NRL 2022 Finals Week 1 Discussion

Latrell Mitchell was taking the piss out of the NRL over the weekend for staying down to force the bunker to review the contact.

on several occasions after getting hit. Latrell would get up to one knee, but not play the ball until the bunker got involved.

he even pretty much admitted it when he said to "call him Trell Milk"

Gus talks about it here (about the 2 min mark):

I’m not watching the Gus segment, however if I’m the coach of a team I’m telling my players if they’re hit in the head to stay down. The bunker has made this rod for their back and it’s up to the bunker to fix it. The mailing is a blight on the game but you have to do it otherwise you’re immediately on the back foot.

Latrell Mitchell was taking the piss out of the NRL over the weekend for staying down to force the bunker to review the contact.

on several occasions after getting hit. Latrell would get up to one knee, but not play the ball until the bunker got involved.

he even pretty much admitted it when he said to "call him Trell Milk"

Gus talks about it here (about the 2 min mark):

They said at the beginning of the year that if a player stayed down because of a "high shot" they would take the player off the field for HIA protocols to try and stop some of the milking. This reasoning was sound as if you have copped a shot enough to stun you that you can't play the ball, you could be concussed and should go through the HIA protocols (and not via the trainer's assessment bullshit), however this has just not been enforced by the nrl or on field officials.

They either need to follow through with this, or like in ice hockey penalise teams for attempts to milk penalties.

They said at the beginning of the year that if a player stayed down because of a "high shot" they would take the player off the field for HIA protocols to try and stop some of the milking. This reasoning was sound as if you have copped a shot enough to stun you that you can't play the ball, you could be concussed and should go through the HIA protocols (and not via the trainer's assessment bullshit), however this has just not been enforced by the nrl or on field officials.

They either need to follow through with this, or like in ice hockey penalise teams for attempts to milk penalties.
I think that rule was "if the trainer calls to stop the game then that player would have to go off"... I think it was brought in after the Penrith trainer called for a stoppage to kill the other team's momentum in the finals.

To get around it the trainers just never call for time off unless someone is actually injured... the ref is the one that calls time off when someone takes a dive, because the diver refuses to play the ball.

I think they just need to change it to the bunker only interfering if it warrants a sin bin or send off... that will stop players diving for crushers, minor slaps on the face, hip drops, etc.

At the moment the bunker can interfere if it's worthy of going on report.... except now the NSWRL put everything on report, so players can stop the game at will and it's 50/50 of getting a penalty... if it's play on then there's no harm to the diver, so why wouldnt players do it

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • davidp
  • Battler
  • MrRobot
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Xzei
  • Midean
  • FACTHUNT
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Galah
  • TimWhatley
  • Scorchie
  • Skyblues87
  • mitch222
  • Jazza
  • whykickamoocow
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosgirl
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.