NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that Brooks won Halfback of the Year over the likes of Hunt, Cleary, Townsend and Reynolds is a farce.

Dally Ms have always been a joke, I don't take them seriously. This year was especially bad, and the Haka was the ultimate cringe to top it all off.

“I’ve had a fair bit of thought about it to be honest, since that last Origin,” Hunt said from camp in Brisbane on Wednesday.
“Every time I’ve had the opportunity to play there I felt like I’ve played pretty well.”
The subject has also been broached by a pretty influential person in his life.
“Actually, my wife has said to me a few times ‘why don’t you just play hooker, you seem to play well at hooker’,” he revealed.

“(Playing hooker) just simplifies things for me,” he said. “I just think that’s why I play some good footy there. I just have to worry about my little bubble in the middle there.”
“Look, wherever the coach wants to play me I’m happy to play there, whether it’s half or hooker.
“I’ve learnt to live with that I can play hooker pretty well, so if they want me to play there I’ll play it. But at the end of the day, I’d still like to play halfback.”

Hopefully his wife and others keep converting him.

Hopefully his wife and others keep converting him.

Harsh from his wife.

They way she says that is how my wife talks to me when I try to bake stuff - “Why don’t just mow the lawn, you seem to mow the lawn pretty well.”

Looks like we can put a red line through Manly for the 2019 season already, if what is being reported is true ...

the reports are that Manly are going to pretty much force Barrett to stay on as coach until the end of his notice period, which is July next year ...

If they do that they will have a coach for the first half of the season that really couldn't give a **** about the club and is likely to walk out on them the second his notice period expires in July ... then they would need a new coach to try get to the finals (assuming they are still in contention)

meanwhile, all their prospective coaches are looking at the way the board is behaving and may have second thoughts about going for the job ... especially until we fill our 2020 coaching vacancy

If anything Barrett will be doing his absolute best. I assume he still wants a career in coaching, and so he's effectively auditioning for a future role.

then when he becomes a fulltime hooker, he comes back to us to replace Macca

I mixed this and the prior post up in my head and came out with the thoughts of his wife becoming a full time hooker

I'm a bad person :demon7:

Last edited:
If what i've seen reported is even remotely true (I know it's a long shot), the the Tigers will be the big winners in this coaching merry-go-round and the Panthers the big losers ... they reported the other day that the Panthers would help the Tigers land Bennett (by either buying out his contract with Brisbane or helping the Tigers get to his required salary), which would then lead to them releasing Cleary ...

so lets look at this ... The Tigers get a 7 time premiership winner with a 65% winning record and the Panthers get a 0 time premiership winner with a 47% winning record ... Damn, that Gould is a shrewd businessman :clap:

If what i've seen reported is even remotely true (I know it's a long shot), the the Tigers will be the big winners in this coaching merry-go-round and the Panthers the big losers ... they reported the other day that the Panthers would help the Tigers land Bennett (by either buying out his contract with Brisbane or helping the Tigers get to his required salary), which would then lead to them releasing Cleary ...

so lets look at this ... The Tigers get a 7 time premiership winner with a 65% winning record and the Panthers get a 0 time premiership winner with a 47% winning record ... Damn, that Gould is a shrewd businessman :clap:

Yep, I don't get it either. Ciraldo has basically been told 2 years ahead he is gone and what happens if he happens to land a premiership?? or even go back to back?? ( unlikely I know but 1 premiership is a distinct possibllty ).

Gus is all over the place.

Yep, I don't get it either. Ciraldo has basically been told 2 years ahead he is gone and what happens if he happens to land a premiership?? or even go back to back?? ( unlikely I know but 1 premiership is a distinct possibllty ).

Gus is all over the place.

If he wins a premiership, it'll help him get a future job.

Apparently Tony Archer changed the name of the refs award from the Bill Harrigan Award to the Russell Smith Award.

although it has only just been reported, this happened in his first year on the job ...

my question is what did Russell Smith ever do in the NRL to deserve an award to be named after him?

Apparently Tony Archer changed the name of the refs award from the Bill Harrigan Award to the Russell Smith Award.

although it has only just been reported, this happened in his first year on the job ...

my question is what did Russell Smith ever do in the NRL to deserve an award to be named after him?

Not be Hollywood Harrigan.

Dqg4YIsWwAA3DYL.jpg:large

Sam Tomkins at Halfback?

That's interesting.

Interesting enough for the English/NZ series to deserve it's own thread.

in the midst of the coaching marry-go-round and the vigorous "debate" that is on-going (especially around our situation), I think we all need to take a minute to laugh at Phil Gould and the Panthers. Acting first, they have put themselves in the worst position, IMO.

So let's take a look at the confirmed and likely coaching movements:

Ivan Cleary --> Panthers starting 2019 (likely)
Michael Maguire --> Tigers starting 2019 (Confirmed)
Des Hasler --> Manly starting 2019 (confirmed)
Anthony Seibold --> Broncos starting 2020 (Likely) --- possible start in 2019
Wayne Bennett --> Rabbitohs starting 2020 (Confirmed) --- possible start in 2019

The Tigers have the biggest upgrade IMO, going from a coach with a 48% winning record to a premiership winning coach

The Sea Eagles have signed a duel premiership winner (but need to be careful allowing him to manage a salary cap)

The Broncos have set up their future by signing a highly rated albeit rookie (will be his second year) coach

The Rabbitohs have signed one of the greatest coaches of all time a record 7 premierships to his name.

and the Panthers, lol, have chased hard a coach and gotten who in 12 seasons of coaching has only made the top 8 on 5 occasions. a coach with a winning record of 48%. This coach only made the top 8 in 1 out of his 4 seasons in his previous stint at the club.

consequently, the coach that was sacked by the Panthers has a winning record of 55% (58% at the Panthers) and has made the top 8 in all 3 of his seasons at the Panthers (this includes 2018 as he was sacked only 2 weeks out from the finals)

so as i said, i think we all need to stop what we are doing and take a few minutes to laugh at Phil Gould (and his Panthers)

Giphy1
Giphy2

Giphy3
Giphy4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Dash
  • kiwibronco
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.