NRL General Discussion Thread - 2019

Discussion in 'Rugby League Talk' started by Unbreakable, Jan 13, 2017.

1. ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak NRL Captain

There’s a filler in today’s Courier about what teams the writers went for. Badel is an Eels fan so that explains a lot ...

Unbreakable likes this.
  2. Certainly does.. Absolute flog.

3. Foordy

Foordy

Moses Mbye has been named Wests Tigers captain for 2019

League has lost one of its former great commentator in Billy J Smith. RIP will be missed.

4. Horseheadsup

Horseheadsup NRL Player

That's tragic news @GCBRONCO@GCBRONCO. Condolences to his family.

5. Knew him 40 years ago but lost contact as you do. Grew up listening to him and watching him clown around. Everytime some personality dies that I've grown old with I am reminded how close I am. Probably only got less than a handful to go if I'm lucky. Back on topic, RIP big fella.

6. FaithinHook

FaithinHook NRL Player

A lot of the youngins here may not remember but used to love watching him not only on the league broadcasts on channel 10 back in the day, but also on that priceless show, It's a Knockout with Jackie McDonald I think it was. Was good fun to sit back on a Sunday evening and listen to those belly laughs of his.

They don't make tv personalities like Billy J anymore sadly.

Sirlee oldman likes this.
  7. Tom

Tom State of Origin Rep

Only the good die young. Something tells me you're gonna be around for a while yet.:borra2:

Huge likes this.
  8. Tom

Tom State of Origin Rep

Noway. He was the guy on it's a knockout? I used to get up at 5.30am on a Saturday as a kid to watch that show. Many fond memories.

FaithinHook likes this.
  9. That's where I first met him, tv world. No, it's not on YouTube, it didn't make the cut! There was tv back in the day ha ha and can you believe talk back christian radio (call screener) something I was part of in the very early seventies! He was an energetic funny bastard, quick wit with a bit of an angry edge at times.

Horseheadsup and FaithinHook like this.
  10. Wouldn't call 73 young! Billy led a healthier life than I did. I was into heroin 36 years ago! My numbers well overdue but I hope for a couple more decent years before the clusterfuck hits.

Tom likes this.
  11. FaithinHook

FaithinHook NRL Player

Yup Tom, that was good ol Billy J! I think he was the original host, I can't remember if there were any others on the show after him. He was great value Billy, whatever he put his talents towards.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    Tom likes this.
  12. FaithinHook

FaithinHook NRL Player

Yeah the tv hosts of today are so one dimensional aren't they. I think back in Billy J's day as well we were not as a society so bent all out of shape with political correctness the way we seem to be today. And by that I don't mean anything like being nasty or racist to anyone, just a little more light-hearted in the way we interacted with one another and how hosts like Billy J communicated with their audiences.

13. He was a host I think on the first The Footy Show, the QLD version which was fantastic right up until some Sydney jerkoffs decided to make a national show to include the Sydneyites and they dumped our show. I think some called it the The Bronco's Show when it was in it's original and best form.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  14. FaithinHook

FaithinHook NRL Player

So apparently he had a fall at one of the establishments at Caxton St yesterday arvo and hit his head. He never regained consciousness. Poor bugger.

15. ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak NRL Captain

Oh, Mal. You are a silly old sausage...

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...s/news-story/71ec2f147678a8477c7e8e04dcbc024a

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2019
  16. Cult3

Cult3 State of Origin Captain

Wow, he thinks the Titans are 2nd best?

17. Mal's big plan to put the Titans on the map is to hope that the Broncos release our good players to them, like we did with Arrow, Taylor & Wallace.

Nice stuff, seems about as well thought out as his political career.

Kimlo, Horseheadsup, Aldo and 2 others like this.
  18. Tom

Tom State of Origin Rep

Pretty much what I took away from it too.

19. soup

soup State of Origin Rep

Yep, pretty fun really. His plan to be the best is to take second best players. How’s that working for the Titans? Maybe they could focus on keeping their own region’s players in the first place, rather than us developing them for the titans.