NRL General Discussion Thread - 2019

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
No you are losing control.
No, not really. I think big pete is well informed and knowledgeable and very attentive but I find his writing to be only average at best. He's a blitherer who believes the fawning praise he's received from some. No great harm in that of course.

Sirlee oldman

NRL Player
No, not really. I think big pete is well informed and knowledgeable and very attentive but I find his writing to be only average at best. He's a blitherer who believes the fawning praise he's received from some. No great harm in that of course.
No. The people who use the word loose instead of lose are average and that’s ok. They just want to communicate their thoughts and don’t really think about the conventions. Pete communicates in a way that shows he is familiar with and cares about the way language should be used and he shouldn’t be belittled for any minor short comings in his posts. Your criticisms reflect on you more than him.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
No. The people who use the word loose instead of lose are average and that’s ok. They just want to communicate their thoughts and don’t really think about the conventions. Pete communicates in a way that shows he is familiar with and cares about the way language should be used and he shouldn’t be belittled for any minor short comings in his posts. Your criticisms reflect on you more than him.
Good on you champ but I just don't agree. As a writer I find he's quite average. He's above average amongst the hoi polloi. I gave him credit where it's due but I find his writing dull and unoriginal. In fact at times I think he's actively striving to write as a professional sportswriter might do. You'll just have to deal with it as well as my apparent descent into madness.🤣

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
Came across these old quotes from the 2006 Grand Final that I found interesting.

Video Kills The Storm Star
Trailing 14-8 with just 14 minutes remaining and desperately trying to get back into the game, Storm second rower Ryan Hoffman leapt high in an attempt to take a Cooper Cronk bomb. Hoffman and Broncos fullback Justin Hodges collided before Matt King picked up the scraps and powered over the line. Video referees Chris Ward and Bill Harrigan ruled Hoffman knocked the ball forward into Hodges in what proved a critical moment.

Ryan Hoffman: "I was hoping for a green light, but I really had no idea what happened. I looked at the replay and I thought we were a big chance, but it wasn't to be. I thought he got the first touch."

Matt King: "From the views they looked at it didn't seem clear so I'm not sure when they give the benefit of the doubt...if it was awarded I'm sure it would have swung things our way."

Justin Hodges: "I wasn't worried because I actually felt like I was taken out and I didn't believe I got a touch at all, so I knew I couldn't be found at fault. I was confident."

I found the quote from Hoffman in particular telling. If Ryan was confident he didn't get a touch, it would have shown in his answer. That last line in particular is quite damning because it implies that Hoffman felt he got a piece of the ball, but only after Hodges had touched the ball.

I thought I would pass that on because I was satisfied with the decision even though the replay appears more inconclusive.

Ponga01

QCup Player
Just a random question: what happened to Kyle Laybutt? Wasn’t he meant to be the next big thing post JT?

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
Does anyone know if the World 9's squads have been announced?

Australia, New Zealand, England, Tonga, Fiji, Samoa, Cook Islands - I'll be interested to see the sort of line-ups that get named, I'm sure there'll be plenty of players who pull out, but hopefully we see some close to full strength sides, I think it'll actually be pretty fun to watch.

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
Does anyone know if the World 9's squads have been announced?

Australia, New Zealand, England, Tonga, Fiji, Samoa, Cook Islands - I'll be interested to see the sort of line-ups that get named, I'm sure there'll be plenty of players who pull out, but hopefully we see some close to full strength sides, I think it'll actually be pretty fun to watch.
Tonga has reportedly had their invitation to participate withdrawn by the NRL, a stance supported by the RLIF.

this is over the issues with their board. they could get their invitation back if their issues are resolved (likely by electing a new stable board)

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
Tonga has reportedly had their invitation to participate withdrawn by the NRL, a stance supported by the RLIF.

this is over the issues with their board. they could get their invitation back if their issues are resolved (likely by electing a new stable board)
Yeah I read that, the article said they were hoping to re-invite them as earlier as next week once the board is settled.

Dash

NRL Captain
Brisbane

Someone’s had a bad night
Disgraceful behaviour! The Storm should sack him immediately. This young man needs to be at a team with a soon-to-be captain who can take him under his wing and teach him about the evils of alcohol.

NSW stables

QCup Player
Just read on nrl.com that bateman from the raiders is seeking an upgrade in his salary/contract terms because of his performance.

I dont like canberra but this pisses me off, because a player is doing their job, they want to renegotiate the terms of their contract to get more? You sure as hell better believe they wouldnt be willing to accept a decrease in wage when they dont perform (if this was the case, our cap would be in much better shape).

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
Just read on nrl.com that bateman from the raiders is seeking an upgrade in his salary/contract terms because of his performance.

I dont like canberra but this pisses me off, because a player is doing their job, they want to renegotiate the terms of their contract to get more? You sure as hell better believe they wouldnt be willing to accept a decrease in wage when they dont perform (if this was the case, our cap would be in much better shape).
It’s most likely media crap. I struggle to believe he’d be bringing this up in the week leading up to the grand final.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter