International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Imagev15772a1844a3a42e14ba1e89d225b2575 d8tnrxd0r14lvwr7er2

Nothing can hold Boyd back

December 15, 2018

Source: Courier Mail

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope he intends to patrol our in-goal area with some conviction then. We lost so many points to soft kicks going uncontested last season. Playing up in the line has its merits but it is limited, employing this strategy for the whole game is counter-productive as opposing teams soon work out when to kick and play accordingly.

I hope he intends to patrol our in-goal area with some conviction then. We lost so many points to soft kicks going uncontested last season. Playing up in the line has its merits but it is limited, employing this strategy for the whole game is counter-productive as opposing teams soon work out when to kick and play accordingly.

The rest of the team would need to pick up the slack then.

He defended in the line so much because players would be sloppy and leave holes in the mainly due to not getting back in the line quick enough. I lost count on the amount of times Boyd was forced to defend in the line to try and plug a hole.

Getting Gillett back will be a big help to the defence. He organises the whole right side and sets the standard especially with the kick chase.

While Boyd was caught out more than he has been in the past, he wasn’t alone. Watching Slater & Tedesco during the finals series showed that they too were often caught out, being nowhere near the ball and conceding tries to well-placed grabbers. It’s a symptom of the defensive line being stretched, no team, no fullback, is immune.

While Boyd was caught out more than he has been in the past, he wasn’t alone. Watching Slater & Tedesco during the finals series showed that they too were often caught out, being nowhere near the ball and conceding tries to well-placed grabbers. It’s a symptom of the defensive line being stretched, no team, no fullback, is immune.
I fully agree, but due to Buyd's lack of fitness there were times where it looked like he wasn't even interested in contesting the kick.

It really begs the question, and I don’t want to say it was a Wayne/Boyd thing, but why wasn’t he rested, even a week, to give the hammies a chance to recover. We’ve seen an unfit Boyd can be more detrimental than not to the team.

I can understand being a bit apprehensive about put Isaako in there in his first year, but if he was unable to play it would’ve been the case anyway.

I'm pretty confident that this will be a bit of a redemption season for Darb. I have no doubt he played the entire season at 75% fitness or less. I think getting out from under Wayne will benefit him as well, change is good.

My prediction is that he'll reacquire the Queensland 1 jersey this year.

Last edited:
The rest of the team would need to pick up the slack then.

He defended in the line so much because players would be sloppy and leave holes in the defensive mainly due to not getting back in the line quick enough. I lost count on the amount of times Boyd was forced to defend in the line to try and plug a hole.
Yeah i noticed that too. Tpj, sua and fiffita are good players but theyre prone to defensive lapses (goes with territory of young forwards), then we had the problem of rotating door at right centre.
It really begs the question, and I don’t want to say it was a Wayne/Boyd thing, but why wasn’t he rested, even a week, to give the hammies a chance to recover. We’ve seen an unfit Boyd can be more detrimental than not to the team.

I can understand being a bit apprehensive about put Isaako in there in his first year, but if he was unable to play it would’ve been the case anyway.
I think its was the case of all hands on deck with regards to last season. There were a lot of injuries to our older players who were part of the leadership group.
If there was someone with the presence to fill the void Boyd would have been but there wasn't.
That might be Milford in a couple of years but it would have been too much last season with him coming to grips with chief playmaker role. The others like Macca or Maguire either had injuries of their own or problems off the field to deal with, or were just unsuited to it .

The elephant in the room is our captain's mental strength. I fully appreciate some of the shit he has had to address in his past and Benny was a great mentor and source of stability for him during the time he fought through those traumatic times. I hope and pray for his own sake that next season he is able to flourish without Benny, have a great year, leads the boys to a successful GF win and finally puts those demons to rest for good.

"If I play six more years or three more years, whatever"

Darius paycheck Boyd.

Sitting back counting all them zeros piling up must be nice.

Meanwhile has had three good games the past 18 months. Hope Seibs deals with it.

Happy to give him the start of the year fresh and under a new coach, see how he goes.

I would say it's stronger than most, considering some of the demons he's had to overcome.
I'm not so sure matey. I can recall quite a few people on this site labelling him a pea-heart last season.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.