NRL General Discussion Thread - 2019

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
Everyone in the media complains about players taking their sweet ass time exiting the field when they have been binned.

The NRL do something about it and enforce the rule.

Now it's unfair.
I don't think they are complaining about the fact that he was fined ... But to fine him more than a player that illegally hit someone in the head taking him out for a week or two with concussion is ridiculous

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
I don't think they are complaining about the fact that he was fined ... But to fine him more than a player that illegally hit someone in the head taking him out for a week or two with concussion is ridiculous
I thought that was fairly obviously the point.

The bs bias crap from the nrl has become too much.
Now, i don't think its the biggest or worst tackle I've ever seen but ponga shoulder charged on the weekend to save that try. There's no question about it. Didn't get charged and got away with it, just like slater used too. No surprises there. Pisses me off but used to that type of one rule for the media darlings, one for every other player...

But then I stumble upon the "vote for the tackle of the week" page on nrl.com....and they put that up as a choice! Hahahaha the fucking audacity of the nrl. The difference nt rules and agendas the nrl have has gotten too much for me this year....

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
The NRL said they were going to come down hard on time wasters when issuing fines. The media applauded it.

Now, they aren't.

What did they think they meant by that?

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Besides, the fine system was meant to be for lesser incidents which is why the MRC charged Burgess with a higher grading and it was the judiciary that decided it wasn't worthy of a higher charge.

Not sure what the NRL is supposed to do there. Lower the fine Gordon received because the judiciary fucked up?

Tom

State of Origin Rep
The NRL said they were going to come down hard on time wasters when issuing fines. The media applauded it.

Now, they aren't.

What did they think they meant by that?
Is the clock running when players get binned?

If the clock is stopped is it really time-wasting? I'd say most people thought they were referring to their newest grey area, which they only decide to penalise when it suits them. The shot clock.

Last edited:

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Cameron Smith’s wife given diamond ring by the NRL
August 15, 2019

The NRL is scrambling to explain why Cameron Smith’s wife Barb was presented with a diamond ring in recognition of her husband’s 400th game.

The gift was not listed among the official ones to Smith when the NRL formally celebrated his milestone in July and has raised questions about why the wife of a player would be rewarded by the game. The lavish gift was not approved by the Australian Rugby League Commission.
Cameron Smith and his wife Barb, who was gifted a ring (not the one picture) by the NRL.
Cameron
Smith and his wife Barb, who was gifted a ring (not the one picture) by the NRL.
At the time of the milestone match, the NRL revealed it was presenting Smith a Waterford crystal football after the game, as well as a specially commissioned mural in Smith’s image in Richmond. No mention of the diamond ring was made.

Greenberg presented Barb Smith with the ring at a private dinner the NRL held for her husband in the week leading up to this 400th game. While the dinner was covered in various sections of the press, there was no mention of the ring.

“Our biggest stars wouldn’t be where they are today without the women in their lives,’’ Greenberg said. “We make no apologies for honouring the amazing role Barb has played and the sacrifices she has made throughout Cameron’s career. “His feat made history and may never be done again. It was right to acknowledge the achievement in the way we did.”

The Storm denied they were involved. “We had no idea it was coming,” Storm chief executive Dave Donaghy said. “It was a gift from the NRL. We gave her a bunch of flowers. "It comes after the NRL allowed Smith a testimonial game at Suncorp Stadium at the start of last year, well before his retirement, when he pocketed $150,000 while donating $15,000 to a charity.

There’s no suggestion that Smith or his wife have done anything wrong. A concern for Smith and the NRL is also whether the gift has income tax implications. While Barb Smith will claim the ring was a gift, the Australian Taxation Office could deem it assessable income given the ring was received in recognition of her husband’s occupation.

An NRL spokesman said the gift to Barb Smith had no salary cap implications. “It is a gift from the NRL,” the spokesman said. “No different to gifts for 300 games, premiership rings or players who are paid out of the NRL marketing fund to promote events.” The NRL says that, depending on the player’s circumstances, it will replicate the gift for any player who gets to 400.

Cameron Smith at his testimonial at Suncorp Stadium. Photo: AAP Image/Josh Woning

Cameron Smith at his testimonial at Suncorp Stadium. Photo: AAP Image/Josh Woning

St George Illawarra’s James Graham played his 400th first-grade game last weekend with limited official recognition. Why Smith’s wife was given the gift at all is confusing given Smith received the Waterford crystal ball in recognition of his achievement. There are also questions around the lack of transparency around the lavish present given how well Smith has been rewarded and the peculiar relationship between the Storm and the game’s administration.

Melbourne have been allowed to celebrate their 2009 season, for instance, going as far as carrying official commemoration on their NRL jersey ‘‘celebrating 1999 & 2009 grand finals’’, with no recrimination from the NRL. This is after the Storm were stripped of their 2009 premiership for cheating the salary cap. The Storm had their name removed from the premiership trophy and were ordered to remove the 2007 and 2009 premierships from their website.

Source: The Daily Telegraph

Last edited:

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I was under the impression that kind of stuff is not allowed...

Giving a player a crystal ball in recognition of his 400th game is one thing. Giving family members gifts and keeping it hush hush. Very suss.

Last edited:

Strop

QCup Player
That is 100%, 24 carat gold plated fuckery right there. The storm and NRL are basically just doing donuts in the front yard of every other team all whilst giving us the finger. Can they be any more amateurish? Greenberg, you’re a fucking disgrace.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
So apparently the ring is worth 15k. The same amount Smith donated to charity after his testimonial.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Wonder if the NRL would have done the same for Ian Roberts partner if he had got to 400 games?
What does that have to do with anything? I bet the NRL wouldn't have done it for anybody else. When Smith gets to 450, the premierships will be reinstated.

The Strapper

QCup Player
Earlier in this thread the NRL were reported as saying they would do the same for anyone else who got to 400 games but I guess we won’t know until if/when that happens.
I don’t believe the storms premierships will ever be reinstated.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Earlier in this thread the NRL were reported as saying they would do the same for anyone else who got to 400 games but I guess we won’t know until if/when that happens.
Well on another note, this may be why Darius wants to keep going, get that 15k ring in four or five seasons time.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
It also said James Graham has. Wonder if his old lady got one. As for the premierships, it wouldn't surprise me in the least, he's having private dinners with the CEO and his wife is getting presents. Wonder if Greenburg realises Smith wants his job yet.

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Storm in a teacup really.

Reaching 400 games is a staggering achievement in a game as physically punishing as Rugby League.

It will be a long time before it happens again, if ever.

You don't become that successful without a heck of a lot of sacrifices made by family and loved ones.

The NRL did good.

As for the stripped premierships, the Melbourne Storm have always believed internally that they won those premierships.

Back in reality though, here's what the NRL thinks:

‘‘The official premiership records make it clear what happened in 2007 and 2009,’’ an NRL spokesman said. ‘‘What Melbourne choose to acknowledge is a matter for Melbourne.’’

That being said, is it true that Melbourne have 2007 and 2009 commemorations on their actual playing strip during games?

I don't see a lot of Storm games - can anyone confirm this?

That's piss poor if it's true - the NRL need to fine them for that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter