NRL General Discussion Thread - 2019

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
The performance from the refs in those games was beyond "just making mistakes". They were absolutely fucking abysmal. It was one of the worst performances I've seen in years.
And that says a lot, there are pretty abysmal examples every weekend.

That female ref has been very impressive by he way, showing all the male refs up easily thus far.

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
not NRL related ...

but i want to take a second to bag out Leeds Rhinos.

They sacked David Furner a mere 14 games into a 3 year deal, after asking him to relocate to the other side of the world ....

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
not NRL related ...

but i want to take a second to bag out Leeds Rhinos.

They sacked David Furner a mere 14 games into a 3 year deal, after asking him to relocate to the other side of the world ....
If he got paid the 3 years out that's a huge win. Wish that would happen to me.

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
New era begins as Titans lock in Justin Holbrook as Garth Brennan’s successor
Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
July 31, 2019 3:05pm

Justin Holbrook’s signing with the Gold Coast is complete with the Titans brokering a two-year deal with the St Helens mentor.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Holbrook has signed with the Titans until the end of 2021 with provisions in his contract for a more lucrative upgrade if he can haul the embattled Gold Coast out of the NRL cellar and into the finals.

Titans powerbrokers have been tight-lipped about the appointment with CEO Steve Mitchell refusing to confirm whether Holbrook was Garth Brennan’s successor at Parkwood.

But the deal is done, with Titans co-owners Darryl Kelly and Rebecca Frizelle presiding over a board meeting on Wednesday to rubber-stamp Holbrook’s impending arrival at the Titans.

The Titans are expected to formally announce Holbrook’s signing over the next 24 hours.

While Holbrook was off-contract at season’s end, ostensibly making him a free agent, the transfer from St Helens to the Titans will be seamless with Saints officials working with Gold Coast hierarchy over the timing of the announcement.

Holbrook has won a staggering 62 of 78 games as St Helens coach and hopes to frank his success in Super League with a Challenge Cup final victory over Warrington on August 24.
Should ladder-leaders St Helens qualify for the Super League grand final, Holbrook’s commitments in the UK won’t cease until October 13, with the Titans hoping to have the 43-year-old on board in early November to launch their pre-season.

Holbrook’s two-year deal is a sign the Titans are being prudent with the duration of his employment, but there is a scope for a longer-term commitment if the former NRL playmaker can bring swift success to the Gold Coast.

Former Cowboys premiership-winning fullback Lachlan Coote, now at St Helens, believes Holbrook will be a sensation in the NRL and has no doubt he can handle the media scrutiny.

“Justin is the greatest coach I’ve had,” Coote said from the UK.

“I’ve been lucky in my career to work with some outstanding coaches but Justin is on another level.

“I’ve spoken to some of the St Helens boys who have been here for 10 years. They’ve had a number of coaches and they say Justin is the best they’ve had, so that’s an indication of how popular he is.”

“The big thing for me is Justin’s honesty and integrity with the players.

“It’s a small world in rugby league and coaches get a reputation pretty quickly if they aren’t honest with players.

“Justin is a great communicator and he respect you as an individual, he cares about your welfare and doesn’t try to make you something you’re not.

“There’s certainly less pressure here on coaches because the Premier League is massive and gets all the media attention, but Justin has the temperament to handle the NRL.

“He would be great for the Titans. I have no doubt he will succeed one day as an NRL coach.”

Titans culture-and-performance chief Mal Meninga has come under fire for not interviewing more candidates but Mitchell lauded his due diligence in securing Holbrook.

“Mal has been so influential in the game for so long,” Mitchell said.

“He’s worked across all levels of the game so his insight and relationship network has been great.

“It doesn’t hurt to have Mal Meninga as part of the process.”

source: Courier Mail

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
I watched that show with Fittler and Johns and they were saying he is a rookie coach. So three years or so is a rookie now? Is that how they felt about Trent Robinson?

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
Two years is enough time to determine if a coach has what it takes. To be honest a year should be long enough to observe positive changes even if only half of the squad you've inherited start showing good signs. I understand that a coach needs longer to build the squad he wants but a good coach improves what he/she has and that's the truest guide, at least as far as I'd judge the team.

broncos4life

International Rep
Brisbane
I watched that show with Fittler and Johns and they were saying he is a rookie coach. So three years or so is a rookie now? Is that how they felt about Trent Robinson?
Very different situation walking into the Roosters than the Titans. Should have gone with someone that has NRL experience.

I am no Griffin fan but he would have been perfect for a few years, as an ex-Bronco he would have suited their recruitment criteria too. His first signing could have been Josh Hoffman and he would of had the gang back together.

Last edited:

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
Well, next weekend is it. It has some massive games lined up. The top four teams playing one another in two blockbuster games. 1 v 4, and 2 v 3. For the Broncos those games will mean little but they should be absolute belters.

Fail in Townsville and the Bronco's season is done. I just don't see us making it if we can't overcome the Cowpats who will be playing their grand final.

If we do get up our interest will turn to the matches involving the teams on 20 points. At least one of them will feel some pain as the Panthers and Sharks face off. I'll be hoping the Sharks make it as they have a habit of beating Melbourne. The other interesting match is the resurgent Dogs against the Tigpies. Go Doggies !

Jedhead

NRL Player

Pretty much the correct way to re-build the Titans
It just goes to show how much of a dickhead Gould is and how much absolute garbage he talks when thinking only of his own wellbeing.

If the club sacked all of the roster bar those three mentioned players they would have no money left to bring in new players and if they did they would be well over the cap.

What he suggested was flippant and something you'd expect from biased NSWelshman who hates seeing any success at all in Queensland.

It was this 'sack 'em all' attitude that fucked up Panthers last year and it is still reverberating through that club months after he was moved on.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
I was thinking about how, even after they’ve all been put on notice, the players are still playing like they don’t give a shit. And I guess the simple answer is that most of them don’t. There are a few that will always give 100% because that is how they are wired, but for the others, they’re already at their destination. You don’t go to the Titans to learn your trade alongside the best, you go there because you’ll be paid overs and you get to live a cruisy lifestyle. I won’t begrudge players that, they have short careers, but that’s the reality.

Player’s aren’t exactly scared about being sacked. Even if they are, the Titans will be forking out the majority of their contracts, so even if they don’t attract the same deals as the Titans have signed them for, they won’t be out of pocket. Then they have the remaining duration to work hard at their new club and try to attract a similarly over-paid contract by another struggling club.

Dexter

NRL Captain
So SBurgess gets a downgrade which means his hit on Moylan is considered the lowest possible charge for that type of tackle. How is it a grade 1 careless and WTF is a grade 3 intentional which is the highest charge.
I'd love to see the judiciary give examples of what they think are the 8 grades up to intentional grade 3.

So SBurgess gets a downgrade which means his hit on Moylan is considered the lowest possible charge for that type of tackle. How is it a grade 1 careless and WTF is a grade 3 intentional which is the highest charge.
I'd love to see the judiciary give examples of what they think are the 8 grades up to intentional grade 3.
Nothing surprises me with the nrl anymore. I am a rusted on rugby league fan but the nrl is slowly eating away at my love for the game with their agendas. I love the broncos and I love the game but the nrl is destroying it.
There are 3 clubs that will be in or close to the top 4 9/10 years and I don't even need to say who they are and people would know. "Salary cap", "match review", "referee crackdowns", "50/50" penalties, they all sound good but every single person knows what sides they favour.

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
Supposedly he brought up a Jared Warea-Hargreaves tackle and a Jack Gosiewski tackle from last year that were similar and only received a Grade 1.

During the off-season, I'm going to make a point of recording every example just to show what the precedent is.

Last edited:

Fernando

NRL Player
Bris
I am absolutely not the type of person that wants the game sanitized but that was a shocker, one of the worst of the year I think. Even if a player had a squeaky clean record it'd still warrant a suspension imo. This game is a joke sometimes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter