Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

Niu Remains A Bronco For Two More Years

broncos.com.au
Fri 13 Aug 2021, 03:27 PM

Electric fullback Tesi Niu will remain a Brisbane Bronco for another two years.

Niu, a Queenslander who turned 20 this week, has already made 18 NRL appearances including 12 this season, making an impressive 37 tackles break and crossing for five tries in 2021. His extension means he remains a Bronco until the end of 2023.

He grew up playing for Souths Juniors Magpies at Acacia Ridge as part of the Broncos Affiliate Souths Logan Magpies’ junior system and attended Marsden State High School – joining the Broncos Academy from his early teens before graduating into the club’s NRL program and debuting last season.

Niu’s work ethic and attention to detail were hallmarks of his time in the Broncos’ talent pathways, with the youngster spending hundreds of extra hours on the training paddock over and above the set programs.

He has carried that approach and attitude into his senior football and has made the fullback position his own with his slick footwork in the backend of the 2021 season after starting the year in the unfamiliar centre role.

In choosing to remain a Bronco, Niu joins Kotoni Staggs, Keenan Palasia, Jordan Riki, Kobe Hetherington, Jake Turpin, Tyson Gamble, David Mead, and exciting youngsters Brendan Piakura, Teui “TC” Robati, Selwyn Cobbo and Xavier Willison who have all extended with the club in recent months.

They will be joined in 2022 by new signings Adam Reynolds, Kurt Capewell and Brenko Lee.

Broncos Football & Performance Director Ben Ikin said: “Tesi has been part of our pathways since his early teens and it is great for the club that he chose to stay with us beyond this year.

“He clearly has great natural ability, and his work ethic and attitude are top shelf. Tesi has a bright future in the NRL and we are all looking forward to seeing his continued development as a player and a person.”

I'm guessing there might have been a slight exaggeration of the interest from other clubs?

Well at least it’s better than no fullback next year. He’s very young so hopefully he can improve further over the offseason.

Hope it was a fairly cheap deal.

why do you say that? being a Bronco tends to be enough for some clubs.

just because he choose to re-sign doesn't mean others weren't interested in him
I'm more commentating about the media moreso then Niu necessarily. I have no doubt clubs showed interest(that is natural) just not to the extent they were at one stage making it out to be. I got no problem re-signing him personally, I think the length is fine and I'm confident it was for a reasonable amount.

227085316 10159249721304631 6364676745980582847 n

Is anyone else starting to get really pissed off at the media department basically just doing a copy and paste on the he joins fellow bronco players to stay in etc
Like come up with something original for **** sakes

Happy with this! in the next year we'll see how good he can be, if he doesn't progress we can bring reece home.
Reece signed a 2 year deal and left early. Not a viable until end of 2023 😔😞

Is anyone else starting to get really pissed off at the media department basically just doing a copy and paste on the he joins fellow bronco players to stay in etc
Like come up with something original for **** sakes
Really? How else should they say that?

Really odd thing to be upset about.

I'm glad we got Tesi. He has his faults, but he's young and they can be sorted. He has pace, footy smarts and a great awareness of space. He's a tough little nugget and reminds me of a young raw Berrigan.

Happy days.

Hope he skins them Rooster tonight.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Foordy
  • Organix
  • BroncoFan94
  • Waynesaurus
  • RolledOates
  • Xzei
  • Brocko
  • pennywisealfie
  • BroncosAlways
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • broncos4life
  • Wolfie
  • Tim K
  • Battler
  • Aldo
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Allo
... and 23 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.