NRL 2023 Rule Amendments

It will become a discretionary rule. They can still rule that breaking early is a penalty too.

The 10m penalties is also an existing rule... the refs just haven't been enforcing it.

I'm assuming the new interpretation will be that a penalty blown on something that is otherwise a six again will not have to result in a sin binning... i.e. it doesn't need to be at professional foul levels before the ref blows a whistle.

However, the six again rule has ALWAYS been that the ref has discretion to blow a full penalty whenever they want. It has never been a component of the six again era that a penalty on a six again infringement can only ever be a professional foul. This was just a media interpretation because the idiot from the NRL didn't correct himself in the original press conference.
It's one of those powers the officials had but would seldom use because you'd hate to be the one referee who sticks their neck out and it has a huge bearing on a game.

I was more making light of 10m being grouped in as a discretionary penalty for captain's challenge. I understand what they're saying and I'm glad teams don't have that opportunity but you'd think it's black and white?

It's one of those powers the officials had but would seldom use because you'd hate to be the one referee who sticks their neck out and it has a huge bearing on a game.

I was more making light of 10m being grouped in as a discretionary penalty for captain's challenge. I understand what they're saying and I'm glad teams don't have that opportunity but you'd think it's black and white?
But remember "it's all about a referee managing the game... rather than actually officiating the rules"

Meh, happy with the HIA change but the rest are farts in the wind. Still way too much reliance on the discretion of referees who have already proven themselves too incompetent or complacent to do the job right. Who in their right mind would trust the likes of Cummins and Klein to handle circumstances like these properly and consistently?

Also lol @ the specifically worded "discretionary" nature of the 10 metres. They may as well have come right out and said "Yes we officiate differently depending on who is playing, what of it?". Just hurry the **** up and take us right back to the rule set of the early 2010's and stop fucking around.

Meh, happy with the HIA change but the rest are farts in the wind. Still way too much reliance on the discretion of referees who have already proven themselves too incompetent or complacent to do the job right. Who in their right mind would trust the likes of Cummins and Klein to handle circumstances like these properly and consistently?

Also lol @ the specifically worded "discretionary" nature of the 10 metres. They may as well have come right out and said "Yes we officiate differently depending on who is playing, what of it?". Just hurry the **** up and take us right back to the rule set of the early 2010's and stop fucking around.

Yep, I saw the "both feet" thing and laughed. What does it even matter if the refs will just turn a blind eye to certain teams anyway?

The grounding ruling was already the rule. The video ref in the last few years started deeming them a loss of control, which they at least were **mostly** consistent with. But that was never the rule. If there was no separation, control was never a factor. It was only if there was separation, then control needed to be regained.

The combined "held/released" is similar to the above in that it was always the rule. When a tackle was completed, it was called. It's only when the Storm started getting all tangled up, or did the whole "dance around with 3 defenders, held called, all crash to the ground" that the refs has to then give a grace period of untangling and removal of bodies. If a tackle is complete, if the tacklers have put themselves in a position to hinder an immediate PTB by the attacker, it is their responsibility to clear out or be pinged. But again, yes, we will see different interpretations depending on the team.

Haha, obviously I missed that. Well then it continues to be a bullshit rule, in that case.

It gets better. You can score a try by grounding it with your torso. Doesn’t need to touch your hands or arms at all.

Now we just need the 7 tackle set rectified to only be awarded when the defending team catches the ball on the full in goal. They should have to earn the extra tackle. On top of this, 5 minute sin bins for non-violent offenses. Penalize blockers on every occasion. And this one is actually the rule, but it's never enforced for some reason. The defense should move forward when the tap is made, not when the whistle is blown.

So, which one of those rules will be the one they crack down on during Magic Round, after not policing it at all prior? Benefitting the teams playing on the last day, who probably already had the heads up...

10m compliance in general play​

Active defenders must have both feet in line or behind the referee when setting the 10-metre defensive line. Referees will have the option of awarding a full penalty for multiple 10m breaches without requiring the mandatory use of the sin bin. Referees can still use the sin bin if they consider breaches to be deliberate or cynical. The changes will give further clarity to officials and teams around what constitutes a breach of the rules.

^ Like that will ever stop Melbourne's legendary flying V defense.

Active defenders must have both feet in line or behind the referee when setting the 10-metre defensive line. Referees will have the option of awarding a full penalty for multiple 10m breaches without requiring the mandatory use of the sin bin. Referees can still use the sin bin if they consider breaches to be deliberate or cynical. The changes will give further clarity to officials and teams around what constitutes a breach of the rules.

Penrith now are the worst at it and Melbourne and the Roosters aren't far behind.

I feel like they will need 2 referees again to police this properly.

Activation of the 18th man after 2 failed HIAs should have been the rule from the start
And the 7 tackle set is such a dumb rule., but it leads to attacking opportunities - so it will stay.
One rule I have never liked is “played at the kick” when sticking out a leg in the defensive line. There is probably too much of a grey area to change, but to me it’s on the attacking team to get a clean kick through and instinctively blocking a kick should be rewarded.
As should charge downs. Especially as they would lead to attacking opportunities.

Annesley explains some of the rule "interpretation" changes for 2023

Annesley explains some of the rule "interpretation" changes for 2023

Like it matters the refs will completely butcher all of them and then old mate will be fronting up to explain how they got it completely right anyway

I'm taking bets.

how many rounds before the bunker intervenes when a player has his hair brushed by an opponent and stays down ... even though the new "interpretation" says they are only allowed to intervene (for foul play) if it act is serious enough to be put on report.

p.s. hasn't that been the rule for years anyway? and if so, did Annesley accidently just admit that the bunker hasn't been following the rules for the last couple of years?

Active Now

• Battler
  • Galah
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Mr Fourex
  • Foordy
  • Aldo
  • Fozz
  • Harry Sack
  • Nerd
  • I bleed Maroon
  • sooticus
  • Rambstien
  • Organix
  • bazza
  • cento
  • Brocko
  • Financeguy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Browny
  • Tim K
... and 30 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.