NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sydney centric stupidity is what continue to hold this game back ffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Sydney centric stupidity is what continue to hold this game back ffs.

It was such a shame Super League didn't work out. In fact, I reckon if Super League had have continued instead of the NSWRL, this game would be hugely popular nationally and internationally now. Stupid backward thinking idiots that run this game have no idea just how good this product could be with a bit of forward thinking.

It was such a shame Super League didn't work out. In fact, I reckon if Super League had have continued instead of the NSWRL, this game would be hugely popular nationally and internationally now. Stupid backward thinking idiots that run this game have no idea just how good this product could be with a bit of forward thinking.
How would playing under the banner of SL changed the way the game is viewed internationally? The Aussie public didn't even accept it. RL is not the type of sport to ever attract a huge following across the globe. It's front on physicality only appeals to a limited section of the population. It's a working class sport and unfortunately it will never be anything more. It will grow in pockets in certain countries but Australia will always be the sport's epicenter.

Completely agree. With Super League the idea was right but the execution was sorely lacking. They also tried to aim too high, too early. Compare that to the AFL and its a shocking look for Rugby League.

It begs the question - what exactly has Rugby League achieved in 20 years? Setting up the Melbourne Storm and 24 hour league channel with every game televised. That's pretty much it.

The AFL have two teams in QLD, two teams in Sydney, two teams in Adelaide, two teams in WA...give them another 20 years and they'll have a foothold in New Zealand, maybe even southeast Asia.

Will Rugby League even exist in 20 years? I think the day will come when AFL and even A-League will usurp Rugby League on the east coast. I always thought it would be a few generations down the track.

The incompetence of the NRL are certainly speeding up its demise.

How would playing under the banner of SL changed the way the game is viewed internationally? The Aussie public didn't even accept it. RL is not the type of sport to ever attract a huge following across the globe. It's front on physicality only appeals to a limited section of the population. It's a working class sport and unfortunately it will never be anything more. It will grow in pockets in certain countries but Australia will always be the sport's epicenter.

Lots of good points here too, @Accept The Aussie public didn't accept it because it kicked off an ugly civil war. Fans hated the idea of two competitions and 1997 was a hard year to take seriously for Rugby League.

I think it does have potential to make a bigger dent globally. There is a world cup in America next decade. Americans like a physical game and get excited about our players not wearing protective gear. Obviously it will never stride alongside the giants of NFL, NBA, MLB etc but I think RL has greater potential than NSW and QLD.

Dragons have been issued with a 10k breech notice for Mary saying the decisions made by officials were embarrassing and incompetent

Dragons have been issued with a 10k breech notice for Mary saying the decisions made by officials were embarrassing and incompetent

Anyone have $10k lying around and willing to hold my beer?

Anyone have $10k lying around and willing to hold my beer?

I'll hold your beer ... but can't help you with the 10k

besides you can say whatever you like ... the NRL won't give a shit what you think though, lol

I'll hold your beer ... but can't help you with the 10k

besides you can say whatever you like ... the NRL won't give a shit what you think though, lol

Yeah. It's a bit like that...

1.jpg

;)

If I were the Dragons, I would counter-sue the NRL. I mean, it isn't a breach, slander, libel or defamation if it is in fact true and when it comes to refereeing incompetence and embarrassment, it would be so ridiculously simple to prove true.

The other thing is, it would open up the potential for the NRL to be legally scrutinized for involvement in manufacturing results, corruption and even, more seriously, match-fixing either through deliberate 'management' or incidental through incompetence.

I know it won't happen because it would have the potential to blow the NRL to smithereens but I would love to see the Dragons challenge it, particularly in light of the other fact that (as far as I'm aware) Sticky wasn't fined for his (also easily provable) rant. Was he?

They had a game in Russia against the Americans that attracted 30,000. Imagine the game in parts of Africa or the middle east. The problem with league isn't the game itself or the its lack of marketability, but the limited vision of its administration. Before any of that though is the correction of their complete failure to develop the game in Australia, particularly the AFL states. Why isn't the schoolboy competition, shown in the footy show? Why aren't the schoolboy finals broadcast in prime time? Why isnt there a recipricant national women's competition?
Imagine a Victorian or south Australian school kid watching other kids from schools in their state being shown on TV in competition and holding their own. It would inspire me to play, after all who doesn't want to be a star? Have each state play teams against each other in their state until a select group of teams are left and let them come together in a televised school carnival during the origin weeks or in the NRL finals.
None of this has happened though, as it all costs money, and the administrators are yet to understand that investing in the games development should be beyond qld and NSW borders and offer more than an appearance of a fringe 1st grader at a school or club.

If I were the Dragons, I would counter-sue the NRL. I mean, it isn't a breach, slander, libel or defamation if it is in fact true and when it comes to refereeing incompetence and embarrassment, it would be so ridiculously simple to prove true.

The other thing is, it would open up the potential for the NRL to be legally scrutinized for involvement in manufacturing results, corruption and even, more seriously, match-fixing either through deliberate 'management' or incidental through incompetence.

I know it won't happen because it would have the potential to blow the NRL to smithereens but I would love to see the Dragons challenge it, particularly in light of the other fact that (as far as I'm aware) Sticky wasn't fined for his (also easily provable) rant. Was he?
So even the fining is inconsistent.

Des once again playing Chase Stanley in the halves, because that worked well last week.

Is he trying to get sacked? Is he just doing this to force the board's hand? Seeing how much he can **** things up before they decide to step in.

It's like that episode of Seinfeld when George is trying to get sacked by the Yankees

Des is trying to get sacked so he can get his payout, surely?

Either that or he is useless

Veteran players may hold the key to solving rugby league’s pay war.
As NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg prepares to meet some of Sydney’s most influential club powerbrokers early next week, it is understood the NRL may be ready to give ground on the veteran player allowance as a way of appeasing concerns over the salary cap figure for next season.
The NRL has already indicated the proposed cap figure of $9.2 million will include a $300,000 allowance for long-serving players. However, that figure could yet be moved outside the cap, leaving clubs with the option of spending the money at their discretion.
That would have the effect of lifting player payments for top squads of 30 players to potentially $9.5m, a figure that is expected to sit more comfortably with some of the disgruntled clubs and go a significant way to appeasing the players’ union.
The Rugby League Players Association, which has foreshadowed challenging the legal validity of the cap if it is unable to find common ground with the NRL, is likely to approve of the change given its proposal suggested the veteran player allowance should sit outside the cap. In its proposal, Power in Numbers, the RLPA suggested 10 per cent of a player’s contract should sit outside the cap if they were deemed long-serving or development players.
Long-serving players were defined as players who had spent eight years at one club continuously or have 10 years’ continuous service across the NRL.
Development players were defined as those who were under 22 and had spent two or more years in the club’s feeder system prior to receiving an NRL contract. While there was no limit in the RLPA proposal, the NRL is likely to retain the $300,000 threshold for long-serving players.
It is understood the NRL and RLPA have held further talks this week and there is a degree of confidence among both that they can reach an agreement on the financial details of the collective bargaining agreement in time for a proposal to be taken to a meeting of NRL chief executives and chairs in Sydney on Thursday.
Before that meeting, Greenberg is expected to attend lunch with a handful of NSW-based chairs and chief executives in Sydney on Monday. At that meeting — Canterbury chairman Ray Dib has organised the get-together and invited representatives from Penrith, St George Illawarra, South Sydney, the Sydney Roosters and Parramatta — they are expected to reinforce their push to have the salary cap increased for next season beyond the currently tabled $9.2m.
There is support among some for a grandfathering of the salary cap over the five years of the next CBA, although it is unlikely to receive the backing of the NRL.
Under that proposal, clubs could start next season over the cap as long as they spent subsequent years under the cap to compensate. If that were allowed to happen, as it was following the Super League war when players signed inflated contracts, it could mean a club wins next year’s premiership as much as $500,000 over the salary cap.
That is unlikely to win support from the NRL, let alone clubs who are currently under the $9.2m figure and waiting to pick up players from clubs that have overspent.
The more likely scenario appears to be excluding the veteran-player allowance from the cap and giving clubs the option to spend that money above the $9.2m. The allowance could remain outside the cap over the five years of the CBA or it could be slowly incorporated over the lifetime of the agreement.
Every club in the NRL would have the ability to use a veteran or development-player allowance based on their existing and anticipated rosters for next season.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...y/news-story/45fa873800c49aa08c52ed1c99bc6491

So basically an extra 300K on the cap then.

It's like that episode of Seinfeld when George is trying to get sacked by the Yankees

Des is trying to get sacked so he can get his payout, surely?

Either that or he is useless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• broncotville
  • NSW stables
  • davidp
  • Allo
  • Santa
  • Morepudding
  • broncs30
  • Hurrijo
  • Johnny92
  • Bish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.