullback Tesi Niu and co-captain Pat Carrigan for praise as he prepares to use small sided games of tag to focus on ball skills when the Brisbane players return to training on Wednesday.

Players from all 16 NRL clubs attended information and education sessions on Monday about the strict biosecurity protocols introduced to enable the Telstra Premiership to resume on May 28 and Seibold said he had been impressed by the fitness of most of his squad.

In particular, he said Niu and Carrigan had impressed him with the way they had used the six-week stoppage due to COVID-19 restrictions to improve on their fitness and strength.

“Tesi Niu and Pat Carrigan are two who really stand out for me,” Seibold said. “Tesi hasn’t made his debut yet but he is a very good player and someone we want to keep longer term. Physically for an 18-year-old kid he is in really good shape and he has worked really hard over this last break.

“Patty Carrigan is someone who has had to work really hard to keep his weight and size on him. He has been able to get access to a home gym and he has worked really hard on keeping his strength and his size up.

“I’ve got to say that the group has done a hell of a job and the vast majority of guys have turned up in really good shape. I am really proud with the way they have handled that bit of chaos.”

When the players return for training on Wednesday, they will be limited to groups of 10, which Seibold admitted wasn’t idea as he had planned to focus on ball work.

Seibold has broken his squad into three groups based on the 22-18 defeat of South Sydney on March 20 and they will play 5 v 5 games of tag, with the coaches required to remain seven metres from each 10-man squad.

“Our left hand side from the last game will be one group, we will mix them in with some middle forward and the right hand side from the last game will probably be mixed in with some forwards," Seibold said.

“Our renegade group will be group three, the guys who didn’t play in the last game.

“We’ve got to be creative and agile in regards to the way we train. The team that adapts the best will come out of the box really well and the team that wins the premiership will have done a hell of a job.

“I’m one who does everything where you have got defenders in front of you and you have to make decisions and you have to execute skill under pressure.

“We’ve been told we can use the flags for flag footy. We’ll have the boys in flags so rather than touching the body they will pull the flag out.

“My understanding is that by Saturday, with all going well, we will be able to train in full groups with contact and all of that sort of stuff.”

All clubs took their first formal steps towards the commencement of a pre-season ahead of the resumption of the Telstra Premiership with the education sessions on Monday.

Source: https://www.broncos.com.au/news/202...h574ZYMsmGy5eBcY0tDM-owkdQkKMH_ohAXQe8-tOegKo

So who turned up fat?
Download

Active Now

• Xzei
  • bert_lifts
  • broncs30
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Allo
  • Nerd
  • Morepudding
  • something
  • LittleDavey
  • BroncosAlways
  • Midean
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncorob
  • Johnny92
  • Waynesaurus
  • Manofoneway
  • eggstar10
  • Kev_Guz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • The Don
... and 47 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.