NRL General Discussion Thread - 2019

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
Mal will more than likely push for Kevvie. Hook would be good and steady the ship for them I doubt they will go the route of picking up an assistant with good reputation like Demetriou this time around after doing it with Brennan. Walker brothers could be interesting, but i wonder if they will think outside the box and have a look at Justin Hodges?

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
The way I figure it, Brennan had one job. If the Gold Coast were ever going to mean something in this competition, he needed to put the structures in place to allow Ash Taylor to shine and capitilise on his ability. Yet as this news break, Taylor can't even step foot on the field. After two seasons where his career has declined at an alarming rate, he's just too broken to overcome whatever personal dilemna he's facing.

I understand that Rugby League is a team sport and maybe it just wasn't meant to be for Taylor. However, Brennan never presented a viable Plan B. His idea was to bring in 'footy' players like Bryce Cartwright and Tyrone Peachey, talented players, but not the hard-nosed footy players that compliment where the club is going. Bringing in one on big money was one thing, bringing in another was something else.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Kevvie has said he won't be coaching the Titans.

I don't blame him. Who wants to coach that fucking rabble?
So does that mean the sooks like Tallis might shut the **** up about poor Kev losing the Titans coaching job because the Broncos board hand shake and lied? lol.

Honestly if he won't take the Titans job he doesn't deserve the Broncos job either. Go prove yourself in the NRL. He flopped as a coach in the SL, he never deserved to get the Broncos head coach job.

Last edited:

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
I'd 100% go for Hook. The guy has talent and as shown he can take a club that is basically running in circles and point them in the right direction. I also still think the Broncs punted him too early, that 2015 side was basically his minus Boyd and Blair.

Yes, Hook made mistakes with the Broncs (Hoffman to 6 for goodness sake) but I thought he did very well with the Panthers and was punted unfairly so Gould could get his prodigal son back.

Alec

International Rep
Kevvie has said he won't be coaching the Titans.

I don't blame him. Who wants to coach that fucking rabble?
Lol, it's not like he has the right to be choosy. Hasn't coached at NRL level, over 50 now. Seemed desperate before. This is his chance.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
I'd 100% go for Hook. The guy has talent and as shown he can take a club that is basically running in circles and point them in the right direction. I also still think the Broncs punted him too early, that 2015 side was basically his minus Boyd and Blair.

Yes, Hook made mistakes with the Broncs (Hoffman to 6 for goodness sake) but I thought he did very well with the Panthers and was punted unfairly so Gould could get his prodigal son back.
Don't forget his brilliant move to take his highest tryscorer, Oates and move him into the second row. Too young in my opinion.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Don't forget his brilliant move to take his highest tryscorer, Oates and move him into the second row. Too young in my opinion.
Fair point. I felt he learned a lot though in his time in Brissy and was a better coach in Penrith. If Siebs fails, I wouldn't be against Hook coaching this group of kids. Now everyone, fire away at that comment.

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
What was it about Penrith's style of play that suggested Hook would be a suitable coach? Was it their ability to win games despite playing terrible footy for 60 minutes? Was it their directionless attack where they had no obvious points of attack? Was it their ability to remain a fringe top four side and never make any real progress? Or just the amount of excuses that could be made for them?

Hook had his time and while he wasn't as awful as his detractors claimed, he was clearly limited. It does seem like an obvious pick up for the Gold Coast though considering their penchant for picking up Broncos discards.

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
What was it about Penrith's style of play that suggested Hook would be a suitable coach? Was it their ability to win games despite playing terrible footy for 60 minutes? Was it their directionless attack where they had no obvious points of attack? Was it their ability to remain a fringe top four side and never make any real progress? Or just the amount of excuses that could be made for them?

Hook had his time and while he wasn't as awful as his detractors claimed, he was clearly limited. It does seem like an obvious pick up for the Gold Coast though considering their penchant for picking up Broncos discards.
The titans goal shouldn't be to win a premiership in the next 5 years. They just need to get back to in or around the bottom of the 8. The Titans really should just be focused on becoming semi-competitive and having people walk through the gates again. Sounds perfect for hook.

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
The issue with Hook is that he doesn't implement effective team structures. He can get decent performances out of individuals from time to time, but so often his sides would be exposed in the crunch. Either they would find ways to lose, or they would give the opposition to big a start and fail to overcome it.

The Gold Coast need to go in a fresh direction, picking up another Broncos discard isn't the way forward for them.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
The issue with Hook is that he doesn't implement effective team structures. He can get decent performances out of individuals from time to time, but so often his sides would be exposed in the crunch. Either they would find ways to lose, or they would give the opposition to big a start and fail to overcome it.

The Gold Coast need to go in a fresh direction, picking up another Broncos discard isn't the way forward for them.
I agree with @broncosgoat above. GC shouldn't be aiming for premierships yet, they should be aiming to be competitive. Give Hook two years. In that time, he will help instil belief into the players. He can get someone else to give them structures, I mean isn't that basically how Bennett has managed his whole career?

I also don't agree that Hook doesn't teach structures. I mean, the very year he got sacked, the Panthers were actually doing quite well. He also has Cleary firing and Cleary hasn't been since. He also recruited pretty well in getting Maloney in and clearing our Moylan. He wasn't helped by an overlord who wanted to do everything his own way.

Hook also basically assembled that 2015 Broncos side, he is an excellent fit for what the Titans need NOW, I'm not talking about what they need in 5 years from now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter