NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
CLUBS' $9.6M CAP SCRAP

By Dean Ritchie

THEY dined over Chinese food, but now five NRL club bosses need to convince their colleagues to crack open their fortune cookies and spend more of their money.

The attendees at Bulldogs chairman Ray Dib’s 90-minute invite-only lunch inside Canterbury Leagues Club unanimously agreed the NRL’s proposed $9.2 million salary cap should be raised to $9.6 million next season, putting them on a collision course with the governing body and some rival clubs.

The $400,000 increase is made up of a $300,000 veteran player allowance and a $100,000 car allowance that was originally intended to be part of the NRL’s proposed $9.2 million cap.

The club bosses who joined Dib — Canberra chief executive Don Furner, Cronulla chief executive Lyall Gorman, St George Illawarra chairman Brian Johnston and Sydney Roosters chief executive Joe Kelly — all refused to speak publicly last night. But they will have to be very vocal in closed-door meetings with other clubs, and try to sell at least seven of them on the merits of dipping into their $12.5 million NRL grant to find the $400,000 increase.

At least 12 of the 16 clubs must agree to the new collective bargaining agreement.

If the salary cap is not lifted, the five club bosses may move to block attempts to pass through the $9.2 million figure, given some teams have already overspent that amount.

However, clubs such as the Wests Tigers, Manly, Newcastle and Gold Coast may be reluctant to lose an extra $400,000 from their grant.

Therefore, if there is a concerted push for a $9.6 million salary cap, they could countermove to block the higher figure.
Otherwise, if they agree to the richer cap but choose not to spend the money, their playing rosters could be $400,000 worse off than rival clubs.

Parramatta, South Sydney, Penrith and NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg were all invited to yesterday’s lunch but did not attend, while Manly and the Wests Tigers were not invited. The NRL also met with the Rugby League Players Association yesterday to discuss the revised $9.6 million figure.

The salary cap will again be discussed at the chairmen and CEOs meeting in Sydney on Thursday. There, clubs will be seeking further information from Greenberg.

Several clubs are still frustrated over the NRL’s planned $9.2 million salary cap offer, having budgeted for $9.5 million. That’s despite receiving an email in April that would be the likely figure.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...a/news-story/5a4c73ea3ff2a7d0d73fdfef03b70d32

the bolded bit shows very poor management by the clubs (unfortunately that is typical of most NRL clubs). you get told to budget for a salary cap of 9.2 million, but disregard that and budget for 9.5 million instead ... any club that budgeted for 9.5 million deserves everything they get.

Also, i'm not sure why the Bulldogs held a meeting and only invited some clubs. no non-Sydney club was invited (and Manly and Tigers weren't invited). if those clubs band together they can block the Bulldogs push for a 9.6 million cap. also knowing that they could benefit from them having to shed players next season to become cap compliant

the bolded bit shows very poor management by the clubs (unfortunately that is typical of most NRL clubs). you get told to budget for a salary cap of 9.2 million, but disregard that and budget for 9.5 million instead ... any club that budgeted for 9.5 million deserves everything they get.

Also, i'm not sure why the Bulldogs held a meeting and only invited some clubs. no non-Sydney club was invited (and Manly and Tigers weren't invited). if those clubs band together they can block the Bulldogs push for a 9.6 million cap. also knowing that they could benefit from them having to shed players next season to become cap compliant

I think we budgeted for 9.5 tbh
Clubs will band together especially if they are already over the cap. The whole salary cap fiasco has been pathetically handled. This should have been settled before round 1 kick off.

I think we budgeted for 9.5 tbh
Clubs will band together especially if they are already over the cap. The whole salary cap fiasco has been pathetically handled. This should have been settled before round 1 kick off.

your right it should have been ... it looks to be a common problem with sports these days (at least in Australia). Cricket have had their issues, as well as NRL and I think AFL even had their issues.

**** the clubs that have overspent, even if we're included in that. The NRL seems to have not only known for a long time, but made the clubs aware a long time ago, what the cap would be. The RLPA and the clubs may have been wanting more, but it was never guaranteed, so too bad. The NRL may be poorly run but **** me if the clubs, and specifically the ones that have done the wrong thing, pressure the NRL in to bailing them out of their own fucking messes.

...and the clubs will be successful. The NRL has no backbone when it comes to anything important, expect them to fold faster than a house of cards.

...and the clubs will be successful. The NRL has no backbone when it comes to anything important, expect them to fold faster than a house of cards.

since Grant is stepping down the clubs won't be able to use that threat any more... so fingers crossed that the NRL hold firm.

Greenburg was invited to the Bulldogs meeting but didn't show

since Grant is stepping down the clubs won't be able to use that threat any more... so fingers crossed that the NRL hold firm.

Greenburg was invited to the Bulldogs meeting but didn't show

He would have been filled in and briefed though. He is not stupid, incompetent and biased but not stupid, he would know how bad that would look to do that even though he will no doubt be looking for ways to make it happen in the background.

Seriously, why do you guys bother replying, clearly that is all Jaypee wanted, a reaction. It is obvious to all and sundry why that was bad.

It was stupid but it didn't deserve a suspension.

It was stupid but it didn't deserve a suspension.

Would you have said the same thing if he knees Guerra or Watson in the head and knocks them out/injures them badly?
It was a complete brain fart and deserved a few weeks

I'm just surprised Bellamy hasn't come out and declared that it should be completely legal. Unless I missed it.

Would you have said the same thing if he knees Guerra or Watson in the head and knocks them out/injures them badly?
It was a complete brain fart and deserved a few weeks

But it didn't. It is the same with any illegal act. When is the last time a player got suspended for a swinging arm to the head that missed, bloke throwing wild haymakers that didn't connect or somebody sliding in studs up and missing. Has been like that for a while. MRP take that into account. Have no doubt that if he connected and injured a bloke he would of got a week or two but he didn't and that is how they rule.

An example was when McLean got suspended for his lifting tackle on McKinnon that broke his neck. That tackle is not even in the top 100 worst tackles in the last 5 years but because he got hurt they gave him 7+ weeks. Offangue's and Grahams in the last few weeks were worse but because the bloke got up they got reduced punishments. It is not just NRL it is limited too. Happens across all sports.

From over a week ago but gave me a chuckle

THIS is the mystery man who enraged Canterbury forward David Klemmer inside the Bulldogs dressing-room after Thursday night’s loss to Parramatta.
The Saturday Telegraph can reveal the fan at the centre of ugly allegations about the blow-up inside the Canterbury sheds is 38-year-old Paul Aoun.
Aoun revealed his conversation with Klemmer started calmly but became aggressive when he called on the Bulldogs forward to add an offload to his game.
A Bulldogs football club member, Aoun repeated his challenge to Klemmer several times.
The giant NSW forward saw red — and waited for Aoun at the dressing-room door.
“People said I shouldn’t have said it but I was just talking footy. It was actually nice at the start, I was telling him he was doing really well and making a lot of metres,” Aoun said.
“Then I said in the conversation that it would be nice to develop an offload. He said it was wet and I said it was, but I said, overall, if he could add an offload he would be more damaging.
“After that, a few seconds later, he walked past me with Josh Reynolds, Matt Frawley and Chase Stanley and he looked at me really aggressively. His eyes were wide open and he said, ‘Why don’t you keep your opinions to yourself’.
“He tried to intimidate me. I said, ‘Please, why don’t you just learn how to offload’. I wasn’t going to take that. If he wants to be a man and get the gloves on, I’m happy to do that.
“Then he said, ‘Could you do any f ... en better’? It was very aggressive and we know Klemmer has a bad temper.
“He then went to the door and called me over. He stood there for two minutes. I just laughed it off. This is all on footage. They can investigate if they want. I don’t want to be a laughing stock. Abusing people isn’t my nature in general-day life. I don’t do that. I have a lot of respect for Klemmer as a player.
“I’ve nothing to hide. I’m a family man. I don’t want to rubbish Klemmer — he’s a family man. I’m not scared. I’m a decent bloke.”
Bulldogs CEO Raelene Castle said the club had no problems with Klemmer’s behaviour.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n/news-story/cdbda117af5df571d86bc9034ddceb29

But it didn't. It is the same with any illegal act. When is the last time a player got suspended for a swinging arm to the head that missed, bloke throwing wild haymakers that didn't connect or somebody sliding in studs up and missing. Has been like that for a while. MRP take that into account. Have no doubt that if he connected and injured a bloke he would of got a week or two but he didn't and that is how they rule.

An example was when McLean got suspended for his lifting tackle on McKinnon that broke his neck. That tackle is not even in the top 100 worst tackles in the last 5 years but because he got hurt they gave him 7+ weeks. Offangue's and Grahams in the last few weeks were worse but because the bloke got up they got reduced punishments. It is not just NRL it is limited too. Happens across all sports.

I get your point but that's like saying it's ok to speed as long as you don't kill someone. Go as fast as you like.

Foul play, regardless if it results in an injury or not, should be punished regardless.

That way it discourages any more foul play regardless.

Deciding suspensions based on injuries incurred sounds monumentally stupid but hey it's the NRL.

I get your point but that's like saying it's ok to speed as long as you don't kill someone. Go as fast as you like.

Foul play, regardless if it results in an injury or not, should be punished regardless.

That way it discourages any more foul play regardless.

Deciding suspensions based on injuries incurred sounds monumentally stupid but hey it's the NRL.

You get punished for speeding though just not as much as if you killed somebody. Nobody is saying it is ok. You just don't get as harsh a punishment. It is the same principle within the nrl with foul play incidents. You get a lighter suspension or fine if it doesn't hurt somebody. No problem with it

Interesting article I read this morning:

TV rights for major sports at 'tipping point' after Seven Network loss

There are fears the value of the next broadcast deals for sports such as rugby league and cricket could plateau or even plummet after the Seven Network posted a $745 million loss for the financial year.

Global Media and Sports boss Colin Smith, who previously helped the NRL, AFL and ARU broker media deals, has echoed the view of Seven West Media boss Tim Worner, who claimed sports rights had reached a "tipping point".

Seven West Media's overall revenue was down 2.7 per cent to $1.6 billion in comparison to the previous year, which included the Rio Olympics. The free-to-air network invests heavily in sports, including the AFL and tennis' Australian Open, with the shock result raising fresh questions about the future broadcast value of those and other sports.

The Nine Network holds the broadcast rights for cricket and rugby league. Nine has had the rights for home cricket internationals since 1979, although the current deal will expire at the end of the 2017-18 summer. The Big Bash rights are about to be up for renegotiation and uncertainty over the future of current rights holder Channel Ten will likely decrease the competitive tension in the market.

Nine's new NRL contract kicks in for the 2018 season and runs for the next five years, a deal that – in partnership with those done with News Corp, Fox Sports and Telstra – will bring in $1.8 billion for the NRL. While that sum represents a 70 per cent increase on the previous rights deal, there could be a downside in the future.

"We are fast approaching the tipping point," Smith said.

"The broadcasters' costs are rising and by acquiring content such as AFL and NRL they're not getting more revenue. That's not sustainable long-term.

"Then you have the issue of whether one of the free-to-air networks survive, and if it does, in what form?

"It's not like there's a feeding frenzy out there attempting to acquire rights.

"The idea that there is going to be significant growth going forward is going to be challenged."

Rugby league is the only major sport without a collective bargaining agreement after cricket and AFL recently struck revenue-sharing arrangements with their players. The Rugby League Players' Association has been pushing for a 29 per cent slice of the pie, which would mean a share of any upside or downside in revenue in the ensuing five years.

Smith said the only way the NRL could ensure an increase in its next deal was by adding premium content. He suggested a team in the Brisbane or south-east Queensland regions could achieve this.

"If you're not increasing your television audience, and therefore making yourself more attractive, how can broadcasters continue to pay more money?" Smith asked. "It's not possible. One of the challenges you have in rugby league is that TV audiences have dropped. While AFL is up about 2 per cent, in the NRL, Fox Sports is slightly up, but channel Nine is significantly down.

"That makes it tough to think that come 2021-22, there will be significant increases.

"Television is more important for rugby league than AFL because their attendances, save for Origin and the grand final, are comparably low."

Worner's "tipping point" warning came on Wednesday morning as the chief executive blamed his company's poor performance on a "tough market".

"Given changes in the market, price rises are not sustainable. We have to reach a position where the economics stack up for all parties [and] where the power and reach that free-to-air brings [to sports]," Worner said.

He pointed to the popularity of the Big Bash as an example of why networks should be rewarded for growing the popularity of sports.

"These sports code have to start to recognise the power of what we bring to them," Worner said.

There are hopes that "disruptors", such as Netflix, Google, Facebook and Amazon, will enter the race for future sporting content, therefore pushing up the price.

While Smith said their entry into the market was inevitable, it might not happen in time for the next NRL rights cycle.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...seven-network-boss-20170816-gxxl5o.htmlkjbkjb

So much good stuff in there. I bolded a couple of interesting points.

I've been saying for a while. If the NRL think their precious TV ratings are going to save them then they're in for a shock.

Interesting to note that while we all know Channel Nine are haemorrhaging viewers they are not necessarily switching over to Fox as they are only slightly increasing. Leaving the game altogether?

Remove State of Origin and Grand Finals and the NRL aren't even in the fight.

I said in another thread, if the NRL want to be known as entertainment then they will be competing with giants like Netflix - who may even end up with the rights.

Personally I've experienced this. A couple of Sundays ago I had the choice to watch a shitty Sunday game, between two shitty teams, controlled by a shitty referee and talked over by shitty commentators.

Or I could've went and watched Dunkirk. Which I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Lurker
  • Battler
  • The True King
  • Financeguy
  • phoenix
  • Brocko
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • BroncoFan94
  • Bucking Beads
  • GCBRONCO
  • Xzei
  • The Don
  • Fitzy
  • Griffo
  • Foordy
  • Manlyman
  • Broncorob
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.