No Brisbane 2.0

I feel like he doesn't take himself too seriously compared to the Smith, Cronk & Slater gronks we had to suffer with.
Bit hard to be serious about the game when you get caught kicking 3 players in the ribs inside a fortnight.

He'll jump onto Qld or become a consultant for the NRL for sure.

NZ may try and pick him up as an advisor for a year to replace Gould
I think he probably knows that it would be hard to get another nrl head coach role after a year out at his age.

I dunno. It’s getting late in the day, held wanna show his hand and make a move soon or end up with no one.

Wayne’s mate Crawley doing a story today about “which coaches are safe”, within hours of expansion being delayed….
I think Kevvie will see out his contract. I don't see anything good coming from sacking him halfway through next season when he only has a few months to go. No matter how badly he goes, I reckon he's safe. Todd Payten is a dead man walking if he loses tomorrow night.

Here's what Crawley said about Walters, plus the ratings he gave everyone else:

KEVIN WALTERS
Contract: 2023. Safety rating: 5/10
"No matter which way anyone spins it, it’s been another horrible year for this once-mighty club, and I’m yet to be convinced Kevin Walters is going to be the coach who can turn it around. The one thing that buys Kevvie some time is the fact he’s a club legend – and the old boys would tear the joint down if they got rid of him now – while he arrived with one hell of a mess to clean up. Still, there’s been so much change and confusion again this year that if things don’t turn around next year I just can’t see how it won’t end badly for everyone involved."

RICKY STUART
Contract: 2023. Safety rating: 8/10

TRENT BARRETT
Contract: 2023. Safety rating: 6/10

JOSH HANNAY
Contract: 2021. Safety rating: N/A

JUSTIN HOLBROOK
Contract: 2024. Safety rating: 6/10

DES HASLER
Contract: 2023. Safety rating: 8.5/10

CRAIG BELLAMY
Contract: 2026. Safety rating: 10/10

ADAM O’BRIEN
Contract: 2024. Safety rating: 4.5/10

TODD PAYTEN

BRAD ARTHUR
Contract: 2022. Safety rating: 7/10

IVAN CLEARY
Contract: 2023. Safety rating: 10/10

WAYNE BENNETT

ANTHONY GRIFFIN

TRENT ROBINSON
Contract: 2022. Safety rating: 10/10

NATHAN BROWN

MICHAEL MAGUIRE
Contract: 2023. Safety rating: 4/10

I think Kevvie will see out his contract. I don't see anything good coming from sacking him halfway through next season when he only has a few months to go. No matter how badly he goes, I reckon he's safe. Todd Payten is a dead man walking if he loses tomorrow night.

KEVIN WALTERS
"No matter which way anyone spins it, it’s been another horrible year for this once-mighty club, and I’m yet to be convinced Kevin Walters is going to be the coach who can turn it around. The one thing that buys Kevvie some time is the fact he’s a club legend – and the old boys would tear the joint down if they got rid of him now – while he arrived with one hell of a mess to clean up. Still, there’s been so much change and confusion again this year that if things don’t turn around next year I just can’t see how it won’t end badly for everyone involved."

RICKY STUART

TRENT BARRETT

JOSH HANNAY

JUSTIN HOLBROOK

DES HASLER

CRAIG BELLAMY

ADAM O’BRIEN

TODD PAYTEN

BRAD ARTHUR

IVAN CLEARY

WAYNE BENNETT

ANTHONY GRIFFIN

TRENT ROBINSON

NATHAN BROWN

MICHAEL MAGUIRE
Correct, make no mistake, if we are in a similar position post Origin next year to the one we're in now then Walters is (and probably rightfully so) a goner.

As for a replacement, well that's anyones guess. Would the Broncos be brave and patient enough to back someone like Maguire? Do we go back cap in hand to Wayne and beg forgiveness? Do we throw another rookie into the job like Hodges?

There honestly isn't a lot of really attractive options that don't come with massive question marks out there now that Bellamy is off the table.

KEVIN WALTERS

RICKY STUART

TRENT BARRETT

JOSH HANNAY

JUSTIN HOLBROOK

DES HASLER

CRAIG BELLAMY

ADAM O’BRIEN

TODD PAYTEN

BRAD ARTHUR

IVAN CLEARY

WAYNE BENNETT

ANTHONY GRIFFIN

TRENT ROBINSON

NATHAN BROWN

MICHAEL MAGUIRE

Hasler should have two ratings... with and without turbo

Its probably not a good idea to get rid of another coach midway through a season, but the Broncos absolutely must be looking for someone better to take over 2023.

Its probably not a good idea to get rid of another coach midway through a season, but the Broncos absolutely must be looking for someone better to take over 2023.
I don't see him getting sacked mid-season necessarily, but by this time next year if we aren't in a much better position than we are right now then I suspect they'll be looking to go in a new direction.

't see him getting sacked mid-season necessarily, but by this time next year if we aren't in a much better position than we are right now then I suspect they'll be looking to go in a new direction.
I think the Broncs are a long way off from being in a much better position (though I guess finishing 10th or something is already a much better position). Walters has left me completely unimpressed this year, its been the exact same thing as with Seibold - all talk in the preseason and then cluelessness once the season started. Unless he has some kind of a divine revelation, I can't see him being a coach here past next year if Ikin and Donaghy are as competent as we hope they are.

I don't see him getting sacked mid-season necessarily, but by this time next year if we aren't in a much better position than we are right now then I suspect they'll be looking to go in a new direction.
The smarter move would be to bring in some promising apprentices under Kevvie, which right now we don't have. These are the guys who do the actual hands-on coaching, and who are effectively auditioning for the top job. Names like Slater, Hodges, and Cameron Smith come to mind. Bring them in, churn them out, until you find what you want. It's a lot simpler and cheaper to burn through assistants than heads.

Active Now

• Gaz
  • davidp
  • Broncosgirl
  • Dash
  • Sproj
  • Manofoneway
  • Tim K
  • Fitzy
  • leon.bott
  • Midean
  • FACTHUNT
  • heartly87
  • Hurrijo
  • Mr Fourex
  • Skathen
  • KateBroncos1812
  • mitch222
  • Mum-the-meatloaf
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.