NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years since last Grand Final appearance

23 – Canberra Raiders (1994)
16 – Newcastle Knights (2001)
14 – Penrith Panthers (2003)
12 – Wests Tigers (2005)
10 – Gold Coast Titans (never played in a Grand Final)
8 – Parramatta Eels (2009)
7 – St George Illawarra Dragons (2010)
6 – New Zealand Warriors (2011)
4 – Sydney Roosters (2013)
4 – Manly Sea Eagles (2013)
3 – Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs (2014)
3 – South Sydney Rabbitohs (2014)
2 – Brisbane Broncos (2015)
1 – Cronulla Sharks (2016)
0 – Melbourne Storm (2017)
0 – North Queensland Cowboys (2017)

Years since last Premiership

31 – Parramatta Eels (1986)
23 – Canberra Raiders (1994)
22 – New Zealand Warriors (never won a premiership)
16 – Newcastle Knights (2001)
14 – Penrith Panthers (2003)
13 – Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs (2004)
12 – Wests Tigers (2005)
11 – Brisbane Broncos (2006)
10 – Gold Coast Titans (never won a premiership)
7 – St George Illawarra Dragons (2010)
6 – Manly Sea Eagles (2011)
5 – Melbourne Storm (2012)
4 – Sydney Roosters (2013)
3 – South Sydney Rabbitohs (2014)
2 – North Queensland Cowboys (2015)
1 – Cronulla Sharks (2016)

is this the modern day brown paper bag?

"The Storm held the lease to the house since the club’s inception, so a heap of players had lived in it. It was only a five-minute drive to training. The problem was that when Cooper, Bill and I were living there the lease expired and the Storm decided not to renew it."

https://www.playersvoice.com.au/ryan-hoffman-the-real-story-of-the-big-three/#ZEzAF9FTiP8Is52r.97

Every club has that for their young development players, especially those that have moved from interstate, have no family, and don't earn enough to pay for their own accommodation etc.

Personally I would think it smart, if every club arranged permanent accommodation for emerging, signed players playing under 21s as part of the deal, along with educational opportunities or on-the-job traineeships, supervised by staff dedicated to a successful transition for players, post professional sport. Most of them will never make it unfortunately, but if guided properly, should leave emboldened for the experience rather than embittered.
I know the broncos have systems in place, but wonder how universal they are, across the clubs? I'd like to think NRL is smart enough to cherry pick from the best club's programs and promote them. Not sure how true it is though. Someone better informed might like to offer their wisdom on these things. I'm hoping its a lot more hands on than when I was a kid.

Personally I would think it smart, if every club arranged permanent accommodation for emerging, signed players playing under 21s as part of the deal, along with educational opportunities or on-the-job traineeships, supervised by staff dedicated to a successful transition for players, post professional sport. Most of them will never make it unfortunately, but if guided properly, should leave emboldened for the experience rather than embittered.
I know the broncos have systems in place, but wonder how universal they are, across the clubs? I'd like to think NRL is smart enough to cherry pick from the best club's programs and promote them. Not sure how true it is though. Someone better informed might like to offer their wisdom on these things. I'm hoping its a lot more hands on than when I was a kid.

21's?

Any emerging player signed with the club. I played for brothers (then a feeder club) but felt a little lost in the system. My parents were breaking up through the middle of it and then my mum got cancer, so there may have been more offered and it was lost in the chaos. I made my own way in the end. I was knocked out about 3 times in under 19's (this was the 90's), one of them I was uncouncious for half an hour. So I guess nobody really wanted me playing after that other than me, and who knows what might have happened, injury wise if I continued.
I guess it worked out the way it was supposed to but it still would have been nice to have had a person there to atleast offer direction.
Now, they seem to be a lot better at handling young players.

No problems doing it for second tier players or development players, but looks like it was done during the 2006-2008 period if my maths is right. First Graders.

So the DT have released their list of the 50 most influential people involved in RL. Some real crack-ups:

1.Cameron Smith
2.Todd Greenburg
3.Peter Beattie
4. Michael Miller
5. George Peponis
6. Nick Weeks
7. Phil Rothfield- For managing to snare the much sought after exclusive interview with Tim Simona.
8. Phil Gould

12. Ray Hadley

15. Matty Johns

18. Paul Kent

24. Johnathan Thurston

26. Wayne Bennett

28. Craig Bellamy

32. Darren Lockyer

In related news I've complied a list of the most influential figures involved in rugby league in Brisbane.

1. Wayne Bennett
2. Fozz
3. Kevin Walters
4. Paul White

And so on...

In related news I've complied a list of the most influential figures involved in rugby league in Brisbane.

1. Wayne Bennett
2. Fozz
3. Kevin Walters
4. Paul White

And so on...

Where am I?

Where am I?

You are number one in China.

hECD5AE2B

The NRL will stage an unprecedented four double-headers across four major cities in Australia and New Zealand as part of the 2018 NRL Telstra Premiership.

Sydney's ANZ Stadium and Auckland's Mt Smart Stadium will host double headers in 2018, along with Perth Stadium and Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium, all in the first 10 rounds of the 2018 Premiership.

It will be the first time in the history of the NRL four double-headers have been a part of the schedule.

The double headers will feature:

- South Sydney Rabbitohs v Warriors and Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs v Premiers Melbourne Storm at the new Perth Stadium in Round One on Saturday, March 10;

- South Sydney Rabbitohs v Manly Warringah Sea Eagles and Parramatta Eels v Cronulla Sutherland Sharks at ANZ Stadium in Round Three on Saturday, March 24;

- Wests Tigers v Melbourne Storm and Warriors v North Queensland Cowboys at Auckland’s Mt Smart Stadium in Round Five on Saturday, April 7;

- Melbourne Storm v Gold Coast Titans and Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles v Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium in Round 10 on Saturday, May 12.

The Perth double header will feature the first match as defending Premiers for Melbourne Storm, while the Auckland double header will feature both Grand Finalists, Melbourne Storm and North Queensland Cowboys.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said the double headers would create an exciting element of next season’s schedule.

"We will have double headers in four major cities – three in Australia and one in New Zealand," Mr Greenberg said.

"This is a huge step for the game and I'd like to thank the Clubs involved for their efforts to embrace the concept and ensure the matches eventuated.

"This is also a direct result of us having more control over the Premiership schedule in 2018.

"We have had significant success with double headers at Suncorp Stadium in recent seasons and this is a natural progression.

"It will create more blockbuster events for our fans in 2018."

All four double headers will be broadcast exclusively on FOX LEAGUE, on Foxtel.

Tickets for the Perth Round One double-header are available at nrl.com/tickets

http://www.nrl.com/double-headers-t...hedule/tabid/10874/newsid/113788/default.aspx

When is the actual draw released?

Duncan Paia'aua has been selected in the Wallabies squad for the Bledisloe Cup..

Australian Rugby Union is in shambles. It seems like even the worst Rugby League players who convert to Union inevitably play for Australia at some point.

Knowing the NRL, they should have the draw ready sometime before Origin 1 next year ... if we're lucky

You really are an optimist. Let's not forget that we are LITERALLY ten days from the new contract year and there is still no finalized salary cap is there?

Duncan Paia'aua has been selected in the Wallabies squad for the Bledisloe Cup..

Australian Rugby Union is in shambles. It seems like even the worst Rugby League players who convert to Union inevitably play for Australia at some point.

When is Maranta debuting for the Wallabies? Will def check that game out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Allo
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Harry Sack
  • Browny
  • Brocko
  • Skathen
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.