NEWS Nothing can hold Boyd back

I have gone to every home game for the past 13 years without missing a single one. I've also gone to 3-4 away games every year. I see a lot. He talks in defence yes. To direct players and stuff like that. But that's what literally every full back ever does. After conceding tries he is rarely the one taking charge of the team. Probably because so many of the conceded tries are due to his poor effort. It averaged more than 1 try a game conceded by grubbers in 2018. That's abysmal and by far the worst in the comp.
They showed one or two huddles on TV where Milford was talking and I am sure that's where you're getting this because at the games it is very different. Do you drink at the games?

They showed one or two huddles on TV where Milford was talking and I am sure that's where you're getting this because at the games it is very different. Do you drink at the games?
No I don't. I actually am starting to think Darius boyd has a few accounts on this forum. Because no one in their right mind could possibly think he showed any leadership at all in 2018.

No I don't. I actually am starting to think Darius boyd has a few accounts on this forum. Because no one in their right mind could possibly think he showed any leadership at all in 2018.
Quite a few players have praised his leadership publicly but yeah, it's definitely just people who aren't in their right mind..

I have gone to every home game for the past 13 years without missing a single one. I've also gone to 3-4 away games every year. I see a lot. He talks in defence yes. To direct players and stuff like that. But that's what literally every full back ever does. After conceding tries he is rarely the one taking charge of the team. Probably because so many of the conceded tries are due to his poor effort. It averaged more than 1 try a game conceded by grubbers in 2018. That's abysmal and by far the worst in the comp.

Averaged more than 1 try a game conceding grubbers? No, we didn't. That stat is made up.

Are you paying attention at the games? Because myself and several others that go to the games see Boyd talking but you don't. Even the players have confirmed that Boyd does in fact talk. It goes like this, Boyd talks and then another player does which is usually Milford.

You can question Boyd's defence, which quite frankly is exaggerated a fair bit on here, but there is one thing he always does and it's talk.

Speaking of the grubbers, very very few of those could even be blamed on Boyd.

The biggest problem was Isaako.

Quite a few players have praised his leadership publicly but yeah, it's definitely just people who aren't in their right mind..
I’m sorry, but this has got to be close to the most ridiculous argument I’ve seen on here.

When was the last time a player publicly slammed their captain, particularly regarding their leadership. In any sport.

That would be akin to professional suicide, particularly when the then-coach, Bennett, is a huge supporter of Boyd (that’s not a dig at Boyd or Bennett either, but that doesn’t make it any less true).

It’s not like this is even remotely likely to happen:

Reporter: Anthony, what do you think of Darius as a captain, does he talk a lot, is he a good leader?
Milford: Oh yeah, Darius has got to be the worst captain I’ve ever had. Doesn’t talk, doesn’t lead by example, doesn’t motivate. Oh, he’s lazy and overpaid too.
Milford: In fact, we all think the same thing, just ask anyone.
Reporter: Yes, we’ve asked them all and the verdict is in, every Broncos player hates having Darius Boyd as captain.

That aside, Boyd is an average captain at best. But honestly, that’s not his fault. He should never have been made captain, but there was simply no one else. He just isn’t a captain.

Like many before him, his career was at a crossroads when made captain.

Given the role and responsibility, he would either grow and become an even more critical part of the team (eg. Hodges) or crumble under the added pressure and his form suffer (eg. Thaiday).

Injuries notwithstanding, you’d have to be an eternal optimist to think his career trajectory has gone up since getting the (C) next to his name.

EDIT: FTR, I honestly hope he comes out in the final years of his contract and gives me the proverbial middle finger and proves me wrong. Time will tell.

Last edited:
I’m sorry, but this has got to be close to the most ridiculous argument I’ve seen on here.

When was the last time a player publicly slammed their captain, particularly regarding their leadership. In any sport.

That would be akin to professional suicide, particularly when the then-coach, Bennett, is a huge supporter of Boyd (that’s not a dig at Boyd or Bennett either, but that doesn’t make it any less true).

Reporter: Anthony, what do you think of Darius as a captain, does he talk a lot, is he a good leader?
Milford: Oh yeah, Darius has got to be the worst captain I’ve ever had. Doesn’t talk, doesn’t lead by example, doesn’t motivate. Oh, he’s lazy and overpaid too.
Reporter: Yes, we’ve asked them all and the verdict is in, every Broncos player hates having Darius Boyd as captain.

That aside, Boyd is an average captain at best. But honestly, that’s not his fault. He should never have been made captain, but there was simply no one else. He just isn’t a captain.

Given the role and responsibility, he would either grow and become an even more critical part of the team (eg. Hodges) or crumble under the added pressure and his form suffer (eg. Thaiday).

Injuries notwithstanding, you’d have to be an eternal optimist to think his career trajectory has gone up since getting the (C) next to his name.

EDIT: FTR, I honestly hope he comes out in the final years of his contract and gives me the proverbial middle finger and proves me wrong. Time will tell.

just because you don't agree with the players, doesn't mean they are lying

I stopped reading here. Hyperbole does not help your argument. There is no way after some of the shit posted on here, that this is even close to being the most ridiculous argument on this forum. I think Foordy's response is all that needs to be said now. Sorry your bias doesn't allow you to see the good things he does out there.

just because you don't agree with the players, doesn't mean they are lying
I think you know, from the way I wrote what I wrote, that wasn’t really the point of my post.

But if I use your logic, just because you do agree with the players, doesn’t mean they’re telling the truth.

I mean, is it really that hard to imagine they might not be truthful in every interview, particularly when what they say may impact their own income and job security?

Indeed, how many times in the last few years alone have you seen players show public support to *insert player / coach name here* only for it to then come out that they couldn’t stand that same person or how they did things.

It’s called towing the company line, and if you don’t think it happens in sport and every single workplace for that matter, you are incredibly naive.

But that aside, you focused on only one topic of my original post. The equally, or even more important part is at the bottom.

Injuries notwithstanding, after almost 300 NRL games, close to 30 origins, over 20 tests and now 2 years as Broncos captain, has the captaincy had the Thaiday or Hodges effect on Boyd?

I stopped reading here. Hyperbole does not help your argument. There is no way after some of the shit posted on here, that this is even close to being the most ridiculous argument on this forum. I think Foordy's response is all that needs to be said now. Sorry your bias doesn't allow you to see the good things he does out there.
It’s funny how the go-to retort of many on here is to scream biased or agenda whilst ignoring the valid points raised.

A very simple way of looking at it is; of the 16 NRL captains, where does Boyd rate? Of all the Broncos captains, where does he rate?

Then ask yourself; does that make him a good captain, an average captain or a bad captain?

I am genuinely interested to see your responses.

It’s funny how the go-to retort of many on here is to scream biased or agenda whilst ignoring the valid points raised.

A very simple way of looking at it is; of the 16 NRL captains, where does Boyd rate? Of all the Broncos captains, where does he rate?

Then ask yourself; does that make him a good captain, an average captain or a bad captain?

I am genuinely interested to see your responses.
His job isn't to motivate you to play well. His job is to motivate his team to play well and our win record is pretty damn good since he's become captain. Apart from the win rate and what the people who pay attention see at games (Talking, calling plays, organizing defense and attack) we have no idea what else he does as the captain. The captains responsibility doesn't just include on field stuff but what he does at training, with the media, with the coaches, the fans, at schools and with charities.

Current
1 Cameron Smith
2 Daly Cherry-Evans
3 Boyd Cordner/Jake Friend
4 Gareth Widdop
5 Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
6 Darius Boyd
7 Matt Scott- Was only captain when Thurston was off the field
8 Greg Inglis- Often broken and very quiet on the field
9 Paul Gallen/Wade Graham- Penalty magnet and all-round good bloke Gallen brings them both down
10 Mitchell Pearce- ***** dogs
11 Josh Jackson- The most average person to ever play the game
12 Jarrod Croker- Kicks goals sometimes
13 James Maloney- The most penalised player in the game. What an example to his players
14 Chris Lawrence/Benji Marshall/Russell Packer/Josh Reynolds/Elijah Taylor- There's five of them and they're all shit
15 Ryan James- Average player at best
16 Clint Gutherson- One good season, ever. Took over from Tim Mannah so I guess that's one positive?

Broncos
1 Alfie Langer
2 Darren Lockyer
3 Kevin Walters
4 Gorden Tallis
5 Justin Hodges
6 Wally Lewis
7 Corey Parker
8 Darius Boyd (Not bad considering who the other captains were)
9 Gene Miles
10 Shane Webcke
11 Petero Civoniceva
12 Sam Thaiday
13 Greg Dowling
14 Andrew Gee
15 Trevor Gillmeister
16 Brad Thorn
17 Wendell Sailor
18 Alex Glenn
19 Kerrod Walters
20 Greg Conescu
21 Shane Walker
22 Gary French

Last edited:

I agree with a lot of what you say, but I definitely disagree about him being made captain when it happened, which I do believe was deserved at the time, taking into account who we had as a choice. He did a pretty good job until last season, especially attitude wise. Of course, last year was a bit of a disaster, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until we see how he goes this year.

FTR, I would've gone with McCullough, who regardless of his talent, always puts in 100% effort, seems to be a genuinely good bloke, appears to be fairly smart and a pretty good speaker too.

His job isn't to motivate you to play well. His job is to motivate his team to play well and our win record is pretty damn good since he's become captain. Apart from the win rate and what the people who pay attention see at games (Talking, calling plays, organizing defense and attack) we have no idea what else he does as the captain. The captains responsibility doesn't just include on field stuff but what he does at training, with the media, with the coaches, the fans, at schools and with charities.

Current
1 Cameron Smith
2 Daly Cherry-Evans
4 Gareth Widdop
5 Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
6 Darius Boyd
9 Paul Gallen/Wade Graham- Penalty magnet and all-round good bloke Gallen brings them both down
13 James Maloney- The most penalised player in the game. What an example to his players
14 Chris Lawrence/Benji Marshall/Russell Packer/Josh Reynolds/Elijah Taylor- There's five of them and they're all shit
16 Clint Gutherson- One good season, ever. Took over from Tim Mannah so I guess that's one positive?

Broncos
1 Alfie Langer
2 Darren Lockyer
3 Kevin Walters
4 Gorden Tallis
5 Justin Hodges
6 Wally Lewis
7 Corey Parker
9 Gene Miles
10 Shane Webcke
11 Petero Civoniceva
12 Sam Thaiday
13 Greg Dowling
14 Andrew Gee
15 Trevor Gillmeister
16 Brad Thorn
17 Wendell Sailor
18 Alex Glenn
19 Kerrod Walters
20 Greg Conescu
21 Shane Walker
22 Gary French
That's a great post. I'd only take issue with the gene miles and gilmeister in that ranking. Not sure what metrics you used, but my own preference would have them both higher.
Gene miles took over from Wally in a tumultuous time at the club that caused their long term friendship to suffer. Despite that he played in a previously unfamiliar role in the second row and was a leader on and off the field for the younger players.
Gilmeister was always a leader in whatever team he played in whether he had the (C) or not. His ranking is probably limited by his opportunities to captsin, but when he took on the role at the crushers (a poisoned chalice if ever there was one), he was their bestplayer and leading try scorer! They didnt do so well but that may have down to some insane recruitment decisions and general "dogs breakfast" with regard to administration.

Boyd didn't really have a whole heap of support last year. Bird and Gillett - who are both experienced, cool heads - will ease the pressure from a captaincy stand point; being injured most of the year and having to worry about that didn't help either.

That's a great post. I'd only take issue with the gene miles and gilmeister in that ranking. Not sure what metrics you used, but my own preference would have them both higher.
Gene miles took over from Wally in a tumultuous time at the club that caused their long term friendship to suffer. Despite that he played in a previously unfamiliar role in the second row and was a leader on and off the field for the younger players.
Gilmeister was always a leader in whatever team he played in whether he had the (C) or not. His ranking is probably limited by his opportunities to captsin, but when he took on the role at the crushers (a poisoned chalice if ever there was one), he was their bestplayer and leading try scorer! They didnt do so well but that may have down to some insane recruitment decisions and general "dogs breakfast" with regard to administration.
Gene Miles was a difficult one to place but the teams greatest achievement with him was playing their first finals game, which I think was surpassed by the players ahead. Also I'm not old enough to remember his captaincy well so I'm sure there's plenty of mistakes in the list. Gilmeister was low because he only captained us three times

Gene Miles was a difficult one to place but the teams greatest achievement with him was playing their first finals game, which I think was surpassed by the players ahead. Also I'm not old enough to remember his captaincy well so I'm sure there's plenty of mistakes in the list. Gilmeister was low because he only captained us three times
That's fair enough with regard to gilmeister, but I'd pick them both before Boyd or Parker if they were all options today. Still I see where you are coming from with miles. I just think the context of what was going on is important in understanding his influence then.

That's fair enough with regard to gilmeister, but I'd pick them both before Boyd or Parker if they were all options today. Still I see where you are coming from with miles. I just think the context of what was going on is important in understanding his influence then.
If I was going by leadership, someone like Shane Webcke would much higher as well. There's no way, as far as captains go that Gilmeister and his three games can be above Boyd. And I dare say that if we are taking the clubs difficult times into account that Boyd getting us into the top 8 in 2018 would be somewhat similar to the tumultuous time Miles had when he was captain. Wouldn't have been easy being the Broncos captain this year.

Current
1 Cameron Smith
2 Daly Cherry-Evans
4 Gareth Widdop
5 Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
6 Darius Boyd
Broncos
1 Alfie Langer
2 Darren Lockyer
3 Kevin Walters
4 Gorden Tallis
5 Justin Hodges
6 Wally Lewis
7 Corey Parker
9 Gene Miles
10 Shane Webcke
11 Petero Civoniceva
12 Sam Thaiday
13 Greg Dowling
14 Andrew Gee
15 Trevor Gillmeister
16 Brad Thorn
17 Wendell Sailor
18 Alex Glenn
19 Kerrod Walters
20 Greg Conescu
21 Shane Walker
22 Gary French
For the most part, I agree with what you’ve said, so I certainly can’t argue with it.

But I personally don’t think Boyd is more than average when it comes to being captain. Indeed, being at 6 in your current NRL captains rating suggests the same. But as I said, if he comes out and proves me wrong, I’ll be happy to eat humble pie. I hope he does!

For me it’s the intangibles or immeasurables that matter just as much as anything else. He’s not Gorden Tallis, so he’s not going to near-murder someone else to fire up the team. Equally, he’s not Darren Lockyer, so he can’t be the go-to man that makes ‘that’ play every time we need it. But I feel he does need to find his identity as a captain and be the leader people look to when the team needs it, however works for him. Hodges is a great recent example of that - he just seemed to grow another leg when made captain, and we all know his history with injuries (no pun intended).

Our win rate may be decent under Boyd, but for mine, we’ve lost too many close games or games we should have won. To be fair, that’s systematic of the Broncos since Lockyer retired and even, at times, during his reign. Obviously, this is not just Boyd’s fault - but the buck always has to stop at the top.

I think back to 2015, Boyd was a big part of the teams success. He was in the thick of it, but didn’t overplay his hand. He was confident; scoring tries, setting them up and stopping them. There have been glimpses of this since, but by and large, I believe he has gone backwards. Sure, he’s been injured a lot, but every player plays injured (as per Hodges above). Every player slows down too, but the really good ones find a way to revolutionise themselves and stay above the pack.

Anyway, that’s just how I feel about it. Maybe I want too much, but only because I want the team to be successful above all else.

Oh and FTR, I only meant full-time Broncos captains, of which I believe Boyd would be above Thaiday and possibly on par with Parker only. The rest are head and shoulders above most other club captains.

Last edited:

Active Now

• FACTHUNT
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.