NRL Draft, Would you support one?

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
With all the talk of equaling out the comp and dividing the talent between teams, I'm becoming more and more in favour of the NRL have a rookie draft system. It works so well in other comps including the AFL and would be the right motivation for the NRL to invest in a real second tier as well.

As someone who has never looked into how a draft system really works, can you explain how this would apply in practice at NRL level?

Are all the juniors essentially not owned by any club and then at the start of the season each club gets one pick at a time until all juniors are assigned to a club?

The NRL would have to take control of all junior development. Huge cost. It would only work if the young blokes coming through agreed.

As Beads said, the NRL take control of the lower grades and feeder systems to begin with and once they reach a certain stage of their career and are ready for first grade or reach an agreed age they go into a pool of players.

Each team then gets picks based on where they finished the previous year, So a team like the Eels would have had first pick while a team like the Storm wouldn't pick until towards the end.

God no. I don't want a level playing field, I want good teams to develop good juniors and put them to work. I want better cap discounts for junior talent produced by the club.

The salary cap is bad enough.

If you can't manage a football team / football business, **** off.

I would be happy with it, if it meant getting rid of the salary cap.

No, I prefer to see clubs develop their juniors.

I've banged on about this for years - I'm 1000% in favour of a draft

Totally against it.

The comp is already too 'equal' as it is IMO.

A draft is essentially the only way a salary cap can truely work. I could see a system where once a player is too old for U/20s the club they play for gets the option of 1 (maybe 2) players. All other players go to the draft.

It would act as a disincentive for clubs to support junior rugby league in the area.

Unless the NRL took money out of the clubs' funding and had a stand alone junior development program then it would not be a good idea.

I think the N(SW)RL would direct most funding to NSW areas first and SEQ would suffer.

What subsligh said!

No way would it work here...

God no. I don't want a level playing field, I want good teams to develop good juniors and put them to work. I want better cap discounts for junior talent produced by the club.

The salary cap is bad enough.

If you can't manage a football team / football business, **** off.

Couldn't agree more with this post, even if it someone contained Zooey deschanel naked

Draft is a joke in aussie sport. I don't see why players should be forced into playing for a particular club. How can you say it works so well in the AFL when teams like Melbourne, Richmond, Brisbane have still been shithouse for 8 years despite multiple early picks and the wild disparity between the top and bottom teams each year when compared to the NRL? If the purpose of the draft is to level out the playing field, then we really don't need it given how even the NRL already is.

Shouldn't compare the AFL at present time, as the two new franchises got the majority of draft picks the last few years.

It further entrenches the mindset of playing for whoever will pay me

I want people playing for my club who love the club, not the paycheque

Rookies coming through get forced to play for who picks them instead of having a shot at playing for the club they love?

Hell no

It further entrenches the mindset of playing for whoever will pay me

I want people playing for my club who love the club, not the paycheque

Rookies coming through get forced to play for who picks them instead of having a shot at playing for the club they love?

Hell no

Hahahahahaha.

You think players care which club signs them?

"Oh sorry Newcastle but I'm a huge Brisbane fan so I'm not going to sign with you in the hope that Brisbane signs me even though they have shown no interest in me whatsoever"

Trust me, players who are serious about a career would play for anyone who is willing to sign them. From there, whoever has the most appeal gets their signature.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Thelmus
  • LittleDavey
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • lynx000
  • TimWhatley
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • Justwin
  • sooticus
  • levikaden
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.