NEWS Nothing can hold Boyd back

Super Freak

International Captain
Brisbane
  • Staff
imagev15772a1844a3a42e14ba1e89d225b2575-d8tnrxd0r14lvwr7er2.png

Nothing can hold Boyd back

December 15, 2018

Broncos skipper Darius Boyd has declared he is fully fit and primed to recapture his attacking mojo after his frustrating injury battle last season.

As Broncos stars prepare to head into the Christmas break, their captain Boyd is fit and firing and has set his sights on reprising the form that made him the NRL’s No.1 fullback two years ago.

While Boyd played all 25 games for the Broncos last season, he rarely seemed at the peak of his powers, weighed down by niggling hamstring problems that had initially flared the previous season.

Boyd’s patchy club form led to his axing from the Queensland Origin side, prompting the 31-year-old to announce his shock retirement from representative football.

But Brisbane’s early finals exit, coupled with an off-season holiday in Hawaii, has given Boyd sufficient time to heal his body and mind.

Brisbane’s most experienced player has moved with pain-free confidence in the opening month of the 2019 pre-season and is adamant he is not a spent force in the NRL.

“I’m 100 per cent now, my body is good again,” Boyd said.

“I think that’s why I am excited about the new season coming up.

“The previous year, I wasn’t allowed to do much running in the off-season and my pre-season was interrupted with my hammies and the struggles with that.

“I lost some confidence at the start of last season, but my body slowly got better and I felt I had a good final six weeks of the (2018) season.

“Now I want to pick up where I left off — I want to get back to my old self.”

The sight of Boyd battling to reach optimum speed last season triggered fears he would struggle to see out his Broncos contract, which expires at the end of 2021.

The former Test custodian has previously said he would retire early if his body kept breaking down, but Boyd has renewed faith he can play on until the age of 34.

Boyd has every incentive to soldier on. A veteran of 292 NRL matches, the former Dragons and Knights ace needs just eight more games to join the code’s elite 300-game club.

If he stays fit over the next three years, Boyd has the potential to chalk up 350 games.

“I want to see out my contract definitely,” Boyd said.

“I’m not putting pressure on myself. If I play six more years or three more years, whatever I am feeling mentally and physically I’d be happy to do.

“I will see how this year goes and play the way I know I can. Whatever will be will be.

“I’m not planning on retiring anytime soon, that’s for sure.”

Sharks flyer Valentine Holmes’ decision to quit the NRL to trial for an NFL contract has created a vacancy on the Queensland wing next season, but Boyd insists his Origin days are over.

“I am comfortable with retiring from rep footy,” he said.

“Queensland have guys like Kalyn Ponga, Corey Oates, Dane Gagai and Kyle Feldt coming through so the future is in good hands. I had nothing more to prove so I’m OK with the decision.

“I’ll definitely miss it. Origin was a special part of my life, I was there for 10 years. But not having Origin to play next year … long-term I feel it will be good for my career at the Broncos.”

Source: Courier Mail

Jedhead

NRL Player
I hope he intends to patrol our in-goal area with some conviction then. We lost so many points to soft kicks going uncontested last season. Playing up in the line has its merits but it is limited, employing this strategy for the whole game is counter-productive as opposing teams soon work out when to kick and play accordingly.

Super Freak

International Captain
Brisbane
  • Staff
I hope he intends to patrol our in-goal area with some conviction then. We lost so many points to soft kicks going uncontested last season. Playing up in the line has its merits but it is limited, employing this strategy for the whole game is counter-productive as opposing teams soon work out when to kick and play accordingly.
The rest of the team would need to pick up the slack then.

He defended in the line so much because players would be sloppy and leave holes in the mainly due to not getting back in the line quick enough. I lost count on the amount of times Boyd was forced to defend in the line to try and plug a hole.

Sirlee oldman

NRL Player
Getting Gillett back will be a big help to the defence. He organises the whole right side and sets the standard especially with the kick chase.

Morkel

International Captain
While Boyd was caught out more than he has been in the past, he wasn’t alone. Watching Slater & Tedesco during the finals series showed that they too were often caught out, being nowhere near the ball and conceding tries to well-placed grabbers. It’s a symptom of the defensive line being stretched, no team, no fullback, is immune.

Jedhead

NRL Player
While Boyd was caught out more than he has been in the past, he wasn’t alone. Watching Slater & Tedesco during the finals series showed that they too were often caught out, being nowhere near the ball and conceding tries to well-placed grabbers. It’s a symptom of the defensive line being stretched, no team, no fullback, is immune.
I fully agree, but due to Buyd's lack of fitness there were times where it looked like he wasn't even interested in contesting the kick.

Allo

NRL Captain
It really begs the question, and I don’t want to say it was a Wayne/Boyd thing, but why wasn’t he rested, even a week, to give the hammies a chance to recover. We’ve seen an unfit Boyd can be more detrimental than not to the team.

I can understand being a bit apprehensive about put Isaako in there in his first year, but if he was unable to play it would’ve been the case anyway.

Unbreakable

International Rep
27.4° S, 153.0° E
I'm pretty confident that this will be a bit of a redemption season for Darb. I have no doubt he played the entire season at 75% fitness or less. I think getting out from under Wayne will benefit him as well, change is good.

My prediction is that he'll reacquire the Queensland 1 jersey this year.

Last edited:

Thelmus

QCup Player
The rest of the team would need to pick up the slack then.

He defended in the line so much because players would be sloppy and leave holes in the defensive mainly due to not getting back in the line quick enough. I lost count on the amount of times Boyd was forced to defend in the line to try and plug a hole.
Yeah i noticed that too. Tpj, sua and fiffita are good players but theyre prone to defensive lapses (goes with territory of young forwards), then we had the problem of rotating door at right centre.
It really begs the question, and I don’t want to say it was a Wayne/Boyd thing, but why wasn’t he rested, even a week, to give the hammies a chance to recover. We’ve seen an unfit Boyd can be more detrimental than not to the team.

I can understand being a bit apprehensive about put Isaako in there in his first year, but if he was unable to play it would’ve been the case anyway.
I think its was the case of all hands on deck with regards to last season. There were a lot of injuries to our older players who were part of the leadership group.
If there was someone with the presence to fill the void Boyd would have been but there wasn't.
That might be Milford in a couple of years but it would have been too much last season with him coming to grips with chief playmaker role. The others like Macca or Maguire either had injuries of their own or problems off the field to deal with, or were just unsuited to it .

Jedhead

NRL Player
The elephant in the room is our captain's mental strength. I fully appreciate some of the shit he has had to address in his past and Benny was a great mentor and source of stability for him during the time he fought through those traumatic times. I hope and pray for his own sake that next season he is able to flourish without Benny, have a great year, leads the boys to a successful GF win and finally puts those demons to rest for good.

badyon

QCup Player
"If I play six more years or three more years, whatever"

Darius paycheck Boyd.

Sitting back counting all them zeros piling up must be nice.

Meanwhile has had three good games the past 18 months. Hope Seibs deals with it.

Morepudding

NRL Player
Doesn't mean he is.
He's definitely a pea heart on the field. Doesn't show any drive. Some of his tackle attempts were embarrassing. I mean there were several where he just tried to grab with hands or fell over for no reason or didn't run for a grubber or would make a tackle and then not make an effort to get back in position. After every tackle Slater rushed back to his feet and gets in position asap. Boyd takes longer to get up than Dugan.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.