CROSS FORUM NRL 2023 Round 5 Discussion

Something very similar happened in the Chester try for cows though and was carried through as a try.
I'd argue it's the exact same thing. Kiraz comes in to make a tackle, dislodges the ball and it contacts Kiraz before Chester regains control of it.

Didn't Staggs have a similar try disallowed last year? Or was that with the ground rather than another player?

Didn't Staggs have a similar try disallowed last year? Or was that with the ground rather than another player?
I think all those ones last year was the ball coming away from the player's grip and them being required to re-grip the ball before grounding... which is near impossible in the split seconds you have during a grounding.

They've changed that to the ball needing to come fully away from contact, and I don't think they need to re-grip it anymore either, they just have contact at the point of grounding, like the old downward pressure rulings

I'd argue it's the exact same thing. Kiraz comes in to make a tackle, dislodges the ball and it contacts Kiraz before Chester regains control of it.
I was going to say that the Chester one was blatantly worse yesterday, but I only saw a couple replays of it and similar with Best's wasn't quite sure which was worse... but with Chester's I could clearly see the ball come away from his grip whilst Kiraz was making the tackle.

Something very similar happened in the Chester try for cows though and was carried through as a try.

When he scoops up the ball he's tackled straight away and it appears to come loose and make contact with the defender, but it wasnt looked at and stayed a try.

His right hand always being on the ball is what saved him there.

Reports are that 2 weeks after "shaking up" his spine Sheens is going to change things up again.

Reports are that Laurie and Staines are fighting it out for fullback.

Doueihi will move back to 5/8 (weird that he wasn't given more of a go after moving him to a position he hasn't played in several years)

Brooks will be given his 1 millionth chance and Wakeham is being made the scapegoat

Reports are that 2 weeks after "shaking up" his spine Sheens is going to change things up again.

Doueihi will move back to 5/8 (weird that he wasn't given more of a go after moving him to a position he hasn't played in several years)

Brooks will be given his 1 millionth chance and Wakeham is being made the scapegoat
They should keep shaking until Sheens falls out.

[st_table="45%"][st_tr][st_td_row="2"]
4461.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Mr Dragon - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .July 25, 2015
REACTIONS: 4,252
[/st_td][/st_tr][/st_table]

Is flog like Bro? 🤣

Sure, yeah. But saying Wah-flogs doesn't roll off the tongue so well as Wah-bros.

When he scoops up the ball he's tackled straight away and it appears to come loose and make contact with the defender, but it wasnt looked at and stayed a try.

To me it just seems a completely pointless decision to call out the Best try when it didnt really look blatant... his hands were still around the ball and it's so hard to tell if it's come loose.... so did it ever fully come away from the hands or just bobble a little bit.

I missed it happening live and have only seen it a few times, and think maybe it's bobbled, but I'm not sure I've seen the exact point it comes away... so was there clear evidence to overturn or should it have been benefit of the doubt and stayed with the ref's original decision.

But now that's a precedent... so if it happens again it will be scrutinised by the media and Graham will be fronting up on a Monday morning defending the decision
I love watching Annesley do his mental gymnastics each week. I mean, I'm pretty sure one reason for a set of rulings was "if it looks like a try, it's probably a try", another being "speed up the game" and yet now we will be scrutinising all the potential bobbles on put downs? Just say you messed up, it happens. Also, does anyone else gauge whether a 50/50 will be given a certain way based on the scoreboard? Team is up by 4 pts, no try... team is down by 4 pts, try.

Gotta feel for Wakeham. Thrown in the deep end, dragged through the Broncos wringer and now tossed under the buss

Would there be a chance at all that Pascoe, the idiot that he is, is meddling and saying Brooks has to be the 7? It seems to be the only thing that makes sense because despite several coaches, some of them even good, that none of them have done what is bleedingly obvious to EVERYONE not running that club and that is Brooks isn't an NRL grade 7.

[/st_td_row][st_td]Tianasnow14 - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .December 7, 2019
REACTIONS: 1,228
Anyone else wanna see Valence Te Whare in first grade?

[/st_td_row][st_td]Tianasnow14 - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .December 7, 2019
REACTIONS: 1,228

Anyone else wanna see Valence Te Whare in first grade?

He runs pretty fast for a guy with a spare tyre if I'm thinking of the right guy.

Would there be a chance at all that Pascoe, the idiot that he is, is meddling and saying Brooks has to be the 7? It seems to be the only thing that makes sense because despite several coaches, some of them even good, that none of them have done what is bleedingly obvious to EVERYONE not running that club and that is Brooks isn't an NRL grade 7.
Who do they have that can play 7 though... they got rid of Hastings and Madden.

Wakeham isnt a 7, but I dont know who else they've got in the lower grades.

At this point you just have to drop Brooks down to reserve grade and see if he can beat up on reggies to get some confidence

I love watching Annesley do his mental gymnastics each week. I mean, I'm pretty sure one reason for a set of rulings was "if it looks like a try, it's probably a try", another being "speed up the game" and yet now we will be scrutinising all the potential bobbles on put downs? Just say you messed up, it happens. Also, does anyone else gauge whether a 50/50 will be given a certain way based on the scoreboard? Team is up by 4 pts, no try... team is down by 4 pts, try.
100% the scoreboard has an influence on a ref's decision with a 50/50.

They dont want to be in the papers for determining a result.... their job is to be invisible.

Who do they have that can play 7 though... they got rid of Hastings and Madden.

Wakeham isnt a 7, but I dont know who else they've got in the lower grades.

At this point you just have to drop Brooks down to reserve grade and see if he can beat up on reggies to get some confidence

they got rid of Hasting yes ...

Madden choose to save his career

4775.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]wizards rage - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .April 18, 2016
REACTIONS: 22,064
Also, does anyone else gauge whether a 50/50 will be given a certain way based on the scoreboard? Team is up by 4 pts, no try... team is down by 4 pts, try.
You forgot the first factor for adjudicating 50/50’s prior to the scoreboard factor - if the team is Australian or not.

I think your 100% correct on the scoreboard for at least the first half and then they seem to be fairer to close out the game so as not determine the result in close ones (to much).

It gets them in a pickle, where they have to square up sometimes and give 80/20 calls the minority way which is where the fans start feeling robbed.

Highlights it’s an entertainment product as much as a purely sporting contest.

Smash em bro

REACTIONS: 1,230
8423.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Sproj - broncoshq.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .September 5, 2013

He runs pretty fast for a guy with a spare tyre if I'm thinking of the right guy.

Yeah hes a big boy. Centre in reserve grade for the Dolphins. Couple runs in first grade before the wahs snatch him up 🤣

4775.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]wizards rage - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .April 18, 2016
REACTIONS: 22,064

Highlights it's an entertainment product as much as a purely sporting contest.

Smash em bro
I'm not sure it can be both in the way you described.

8927.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Warriorsitsouryear - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .March 5, 2021
REACTIONS: 674
Pre-season - with all the drama off the field at the Broncos... I think 4 different incidents - I was picking them to miss the 8. For that to happen - would be a couple of losses and then the media circus begins on Kev and if he can coach or not.... then the team spirals. What have the Broncs gone and done - won 5 from 5. Even if they lose a couple now - the pressure valve has been released. I have also noticed Reynolds and others complimenting Kev in their media interviews. I do wonder if that is a club ploy or genuine. Either way - great start for the Broncs! It looks like an exciting season ahead for them. Hope no-one followed my advice and backed them to miss the 8.... :rolleyes:

Active Now

• Browny
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • RolledOates
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.