NRL General Discussion Thread - 2019

Morkel

International Captain
Apparently Tony Archer changed the name of the refs award from the Bill Harrigan Award to the Russell Smith Award.

although it has only just been reported, this happened in his first year on the job ...

my question is what did Russell Smith ever do in the NRL to deserve an award to be named after him?
Not be Hollywood Harrigan.

Foordy

International Rep
in the midst of the coaching marry-go-round and the vigorous "debate" that is on-going (especially around our situation), I think we all need to take a minute to laugh at Phil Gould and the Panthers. Acting first, they have put themselves in the worst position, IMO.

So let's take a look at the confirmed and likely coaching movements:

Ivan Cleary --> Panthers starting 2019 (likely)
Michael Maguire --> Tigers starting 2019 (Confirmed)
Des Hasler --> Manly starting 2019 (confirmed)
Anthony Seibold --> Broncos starting 2020 (Likely) --- possible start in 2019
Wayne Bennett --> Rabbitohs starting 2020 (Confirmed) --- possible start in 2019

The Tigers have the biggest upgrade IMO, going from a coach with a 48% winning record to a premiership winning coach

The Sea Eagles have signed a duel premiership winner (but need to be careful allowing him to manage a salary cap)

The Broncos have set up their future by signing a highly rated albeit rookie (will be his second year) coach

The Rabbitohs have signed one of the greatest coaches of all time a record 7 premierships to his name.

and the Panthers, lol, have chased hard a coach and gotten who in 12 seasons of coaching has only made the top 8 on 5 occasions. a coach with a winning record of 48%. This coach only made the top 8 in 1 out of his 4 seasons in his previous stint at the club.

consequently, the coach that was sacked by the Panthers has a winning record of 55% (58% at the Panthers) and has made the top 8 in all 3 of his seasons at the Panthers (this includes 2018 as he was sacked only 2 weeks out from the finals)

so as i said, i think we all need to stop what we are doing and take a few minutes to laugh at Phil Gould (and his Panthers)

giphy1.gif giphy2.gif

giphy3.gif giphy4.gif

soup

State of Origin Rep
in the midst of the coaching marry-go-round and the vigorous "debate" that is on-going (especially around our situation), I think we all need to take a minute to laugh at Phil Gould and the Panthers. Acting first, they have put themselves in the worst position, IMO.

So let's take a look at the confirmed and likely coaching movements:

Ivan Cleary --> Panthers starting 2019 (likely)
Michael Maguire --> Tigers starting 2019 (Confirmed)
Des Hasler --> Manly starting 2019 (confirmed)
Anthony Seibold --> Broncos starting 2020 (Likely) --- possible start in 2019
Wayne Bennett --> Rabbitohs starting 2020 (Confirmed) --- possible start in 2019

The Tigers have the biggest upgrade IMO, going from a coach with a 48% winning record to a premiership winning coach

The Sea Eagles have signed a duel premiership winner (but need to be careful allowing him to manage a salary cap)

The Broncos have set up their future by signing a highly rated albeit rookie (will be his second year) coach

The Rabbitohs have signed one of the greatest coaches of all time a record 7 premierships to his name.

and the Panthers, lol, have chased hard a coach and gotten who in 12 seasons of coaching has only made the top 8 on 5 occasions. a coach with a winning record of 48%. This coach only made the top 8 in 1 out of his 4 seasons in his previous stint at the club.

consequently, the coach that was sacked by the Panthers has a winning record of 55% (58% at the Panthers) and has made the top 8 in all 3 of his seasons at the Panthers (this includes 2018 as he was sacked only 2 weeks out from the finals)

so as i said, i think we all need to stop what we are doing and take a few minutes to laugh at Phil Gould (and his Panthers)

View attachment 3945 View attachment 3946

View attachment 3947 View attachment 3948
Awesome post, Foordy!

Cult3

State of Origin Captain
Darcy Lussick should be just as embarrassed that he struggled to string together a single sentence while confronting Massoud

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
Threatened a young journalist over taking one of his scoops.

Something along the lines that he'd cut off his head and shit down his throat.

A few years ago, he also made the false claim that Steve Matai was involved in a match fixing incident. It turned out the police had seized another player's phone and Matai wasn't involved in any shape or form.

Last edited:

broncos4life

International Rep
Brisbane

A few years ago, he also made the false claim that Steve Matai was involved in a match fixing incident. It turned out the police had seized another player's phone and Matai wasn't involved in any shape or form.
Classy.

Foordy

International Rep

I had to read that a few times, after seeing the ice cream van tweet, I initially thought you might be making a joke here ... that's what being on night shift does to you lol

Last edited:

Sproj

International Rep
I had to read that a few times, after seeing the ice cream van tweet, I initially thought you might be making a joke here ... that's what being on night shift does to you lol
Isn't only like 6pm there? You are in for a long night if you're already at that stage. Hehe

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter

Upgrade to a Contributor Account to remove advertising