NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a random question: what happened to Kyle Laybutt? Wasn’t he meant to be the next big thing post JT?

Does anyone know if the World 9's squads have been announced?

Australia, New Zealand, England, Tonga, Fiji, Samoa, Cook Islands - I'll be interested to see the sort of line-ups that get named, I'm sure there'll be plenty of players who pull out, but hopefully we see some close to full strength sides, I think it'll actually be pretty fun to watch.

Does anyone know if the World 9's squads have been announced?

Australia, New Zealand, England, Tonga, Fiji, Samoa, Cook Islands - I'll be interested to see the sort of line-ups that get named, I'm sure there'll be plenty of players who pull out, but hopefully we see some close to full strength sides, I think it'll actually be pretty fun to watch.

Tonga has reportedly had their invitation to participate withdrawn by the NRL, a stance supported by the RLIF.

this is over the issues with their board. they could get their invitation back if their issues are resolved (likely by electing a new stable board)

Tonga has reportedly had their invitation to participate withdrawn by the NRL, a stance supported by the RLIF.

this is over the issues with their board. they could get their invitation back if their issues are resolved (likely by electing a new stable board)

Yeah I read that, the article said they were hoping to re-invite them as earlier as next week once the board is settled.

Someone’s had a bad night
Disgraceful behaviour! The Storm should sack him immediately. This young man needs to be at a team with a soon-to-be captain who can take him under his wing and teach him about the evils of alcohol.

Just read on nrl.com that bateman from the raiders is seeking an upgrade in his salary/contract terms because of his performance.

I dont like canberra but this pisses me off, because a player is doing their job, they want to renegotiate the terms of their contract to get more? You sure as hell better believe they wouldnt be willing to accept a decrease in wage when they dont perform (if this was the case, our cap would be in much better shape).

He has just changed management to Isaac Moses...

It’s most likely media crap. I struggle to believe he’d be bringing this up in the week leading up to the grand final.

There are actual quotes from Bateman. However, Bateman and Canberra also mentioned they will wait until after the season is over and then sit down and sort out all of that stuff.

Bateman is one of those players I would happily give up a couple of our young guns (not Fifita or Haas) for.

He would bring aggression, experience, a bit of flair and a never say die attitude. Plus, he's only 26 so he's likely got another 6-7 years left in him.

The NRL360 goons gave Batemans manager a pasting last night, saying the timing of this is very distracting.

These player managers really do need reigning in.

I agreed with everything the said but I have to laugh because they were only so fired up because Kent is good mates with Ricky. If this was happening at the Broncos there opinion would be good on the player, he should be looking after himself and shame on Brisbane for underpaying him in the first place.

The Roosters just do it better, says Greenberg
Roosters chairman Nick Politis with captains Jake Friend and Boyd Cordner. Picture. Phil Hillyard Roosters chairman Nick Politis with captains Jake Friend and Boyd Cordner. Picture. Phil Hillyard
  • BRENT READ
    SENIOR SPORTS WRITER
    8a2fbfa2e92a609cfd30a16a25de7e5a
  • 12:00AM OCTOBER 3, 2019
  • 8 COMMENTS
NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg has studied the rosters and salary caps of all 16 clubs. No one is better placed to speak about the Sydney Roosters and the continual claims that rival clubs and supporters make about the grand finalists.
“I see all 16 club rosters and all 16 club salary caps — the way the Roosters do their salary cap, they do it better than others,” Greenberg told The Australian.
“They are smart, they are prepared to make some hard decisions along the way — and that is evidenced by a number of players that I reflect on who are not playing there any more that are still in good form in their careers.
READ NEXT
“They are prepared to let them go and then back themselves. To be fair to people like (coach) Trent Robinson and (chair) Nick Politis and others, they have developed a club that people want to play at.
“And when you negotiate with players, everyone in the public will think it is always only about money. Now money is still the key driver, but one thing the players want as much as money is they want to win.
“That is why it is hard sometimes when you are in the bottom half of the ladder to attract the best players — sometimes you have to pay overs to get them.”
Greenberg is a former club boss himself, having presided over Canterbury before making his way to the NRL. He knows how clubs operate and how they think.
In a former life, he and Politis once jostled over the same turf, fighting each other for players.
But Greenberg has always had immense respect for the Roosters supremo, although that doesn’t preclude them butting heads over issues.
“We disagree occasionally but he is not the only person in the game that I disagree with,” Greenberg said.
“I tell you what, I always maintain that we should be challenging ourselves on how we can disagree with each other but then continue to do our jobs.
“You won’t meet someone more passionate or more committed to his job than Nick. We’re talking someone who for 40 years-plus who has effectively committed his life to the Roosters and his life to rugby league.
“The game is better for having Nick Politis in it, that’s for sure.”
Asked how often he speaks to Politis, Greenberg insisted it wasn’t that often. Yet there is no question he would be wise to take heed from a person who has spent a lifetime in the game and, at the same time, built a personal empire worth billions.
His reputation has made him a formidable figure in rugby league and the business world. His shadow looms large as the Roosters prepare for Sunday night’s grand final against Canberra at ANZ Stadium.
The Roosters have become perennial contenders on his watch. They have cherrypicked players from elsewhere and added them to a core group of players who are either local juniors or have been brought up through the system.
They have dispensed with Mitchell Pearce to make way for Cooper Cronk. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck left and James Tedesco came in. Politis has been the one constant.
“I wouldn’t speak to him every week — I would speak to him a couple of times a month,” Greenberg said. “But I have huge respect for Nick and I have developed a strong relationship with him over the years. I think he is great for the game.
“Sometimes people think about Nick’s wealth being put into the club but I think what he does well is use his gravitas and reputation and standing to bring others in.
“That is what he does well. I think at the end of it Nick wants to be successful. That is what he has done at the Roosters — he has good people around him.
“Nick talks to me about issues from the long-term investment strategy of the game down to what was that penalty for.
“I said this year about Cameron Smith that there is very much a tall poppy syndrome that we like to build people up to then knock them down.
“I hear people criticise Nick regularly but as I said, we should be thankful that he is in the game. He loves it, he passionately loves it.”

All this coming from a guy that says the NRL need whistleblowers to uncover salary cap rorting...

Remember when the Eels couldn’t sign Folau for way under market value despite both parties being happy with the deal? How can the rorters get away with the same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • bazza
  • Broncosgirl
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Brocko
  • Ozired
  • Xzei
  • Footy Fanatic
  • teampjta
  • bb_gun
  • Dash
  • Fozz
  • broncos4life
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Sproj
  • Browny
  • cento
  • Morkel
  • Nerd
  • BroncosAlways
... and 25 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.