NEWS NRL fumes after Brisbane Broncos fail to turn up at Magic Round promotional gig

NRMA is an exclusive partner, they would have breached their contract with NRMA potentially, do you think it would be worth losing them as a sponsor over a promotional thing for the NRL?
A quick word to the sponsor saying we'll be sure to rock the NRMA symbol the entire time we are there, would have killed them? Just think it looks poor and petulant and anyone worth his salt would have known the media were going to ravage them.

Even though, yes, I know they did give the NRL a heads up.

A quick word to the sponsor saying we'll be sure to rock the NRMA symbol the entire time we are there, would have killed them? Just think it looks poor and petulant and anyone worth his salt would have known the media were going to ravage them.

Even though, yes, I know they did give the NRL a heads up.

I still don’t think it works that way, but even if it does how do you even know the club didn’t do that and NRMA’s response wasn’t “You can rock whatever the **** you want but we have a contract and if there is a rep there under the Youi banner then we will take our money elsewhere”.

It would be like me doing a promo event for Midas. It's just not going to be allowed to occur.

Nice in theory but it simply isn’t true. The Broncs were the bench mark through the 90s and probably through to 2006 but the Storm have easily been the benchmark since due to cheating, etc. Nowadays, the Broncs are also rans and it has been that way now for about ten years, with one or two exceptions.
Melbourne aren't the benchmark due to cheating, that's just paperwork. The Storm's been the benchmark because they did everything better. The Storm continues to be either the top or next best.

Melbourne aren't the benchmark due to cheating, that's just paperwork. The Storm's been the benchmark because they did everything better. The Storm continues to be either the top or next best.
But didn't the Melbourne Storm model the
But didn't the Melbourne Storm model their club on the Broncos set up?

You honestly don't think the greatest salary cap rort in the history of the game has anything to do with Melbourne's success over that period?

I'm fine with Melbourne being rightly acknowledged for their success over the last 5-7 years or so. I think Bellamy is a masterful Coach and I think their ability to time and again identify talent both up and coming and also in guys who other clubs could not see that talent. I think they run a terrific match day and member experience and their front office do an outstanding job in undoubtedly the toughest market in the game. They are arguably the benchmark of professionalism both on and off the field and for that they should be rightly applauded.

All that said though, there is absolutely no doubt at all that their systematic cheating of the salary cap gave them a significant advantage over their opposition which they were able to exploit ruthlessly effectively.

They happened by chance or skill or a combination of both upon one the most outstanding combination of players in history at Norths in Smith, Slater, Cronk and Inglis. Bellamy and his staff were no doubt were instrumental in nurturing those guys into the stars they are today, but it remains an undisputed fact that they would simply not have been able to retain that talent within the same squad had they not been cheating the salary cap.

It's the success that the organisation achieved over this period, granted that the history books have now wiped, that regardless still influences our memory of Melbourne during that time and still helps to shape the perception of that club today.

I'm not in any way saying that they are only successful because they cheated. I'm also not disagreeing that they are the benchmark club in the game today in terms of how to run a football club both on and off the field.

I cannot however, for even a moment accept that there is not a sizeable portion of the success they enjoyed and the reputation and perception that they hold within the game today that they do not owe to their systematic cheating of the salary cap rules.

It's been almost a decade since they were busted now and in the fullness of time, I actually think you could mount a reasonable argument that for all the shame and disgrace they bought upon themselves at the time and rightfully should hang over them always, that perhaps it might still have all been worth it for the way it helped steel the resolve of the people at the club, the success and aura that people still associate with them subconsciously today, and the subsequent success that it helped to create for them which they are still bearing the fruits of today.

Last edited:
You honestly don't think the greatest salary cap rort in the history of the game has anything to do with Melbourne's success over that period?

I'm fine with Melbourne being rightly acknowledged for their success over the last 5-7 years or so. I think Bellamy is a masterful Coach and I think their ability to time and again identify talent both up and coming and also in guys who other clubs could not see that talent. I think they run a terrific match day and member experience and their front office do an outstanding job in undoubtedly the toughest market in the game. They are arguably the benchmark of professionalism both on and off the field and for that they should be rightly applauded.

All that said though, there is absolutely no doubt at all that their systematic cheating of the salary cap gave them a significant advantage over their opposition which they were able to exploit ruthlessly effectively.

They happened by chance or skill or a combination of both upon one the most outstanding combination of players in history at Norths in Smith, Slater, Cronk and Inglis. Bellamy and his staff were no doubt were instrumental in nurturing those guys into the stars they are today, but it remains an undisputed fact that they would simply not have been able to retain that talent within the same squad had they not been cheating the salary cap.

It's the success that the organisation achieved over this period, granted that the history books have now wiped, that regardless still influences our memory of Melbourne during that time and still helps to shape the perception of that club today.

I'm not in any way saying that they are only successful because they cheated. I'm also not disagreeing that they are the benchmark club in the game today in terms of how to run a football club both on and off the field.

I cannot however, for even a moment accept that there is not a sizeable portion of the success they enjoyed and the reputation and perception that they hold within the game today that they do not owe to their systematic cheating of the salary cap rules.

It's been almost a decade since they were busted now and in the fullness of time, I actually think you could mount a reasonable argument that for all the shame and disgrace they bought upon themselves at the time and rightfully should hang over them always, that perhaps it might still have all been worth it for the way it helped steel the resolve of the people at the club, the success and aura that people still associate with them subconsciously today, and the subsequent success that it helped to create for them which they are still bearing the fruits of today.
You're entitled to think whatever you want but please, don't be like so many others and read more into what I wrote than what's really there. As far as I'm concerned Melbourne didn't buy a shitload of talent, they developed it. They then cheated the cap to hang on to it as it grew more valuable. What they didn't buy was developed talent or potential, that was something they created from the raw materials. Yes, they bought a few good ones in the early days and yes, they probably wouldn't have been as successful without the cheating but love him or loathe him (more leaning towards loathe) Bellamy and the Storm have set benchmarks. I don't endorse the cheating, I think it's reprehensible but it doesn't change other things in my eyes.

You're entitled to think whatever you want but please, don't be like so many others and read more into what I wrote than what's really there. As far as I'm concerned Melbourne didn't buy a shitload of talent, they developed it. They then cheated the cap to hang on to it as it grew more valuable. What they didn't buy was developed talent or potential, that was something they created from the raw materials. Yes, they bought a few good ones in the early days and yes, they probably wouldn't have been as successful without the cheating but love him or loathe him (more leaning towards loathe) Bellamy and the Storm have set benchmarks. I don't endorse the cheating, I think it's reprehensible but it doesn't change other things in my eyes.
I'm not suggesting they bought in developed stars. Of course they were a huge factor in their recruitment and development into the players they eventually became. I said as much above and I would argue that point until the cows came home. There has been no club better at identifying and nurturing talent in the last 15 years than the Melbourne Storm. That said though, who is to say Cam Smith would not have found greatness elsewhere too, or Billy Slater for that matter? The fact they all found it at Melbourne at the same time though no doubt helps to shape your perception of Bellamy and of Melbourne but the fact remains we'll never know what they may have achieved in different environments and especially not as a combination playing on the same team, so for me that does put an asterisk next to some of their achievements. I admire Melbourne and Bellamy and I'd prefer the asterisk wasn't there so those achievements could be recognised in full in my eyes, but we've been robbed of ever really knowing because they chose to break the rules which was entirely within their control.

I'm not necessarily of the belief that the salary cap is fair in that sense. But the fact remains it exists and as far as we know the other clubs at the time were abiding by it and we know Melbourne were not. I'm simply saying that a huge part of our belief in their aura and success is undoubtedly shaped by their success during that time. Even though we're supposed to remember that it was removed from the history books because it was achieved illegally, I don't doubt that subconsciously for many fans that's just not possible to do.

I think it's entirely fair to say that many clubs are capable of identifying and producing amazing talent. You could probably argue that the Broncos may have achieved a similar level of success had they chosen to retain their greatest talent during that time regardless of compliance to the salary cap, and for me, that is where I think this aura around Melbourne and how long they've been the benchmark for is built somewhat on false perceptions for many people.

Last edited:
Having previously worked for the NRMA, i can tell you that their attitude and decision making is pretty piss poor at times. Someone inside their marketing and BDM department would have vito'd the broncos involvement and potentially threatened to pull sponsorship money. broncos would have had their hands tied.

I'm not suggesting they bought in developed stars. Of course they were a huge factor in their recruitment and development into the players they eventually became. I said as much above and I would argue that point until the cows came home. There has been no club better at identifying and nurturing talent in the last 15 years than the Melbourne Storm. That said though, who is to say Cam Smith would not have found greatness elsewhere too, or Billy Slater for that matter? The fact they all found it at Melbourne at the same time though no doubt helps to shape your perception of Bellamy and of Melbourne but the fact remains we'll never know what they may have achieved in different environments and especially not as a combination playing on the same team, so for me that does put an asterisk next to some of their achievements. I admire Melbourne and Bellamy and I'd prefer the asterisk wasn't there so those achievements could be recognised in full in my eyes, but we've been robbed of ever really knowing because they chose to break the rules which was entirely within their control.

I'm not necessarily of the belief that the salary cap is fair in that sense. But the fact remains it exists and as far as we know the other clubs at the time were abiding by it and we know Melbourne were not. I'm simply saying that a huge part of our belief in their aura and success is undoubtedly shaped by their success during that time. Even though we're supposed to remember that it was removed from the history books because it was achieved illegally, I don't doubt that subconsciously for many fans that's just not possible to do.

I think it's entirely fair to say that many clubs are capable of identifying and producing amazing talent. You could probably argue that the Broncos may have achieved a similar level of success had they chosen to retain their greatest talent during that time regardless of compliance to the salary cap, and for me, that is where I think this aura around Melbourne and how long they've been the benchmark for is built somewhat on false perceptions for many people.
I totally accept that's your view. I respect that. I agree in large part too but not in all parts. I have no wish to debate how they got there or whether the benchmark status is deserved I simply believe that on the field and within the onfield rules, the game rules they set benchmarks for other teams and coaches. Yes, the Storm were cheating ***** too!

Given how long they’ve been sponsors I have no dramas with it but given other clubs wheeled out retired players im sure we could’ve wheeled out Hodgo Hancock and Reed in a sponsorless polo, though

Given how long they’ve been sponsors I have no dramas with it but given other clubs wheeled out retired players im sure we could’ve wheeled out Hodgo Hancock and Reed in a sponsorless polo, though

that could also breach our contract with NRMA, by being at an official event without displaying the sponsorship that they pay for

that could also breach our contract with NRMA, by being at an official event without displaying the sponsorship that they pay for

Suppose if I was paying $1M a year I’d enforce that too so yeah I guess so!

Suppose if I was paying $1M a year I’d enforce that too so yeah I guess so!

apparently the major sponsor for us is closer to $3 million a year .... and for that i would certainly be enforcing every single right i had

We had more ex players show up than any other club. They were just wearing other teams jerseys

Active Now

• Xzei
  • bb_gun
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncosgirl
  • Browny
  • Brocko
  • Skathen
  • ChewThePhatt
  • sooticus
  • Mustafur
  • Spoon
  • BroncosAlways
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.