NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much will Granville being out affect the Cowboys v Tigers?
He's a huge part of their side, but Thurston could win the game all on his own if he gets in that sort of mood too.

NRL told the media last week the salary cap was going to be $8.3m, so they're either lying or it's still a rough estimate.

That was plus marquee plus second tier etc, so probably correct.

So there's not going to be a year with no salary cap?

If it comes to this, I deadset will give up on the game. The varying level of incompetence to date has almost pushed me over the line and a season without level playing fields because of gross incompetence would be the the final straw.

I'm with you, but the reality is we should have all walked after the Storm bullshit.

We just all love the game too much. We'll never walk away. We might have half a season of indifference but we're too invested, the slightest chance of improvement in our team, or, better yet, drama, and we're back in the thick of it.

And the NRL know this. So they don't give a ****.

Sadly this is true, though, I must say though that if it weren't for BHQ, I suspect I wouldn't be watching at all this year.

This is the first year that I haven't participated in a tipping comp or SuperCoach since about 2008ish. SVRL is perfect atm as I don't really need to put in the work I was for SuperCoach.

I'm only watching Broncos games as I'm so fed up with the refs that I can't be arsed putting myself through any more games. When I start watching another game in the round, it takes me a bout 5-10 minutes before I hand over the remote to my partner and say, "I don't even care, watch whatever you want."

It feels to me that everyone is earning so much money in the game now that nobody speaks out about the bullshit as they are getting what matters most to number 1, their pay cheque.

NRL Anonymous.

"Hi, I know the NRL is rigged, and it makes me so angry, but I can't stop watching it. My wife and kids have left, I've lost the house, my job, all I have is a shitty one-bedroom rental over my head, the TV, Foxtel, some old Big League magazines, and some Footy cards from 2007".

"You've certainly rang the right people. This is a tough time, but with our help we'll get you off the League forever".

"Oh I don't want that, I was hoping you had some inside knowledge on Milford. What the ****'s up with him? Oh, I've been banned from BHQ too".

If it comes to this, I deadset will give up on the game. The varying level of incompetence to date has almost pushed me over the line and a season without level playing fields because of gross incompetence would be the the final straw.

Not wanting to lose you as a supporter Soup, but if it's the level playing field stopping you from going, you may as well leave

What annoys me about the salary cap is all the talk about it existing to ensure a level playing field, but the whole time the field aint level anyway

Some teams play top contenders twice and spoon contenders once, while other teams get the opposite

Some teams get savaged by Origin rep while others don't

And to compound the Origin issue, the NRL will make sure a depleted side will play a near full strength side (Brisbane Vs Warriors anyone? How many years in a row has that happened?)

I think a year without a cap might actually help Brisbane counteract some of the unevenness

Give Cronk 3 million for next year if there's no salary cap. I'm sure he can convince his partner with that cash.

Anyone who's over the cap starts off on negative points. 6 points per $500k over. Might be the only way.

It's only a year. You have to trim it by the year after. They did it in the AFL as they couldn't come to a happy medium. Clubs aren't going to be going silly with it

@meady Are you able to tell us if Hayne is well liked by his teammates or not? Also is it true he tries to hide in the toilets at training?

@meady Are you able to tell us if Hayne is well liked by his teammates or not? Also is it true he tries to hide in the toilets at training?
Also, what his current dream is?

Not wanting to lose you as a supporter Soup, but if it's the level playing field stopping you from going, you may as well leave

What annoys me about the salary cap is all the talk about it existing to ensure a level playing field, but the whole time the field aint level anyway

Some teams play top contenders twice and spoon contenders once, while other teams get the opposite

Some teams get savaged by Origin rep while others don't

And to compound the Origin issue, the NRL will make sure a depleted side will play a near full strength side (Brisbane Vs Warriors anyone? How many years in a row has that happened?)

I think a year without a cap might actually help Brisbane counteract some of the unevenness

St Merge anyone. I looked at their draw properly last night and they have been gifted a top 4 opportunity.

FMD I think Wynnum could scrape into the 8 with that draw.

@meady Also is it true he tries to hide in the toilets at training?

I think you may have him confused with Danny Weidler.

I was just thinking some stuff through (read: conspiracy theories) and I joined some dots that either we've all missed or I'm late to the party for:

* We don't have a Video Ref anymore. We have a Review Official and a Senior Review Official. Now since the Bunker was brought in, these guys aren't on-site, they're holed up in the Bunker, obviously deep underground and guarded by heavies.

* Not long ago it was revealed that the "Video Ref", who are actually those Review Officials, don't just intervene when called upon, but effectively manage the game from afar. There is a constant line of communication between him (them?) and the on-field ref, giving tips on anything from on-side, to ruck speed, to how content Thurston is with the calls.

Up until now, when we've copped someone like Patten as the "Video Ref", even though some of the calls we've seen have been shockers, at least they've still had to work in the relatively tight constrains on what the Video Ref can adjudicate on. So really, only in-goal / try-scoring situations. But in reality, that's not the case. With the communication between the RO and the on-field ref, a person like Patten actually has complete control of the game - able to tip the ref off on any situations they see fit. So all of those obviously arbitrary penalties, like off-sides, ruck penalties, etc, are potentially getting fed to the on-field refs by Patten.

Does anyone else feel really disturbed by this? That even though we often joke about conspiracies, about refs having a mandate to placate certain teams, to even up penalty counts, about keeping the contest close, for that to be even remotely true you'd have to have a lot of people complicit, in terms of all all the on-field refs, touch judges, for all games, we'd be talking maybe 30 - 40 people? However, by introducing the Bunker, this technology that is supposed to make things fairer and more consistent, and by allowing those in the Box to manage games remotely, all of a sudden we're talking less than 10 people, maybe as little as 4 or 5, who can influence the entire competition, effectively every play of every game, from Round One all the way through to the GF. So, again, are we still calling this consistent incompetence?

I was just thinking some stuff through (read: conspiracy theories) and I joined some dots that either we've all missed or I'm late to the party for:

* We don't have a Video Ref anymore. We have a Review Official and a Senior Review Official. Now since the Bunker was brought in, these guys aren't on-site, they're holed up in the Bunker, obviously deep underground and guarded by heavies.

* Not long ago it was revealed that the "Video Ref", who are actually those Review Officials, don't just intervene when called upon, but effectively manage the game from afar. There is a constant line of communication between him (them?) and the on-field ref, giving tips on anything from on-side, to ruck speed, to how content Thurston is with the calls.

Up until now, when we've copped someone like Patten as the "Video Ref", even though some of the calls we've seen have been shockers, at least they've still had to work in the relatively tight constrains on what the Video Ref can adjudicate on. So really, only in-goal / try-scoring situations. But in reality, that's not the case. With the communication between the RO and the on-field ref, a person like Patten actually has complete control of the game - able to tip the ref off on any situations they see fit. So all of those obviously arbitrary penalties, like off-sides, ruck penalties, etc, are potentially getting fed to the on-field refs by Patten.

Does anyone else feel really disturbed by this? That even though we often joke about conspiracies, about refs having a mandate to placate certain teams, to even up penalty counts, about keeping the contest close, for that to be even remotely true you'd have to have a lot of people complicit, in terms of all all the on-field refs, touch judges, for all games, we'd be talking maybe 30 - 40 people? However, by introducing the Bunker, this technology that is supposed to make things fairer and more consistent, and by allowing those in the Box to manage games remotely, all of a sudden we're talking less than 10 people, maybe as little as 4 or 5, who can influence the entire competition, effectively every play of every game, from Round One all the way through to the GF. So, again, are we still calling this consistent incompetence?
Yup, it is worrying. I just have to hope it isn't too true. Otherwise why watch?

National Rasslin' League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Mustafur
  • Broncosgirl
  • Broncorob
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.