NRL 2023 Round 10 Discussion

I think it would require a big bid for the NRL to even consider moving Magic round, it sold out completely this year and there is genuine momentum that feels like it's getting bigger each year.

If they found a weekend that had a public holiday they could stretch it out to 4 days and get even more people.

I also think with the build up towards the Olympics the QLD Government wouldn't hesitate to make sure it stays in Brisbane even if a big bid comes from elsewhere, the plan seems to be to host as many sporting events as possible atm.

The only place with almost as good an event precinct as Suncorp is Melbourne, but screw them. And it’d have to be Marvel Stadium on the oval field to get the big crowd so screw that too.

I just don't know when you could have it in Melbourne. During the AFL season, the CBD is basically a Magic Round every weekend with fans all congregating and packing the trains, busses and trams to get to the game. Whatever novelty the NRL might have would be absolutely lost presently.

Maybe in 5-10 years time if the NRL does a great job of building it as an event but I can't envision it at the moment.

What say you @Sproj/Victorians of BHQ.

The only place with almost as good an event precinct as Suncorp is Melbourne, but screw them. And it’d have to be Marvel Stadium on the oval field to get the big crowd so screw that too.

I just don't know when you could have it in Melbourne. During the AFL season, the CBD is basically a Magic Round every weekend with fans all congregating and packing the trains, busses and trams to get to the game. Whatever novelty the NRL might have would be absolutely lost presently.

Maybe in 5-10 years time if the NRL does a great job of building it as an event but I can't envision it at the moment.

What say you @Sproj/Victorians of BHQ.

You could do it on the round that the AFL designates as their magic round (different name of course) which this year, was Adelaide. That weekend there are no games in Victoria, so you could do that but it would be bold, it would be taken as a direct attack on the AFL and I do not think this is in the NRL's best interests to do that. If they bought the AFL's ire on them, the NRL don't have the business / professional acumen to win that fight.

The NRL should build magic round and then look at another location in addition but not attacking AFL heartland, it won't work.

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Foordy
  • Browny
  • Brocko
  • Redux
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Porthoz
  • Broncorob
  • Harry Sack
  • Fitzy
  • Battler
  • The Don
  • NSW stables
  • Xzei
  • Fozz
  • Mustafur
  • Dash
  • Financeguy
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.